(solved) Can't get my HD 2400 pro work

DanielSIG

21 posts in this topic

hi, I have a Gigabyte's ATI 2400 pro pcie card (94c3)(I know it's rare, spcs here)

I've took a whole week trying to enable QE/CI. But no luck at all

(I applied each of the following ways starting from a clean iPC 10.5.6 install, without display-related components selected, then I install iDeneb combo update to 10.5.7 first)

I've tried:

1. install the pkg from the post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526

but after reboot, I only saw a blue screen then soon it faded into black screen. The computer was not crashed, my LCD's LED was blinking, indicating no signal comming from the VGA connector.

2. I tried another method from this post, same problem occured

3. Using nvinstaller and efi studio (see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=995069), same problem

4. finally, thinking of maybe there's a version problem of Natit, I installed an older version (Feb. 26, 2008). But after reboot, I got a white-dotted screen. (still not a crach)

p.s. the HD 2400 pro pcie driver in the iPC install DVD is not working on my computer, upon booting, it can crash my PC

All the situations aboved are seen in Radeon HD related posts, but I still can't find someone to explain/solve them. So is does anyone knows a solution for all of us that failed to make HD 2400 pro works?

Any help/explainations are appreciated!

p.s. I'm using a Asus P5KPL motherboard and Intel Core2Duo E4500 CPU@2.20Ghz

Oh, btw, I found that I can enable the GL using osx86 tools

Look here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=156957

Escuse me, my guide is in Italian. The guide is for Leopard 10.5.5 and 10.5.6

For Leopard 10.5.7:

For CE/QI in Leopard 10.5.7 with HD2400 Pro (94c3):

Download this: zip.gif 2400xt_10.5.7.zip ( 383.25K ) Number of downloads: 47

From a clean installation of Leopard 10.5.7 or an upgrade:

1) Delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions; put the downloaded ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the Desktop, click with right button and choose Show Package Contents, double click on Contents and open info.plist with text editor, find the string with 0x94c110de and substitute it with 0x94c310de save and install the kext with kexthelper

2) Overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration with the one downloaded (you need root privileges); if you have chameleon 2.0 RC1 you can also overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder.

3) delete natit.kext (if You have it in /System/Library/Extensions)

reboot with -v -f

QE/CI should be enabled.

Giorgio

For Leopard 10.5.7:

1) Delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions; put the downloaded ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the Desktop, click with right button and choose Show Package Contents, double click on Contents and open info.plist with text editor, find the string wirh 0x94c110de and substitute it with 0x94c310de save and install the kext with kexthelper

2) Overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration with the one downloaded (you need root privileges); if you have chameleon 2.0 RC1 you can also overwrite com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder.

reboot with -v -f

QE/CI should be enabled.

Giorgio

It WORKS!!! Thank you very much!!!

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

570S/580S TFT:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

If you please, can you tell me where was I possibly wrong or how it works?

It WORKS!!! Thank you very much!!!

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

570S/580S TFT:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

If you please, can you tell me where was I possibly wrong or how it works?

I have modified the kext to use Megalodon framebuffer and not Iago framebuffer (ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro needs Megalalodon framebuffer).

Giorgio

• 2 months later...

Hi Thank you soo much for this guide. i have been looking everywhere for a solution to this problem. I am running a Dell OPTIPLEX GX620 and with JaS 10.5.2 (upgraded to 10.5.5) I go and download the KEXT that you provided in your link, and when i pull it to the desktop to edit and look for 0x94c110de i can't find it anywhere in the info.plist. is it due to the version of OSX86 that i'm using or is it not included in the zip file? any help would be appreciated! thank you,

Ryan Lynch

Hi Thank you soo much for this guide. i have been looking everywhere for a solution to this problem. I am running a Dell OPTIPLEX GX620 and with JaS 10.5.2 (upgraded to 10.5.5) I go and download the KEXT that you provided in your link, and when i pull it to the desktop to edit and look for 0x94c110de i can't find it anywhere in the info.plist. is it due to the version of OSX86 that i'm using or is it not included in the zip file? any help would be appreciated! thank you,

Ryan Lynch

The kext is for 10.5.7

Look here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=171150 this is the original guide in english.

Giorgio

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao Giorgio and all,

I followed all the steps mentioned into your italian guide, tried everything I could, rebooted dozen and dozen of times, but I can't get my Radeon HD2400 XT to work with acceleration.

Actually, I believe that it *is* working, but I get a screen corrupted full of garbage (vertical colored lines, I can guess the mouse movement and the picture displayed) on both outputs of the VGA splitter. I don't have any DVI display so I can't test with it.

I even tried to flash it with the 2400 Pro firmware (0x94C3), no change.

I checked that the Megalodon frame buffer driver was present in ATINDRV.kext - it wasn't, so I installed the one you provided. Absolutely no change.

The board was shipped into a Dell Vostro 200, it looks like a real ATI PCIe board.

Any idea ?

Thanks, Gracie,

Matthieu, Belgium

• 3 weeks later...

For Leopard 10.5.7:

1) Delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /System/Library/Extensions; put the downloaded ATIRadeonX2000.kext on the Desktop, click with right button and choose Show Package Contents, double click on Contents and open info.plist with text editor, find the string with 0x94c110de and substitute it with 0x94c310de save and install the kext with kexthelper

reboot with -v -f

QE/CI should be enabled.

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Very nice post but I have a little problem. The screen gets blank after reboot so it is a bit difficult to enter MAC and do whatever is written here.

Please is there any other way to remove the above kext? I've tried the terminal window of the installation DVD but no luck... Any help will be much appreciated TIA.

Hi Giorgio,

Very nice post but I have a little problem. The screen gets blank after reboot so it is a bit difficult to enter MAC and do whatever is written here.

Please is there any other way to remove the above kext? I've tried the terminal window of the installation DVD but no luck... Any help will be much appreciated TIA.

Just boot using the -x option : stop the bootloader (most often by pressing F8 at boot time) and enter the -x boot switch that will let your mac boot into "safe mode"... It will only load the mandatory kexts...

Please share with us your results ! I never succeeded to get my 2400 Pro to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure why, but creating a dsdt.aml file customized for my machine and adding the "Ati Wormy/Megalodon/Motmot Hack" customized with Megalodon framebuffer and after that installing netkas's ATY_init finally solved this headache problem...

It's not an easy way, but I would be happy to help anybody wanting to try my solution. Just write to me here.

hi pagaille ! could your describe the method you used but in a "for dummies" mode ? :(

I tried every possible solution to get my Asus 2400pro working with no luck up to now ... Installing the kext in this thread (of course after having modified it to add the correct ID) just renders my screen full of nice black and white squares ... the machine is not crashed since I can access it via ssh at this time but the display is just unusable ...

Thanks in advance for your help !

I have modified the kext to use Megalodon framebuffer and not Iago framebuffer (ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro needs Megalalodon framebuffer).

Thank you, Giorgio. Could you either describe how you did that, so I can build a kext for Snow Leopard, or build similarly modified kext's for 10.6.0 and/or 10.6.1?

I tried the method you described, without installing the new (10.5.7) kext, and just by adding 0x94c11002 to the relevant key in the Info.plist within the stock 10.6.0 ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Now I just get black screens after the boot with -v -f completes.

Let me know if you can provide a new KExt (or instructions to make) for snow. Thanks!

-Chris

I'm not sure why, but creating a dsdt.aml file customized for my machine and adding the "Ati Wormy/Megalodon/Motmot Hack" customized with Megalodon framebuffer and after that installing netkas's ATY_init finally solved this headache problem...

It's not an easy way, but I would be happy to help anybody wanting to try my solution. Just write to me here.

pagaille, what OS version are you using? I'm trying to adapt these various instructions to get my HD2400XT working with 10.6.0, and haven't had any luck yet. Like the other responder to your post, it just goes black. Can't see anything.

Any more info you could give would be helpful. Thanks.

Thank you, Giorgio. Could you either describe how you did that, so I can build a kext for Snow Leopard, or build similarly modified kext's for 10.6.0 and/or 10.6.1?

I tried the method you described, without installing the new (10.5.7) kext, and just by adding 0x94c11002 to the relevant key in the Info.plist within the stock 10.6.0 ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Now I just get black screens after the boot with -v -f completes.

Let me know if you can provide a new KExt (or instructions to make) for snow. Thanks!

-Chris

pagaille, what OS version are you using? I'm trying to adapt these various instructions to get my HD2400XT working with 10.6.0, and haven't had any luck yet. Like the other responder to your post, it just goes black. Can't see anything.

Any more info you could give would be helpful. Thanks.

ATI 2400 XT and PRO don't work in Snow (only change resolution, no QE/CI and OpenCl).

Giorgio

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT :

I forgot I had a string in com.apple.Boot.plist, that's probably important to get the board working.

The one I used was the one contained in the OSX86tool utility (corresponding to the HD2400), where I replaced all the occurrences of Iago by Megalodon (and IagoParent by MegalodonParent).

Note that I always used the VGA cable, not the DVI (never tested).

/EDIT

Sorry for the late answer... Here it is : my very first howto :-)

HOWTO : edit your DSDT file to enable your 2400 XT or PRO with QE/CI (at least for me)

My machine : Dell Vostro 200, Intel Dual Core 2 Duo, ICH9R based (btw : everything works now, except sleep...)

I'm currently running 10.5.8. I didn't tried this on Snow Leopard, and I don't know if it could help.

My main source for getting this to work : I once came accross this page (in french) that talked about adding some code to the dsdt file in order to get it correctly recognized by the system.

Explaining how to extract, compile, correct and edit your dsdt file is outside the scope of the howto, but you'll find plenty of explanations about this on the web. I personally used DSDTSE, a new tool (english version : scroll down) which seems to really "simplify" (that stays really a geeky trick) the whole process.

After having extracted your dsdt.aml file (tools > extract), start with adding a small bit of code in the beginning of your file, just after the headers :

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   }

Then search for something looking at this :

Device (PCI0) (note : could be PCI1 depending of your hardware)
       { 
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03")) 
           Name (_ADR, 0x00) 
           Name (_UID, 0x01) 
           Name (_BBN, 0x00) 
           Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized) 
           { 
               If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02)) 
               { 
                   Return (0x02) 
               } 
               Else 
               { 
                   Return (0x03) 
               } 

... and replace it with the following code (using PCI1 if it applies to you) :

Device (PCI0) 
       { 
           Name (_ADR, 0x00) 
           Name (_UID, 0x01) 
           Name (_BBN, 0x00)
		Device (GFX0)
		{
		    Name (_ADR, Zero)
		    Name (_SUN, One) 
 			    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		                    {
		                        Store (Package (0x1E)
		                            {
		                                "@0,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Megalodon" /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@0,deviceType", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@0,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@0,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@0,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_A"
		                                }, 

"@1,compatible", 
		                                Buffer (0x0B)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Megalodon"  /* <-----Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"@1,device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    "display"
		                                }, 

"@1,VRAM,memsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x08)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
		                                }, 

"@1,display-connect-flags", 
		                                Buffer (0x02)
		                                {
		                                    0x00, 0x04
		                                }, 

"@1,name", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,Display_B"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Card#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0E)
		                                {
		                                    "109-B148xx-00"
		                                }, 

"ATY,Rom#", 
		                                Buffer (0x0F)
		                                {
		                                    "113-B1480A-236"
		                                }, 

"device_type", 
		                                Buffer (0x11)
		                                {
		                                    "ATY,MegalodonParent" /* <--Change your framebuffer to the one you need (Wormy, Megalodon, Motmot) */
		                                }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
		                                Buffer (0x04)
		                                {
		                                    0x10  /*<-----------Ram Amount: 0x40 = 1024mb, 0x20= 512mb, 0x10= 256mb */
		                                }, 

"model", 
		                                Buffer ()
		                                {
		                                    "ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series - DSDT generated" /* Change name here  */
		                                }
		                            }, Local0)
		                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		                        Return (Local0)
		                    }
		               }

Now the hard part : Tools > Save (accept default location and name), then Compile your file (Tools > Compile)... And correct the errors if any. Google the error messages you get, you'll find the corrections quiet easily (it took me something like an hour to get mine compiling without errors).

Once compiled, install your dsdt.dsl file (Tools > Install) and reboot.

You should see a second VGA adapter - the one you just added to your dsdt file - in the PCI cards section of the System Profiler :

2400DSDT1.jpg

Now the easiest part : download netkas's RadeonHD package and install it.

Like usual, patch the ATIRadeonX2000.kext file with your PCI ID (0x94C1 or 0x94C3), reboot, and... cross your fingers :-)

You should FINALLY get full QE/CI :

2400DSDT2.jpg

Please let us know if it worked for you and mail me privately if you need assistance...

Enjoy

Pagaille

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if I could revive this topic, as I just can't get my Radeon 2400HD Pro to work.

I have a Dell Vostro 410, and a (Dell) Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB card.

I am running 10.5.8 - specifically, the iPC 10.5.6 release [ALC888, ICH10 patch, DSDT fix, SMBIOS fix, UUID and Shutdown fixes; no video drivers selected], which I have updated to 10.5.8 via Software Update. I want to run 10.5.7/8 as I want to do some iPhone programming.

I still have Darwin 5.0.132, and the Chameleon 1.0.12 bootloader

-------------------

Out of the box, 10.5.8 boots with VESA at 1024x768. If I set the Graphics Mode flag at boot or in the boot.plist, I only get 1152x864

I have a DVI cable going to the DVI port on my monitor, and a VGA cable going to the VGA port

----------------------------------

I have tried Giorgio's method:

1] I downloaded the new ATIRadeonX2000.kext and boot.plist,

2] I modified the kext with the ID, and installed the kext as instructed with kexthelper

3] I installed boot.plist as instructed.

4] I didn't have any natit.kexts anywhere; though I did have ATINV (or something like that), and various ATIRadeonX2000GA, ATIRAdeonX2000V packages and drivers. I did not delete these.

When I reboot, the screen is full of purple dots and stripes. OS X is running (I can reboot with the keyboard shortcut), but the display is not working.

-----------------------------------

I then tried Pagaille's method:

I assume this has to be done from a clean install (so from freshly upgraded iPC) - again there are various ATI bits and pieces in the extension folder, but no graphics drivers were selected on installation.

I added the DTGP method to the DSDT file, as instructed

I then added the extra info the DEVICI (PCI0) section. However, one thing I noticed is that where Pagaille had just

I had

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))

I left both of these lines as they were.

After correcting two errors, the DSDT file compiled. I saved it in the default location and rebooted.

On reboot, only one ATI Radeon HD Series was visible under the graphics adaptor. Pagaille had two visible, which may be significant. Before the reboot there was nothing under "PCI cards" on my System Info - Pagaille, if you are reading this - did you have any drivers installed already?

I then downloaded Netkas' package, installed it, made the change to the RadeonX2000.kext file, and rebooted

On reboot, the screen went blue, then black, and the machine froze (I could not reboot). Furthermore, rebooting with the -x flag does not help and I have to restore the partition from a backup.

Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong? Anyone have any ideas? Would the latest Chameleon bootloader help? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Hi !

Indeed, there is something missing in my description. I forgot I had a string in com.apple.Boot.plist, that's probably important to get the board working.

The one I used was the one contained in the OSX86tool utility (corresponding to the HD2400), where I replaced all the occurrences of Iago by Megalodon (and IagoParent by MegalodonParent).

Note that I always used the VGA cable, not the DVI (never tested).

Please try this... and let us know ! I'm excited to know if someone else succeed to get it working of if I was incredibly lucky.

Note : My father mistakenly plugged the VGA cable into the embedded VGA port (covered by a small cap, I even didn't noticed it !)... That completely broke the configuration, I don't know how or why. I still have to check what happened...

Have fun

Pagaille

Stupid question : what's the keyboard shortcut you use to reboot a hackintosh ? :-)

Thanks

Hi Pagaille,

Thanks for the response. Still no luck getting it to work, I'm afraid. Even with the extra stuff in the boot.plist I just get a black screen and a dead computer. Looks like I'll be stuck without full resolution. I'll try a few other things but I don't really have time to keep on at this much longer.

As for the keyboard shortcut, on my keyboard at least F12 corresponds to "Eject" on a Mac, so Ctrl + Windows + F12 is like Ctrl + Alt + Delete on a PC.

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi Pagaille,

Thanks for the response. Still no luck getting it to work, I'm afraid. Even with the extra stuff in the boot.plist I just get a black screen and a dead computer. Looks like I'll be stuck without full resolution. I'll try a few other things but I don't really have time to keep on at this much longer.

As for the keyboard shortcut, on my keyboard at least F12 corresponds to "Eject" on a Mac, so Ctrl + Windows + F12 is like Ctrl + Alt + Delete on a PC.

Cheers,

Matthew

What CPU have you? (AMD or Intel?)

Giorgio

I have a HD 2400.

I got it working flawlessly with Leopard. I have a DVI to VGA converter. Installed Leopard with iATKOS V7.

I now have a problem in Snow Leopard.

My monitor is 1440 x 900 but the only option I get is 1024 x 768 so it looks stretched, can I change this??

Thanks,

Ric

What CPU have you? (AMD or Intel?)

Giorgio

Hi Giogio,

I have an Intel Quad Core processor.

As I mentioned, I think I followed all your instructions without success, though I don't know exactly what iPC installs by default. I don't have a natit.kext, but there is an ATINVDR file (or something like that) which I didn't delete.

best wishes,

Matthew