vmware + Quartz extreme

5 posts in this topic

I am using vmware 6.5 on Vista with a Core i7 and ATI 4780. Those two alone seem to be a dangerous combination.

I have a plain vanilla install working in vmware, software updated through 10.5.6 with no issues other than sound and Quartz Extreme.

I can't upgrade to 10.5.7 through software update without causing a kernel panic. I could live with 10.5.6 if I could get QE to work. Is it ever possible to have QE in vmware? I have 128 MB according to vmware and cover flow works.

I have also tried almost every known install, extension, and random dvi -> vga adapater trick out there and nothing enables QE. Is this a losing battle?

Quartz Extreme in VMWare simply cannot be done. The video adapter that VMWare emulates simply isn't capable of it, just as it is not capable of more than rudimentary 3D gaming.

The adapter does support accelerated graphics but only for DirectX 9. The driver would need to do the same thing for Mac OS X, but hasn't been written yet. Also doesn't support OpenGL acceleration.

Core i7 does seem to be a problem for VMware when using 10.5.7, with currently no known solution. There is a kernel for Core i7 posted somewhere on this site, and that may help, or you could try the Voodoo kernel. If you do let us konw how it goes. Can't test myself as do not have a Core i7 system.

Bonorific

I also am running a i7 but am having trouble creating a virtual machine

I have a fully functioning 10.5.7 working on this hardware using ipc but cannot get a virtual machine.

I have selected the voodoo kernel and did the busratio=20 but still get a voodoo panic.

Any tips?

The ipc virtual image does run on my system but is 10.5.2 and is pretty slow so I would prefer to create my own.

Bonorific

I also am running a i7 but am having trouble creating a virtual machine

I have a fully functioning 10.5.7 working on this hardware using ipc but cannot get a virtual machine.

I have selected the voodoo kernel and did the busratio=20 but still get a voodoo panic.

Any tips?

The ipc virtual image does run on my system but is 10.5.2 and is pretty slow so I would prefer to create my own.

You could try the new Voodoo 2 kernel alpha release which mentions fixing i7.