Core i7 build for Pro Tools LE

85 posts in this topic

Btw, how are your temperatures overclocked with the noctua? I never did any overclocking tests when I build those i7's. Does it get much more noisier?

I don't know if there's a tempurature gauge that works on Leopard for the i7.. but if I touch the heatsink, it's actually cold to the touch - not just not hot, but cold! This is with it running at 3.3 ghz, but the fans are a bit too nosiy - the noctua comes with two extra cables for each fan, one for low noise mode, and one for ultra low noise mode - next time I take the computer apart I'm sticking them in because I hate noise.

My geekbench on the system now was somewhere in the high 9000's! :(

Gonna try EFI 10 tomorrow instead of Chameleon 2, hoping for firewire to work so well I can drop my buffer lower...

ok.. why i installed chameleon onto the efi partition in an attempt to fix the ioapic error is because i did a hell of a lot of digging, and that was someones fix at some point.

dont ask me why ioapic has anything to do with 3 sticks of ram, but as soon as i remove the third stick, it gets past that point!

as far as how much ram i currently have - only 3gb because im waiting for my replacement 6gb 1866 dominator to arrive.

and why do i want 3 sticks? tri channel.

so what mobo's were you installing all these 6gb systems?

oh yeah, and i finally got chameleon 2 and the dsdt to my efi partition, and it improved my geekbench scores (and my system clock is locked with the proper time).

im now getting around 12900, but i know there is more somewhere.. it still doesnt make sense why a 920 at 4ghz is getting nearly 1500 points more than me total, and im running at 4.4ghz currently!

also i heard the ioapic error might have something to do with an incompatible ioaipcplatform.kext (or whatever that one is)

ok.. why i installed chameleon onto the efi partition in an attempt to fix the ioapic error is because i did a hell of a lot of digging, and that was someones fix at some point.

dont ask me why ioapic has anything to do with 3 sticks of ram, but as soon as i remove the third stick, it gets past that point!

as far as how much ram i currently have - only 3gb because im waiting for my replacement 6gb 1866 dominator to arrive.

and why do i want 3 sticks? tri channel.

so what mobo's were you installing all these 6gb systems?

oh yeah, and i finally got chameleon 2 and the dsdt to my efi partition, and it improved my geekbench scores (and my system clock is locked with the proper time).

im now getting around 12900, but i know there is more somewhere.. it still doesnt make sense why a 920 at 4ghz is getting nearly 1500 points more than me total, and im running at 4.4ghz currently!

1 more thing..

my 975 is at 4.4ghz on the stock cooler and its barely warm!! cool to touch!

• 5 weeks later...
Yep, in fact you can't make a native install with cdboot-132 in your i7 since the 10.5.6 kernel can't boot with a i7. That's the reason you need an older computer to make the installation.

These are the steps to make a retail installation with cdboot-132

Burn cdboot.iso in "\CD Boot-132" folder into a DVD or CD

- Put the disc in the DVD drive

- Boot the q6600 and select the the DVD drive as boot device

- Once loaded, swap the disc with Leopard Retail 10.5.6 DVD.

- Let the disc spin for a while so it can be recognized and press enter twice.

- Os X installer will load. Now is time to setup partitions.

- Use Disk Utility in the upper menu to partition, and do not forget to choose GUID partition scheme. As the retail disc won't allow you to install into MBR partitions. (if you really want to install in a MBR partition is better to use an external USB hard drive with GUID partition scheme and once installed just cloning the installation into your internal hard disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and then Chamaleon Installer)

- Install Os X as usual.

- Once finished the computer will reboot, now load CD-Boot 132 again. Except for this time we won't be pressing enter twice but just one time. Then we type 80 (or 81, or 82, etc...until you find the disk you just installed) so now boots from hard disk.

- Let the first boot process finish (don't forget to set a password for you user account as sometimes not doing so can cause problems).

- Once you are finally at the desktop launch Kext Helper and drag and drop AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext into its window for installing them.

- Then move \Extra folder to your hard disk root

- Install PCEFI v9

- Make a fixed DSDT.aml and put it at your disk's root.

- Then follow the rest of the steps I posted

(just use the kexts I posted before)

cd_boot132.rar

This is a working cdboot132 which should work...btw DISTROS are Os X on generic pc's cancer.

Never use one of those again!!!!

They cause more problems than they solve due to so many different hacked files making impossible to diagnose something when it fails.

Hello there VooD!

I hope that you still receive and read messages from this thread.

It seems that you among others here, are REALLY KNOWING your stuff and what, when and how to do!

I would like to know if you would like to help me also, but I rather want to UNDERSTAND what I am doing and why, than just do some blind copy/paste run&script. I think I am that kind of guy who like to know how to fish instead of asking for fish :( !

Thank you for your answer!

Felix

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been posting on this forum for a couple of days and no

one could offer a solution so I though i might as well ask directly here.

I'm using Asus Rampage II Extreme with i7 920 overclocked.

I have both iATKOS v7 and ToHLeox86 distributions but none of them even boot up.

I am certain that the DVDs are not the ones having the problem.

For iATKOS, when I boot the cd and enter the options such as -v -x -legacy etc..

It starts to load awhile and then automatically shuts down my computer..

For ToHLeox86, the screen hangs dere giving me an ACPI error...

I've tried all possible solutions tt I've read on the internet but none can help!

Can anyone help me please? Must I modify the ktext files in the DVDs or anything?

Please guide me!

Thanks in advance!

I believe vanilla is the original Mac OS X right?

So how do i go about starting?

I get a bootloader like chameleon? Then it can be installed automatically?

Followed by modding of kext files and DSDT?

I would start by reading this thread or any other of the multiple threads about.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HI!

I have plans on building an i7 hackintosh to put an Protools HD3 (PCIe) inside it.

What would be the best Mobo+i7+MEM+Video configuration to achieve excelent results?

THANKS!

The best mobo would be an GA X58A UD9 so the long hd cards could fit.

On a UD7 or UD5 I don t know if people had good experience.

I7 930 would be enough

3*4 GB Ram

Radeon 5770

The best mobo would be an GA X58A UD9 so the long hd cards could fit.

On a UD7 or UD5 I don t know if people had good experience.

I7 930 would be enough

3*4 GB Ram

Radeon 5770

COOL! THANKS!

So this setup should work flawlessly?

Will everything work? I mean network, internal audio, sleep, etc.

Will I need DSDT mods? I dont know anything about it....

Do we have all the kexts needed?

Thanks again!

PS: It's seems that this mobo is way to high priced around here (and for my budget!). The best price I've found is $800 US dollars!