I hate you, JMicron. Another "I cant find my hard drive" thread.

9 posts in this topic

Currently sitting next to a machine with an ASUS P5VD2-X motherboard and the apparantly infamous JMicron SATA controller. No matter what I try, I can't get my hard disk to appear in Disk Utility. I know the disk has JMicronATA.kext on it, I see it spew a bunch of stuff to the console on boot. I tried setting the controller to AHCI/RAID mode instead of IDE mode; doesn't work. All I see is the two IDE devices (DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives) and no SATA devices.

The best part is, under System Profiler, under Serial-ATA is "JMicron JMB36x AHCI". Twice. OSX is taunting me. The JMicron kext is there, it just doesn't want to actually work.

Is there some better version of this kext I can get for this thing; some BIOS setting I'm missing, or is this thing just plain OSX-resistant? I apologise in advance if someone's already fixed it.

Currently sitting next to a machine with an ASUS P5VD2-X motherboard and the apparantly infamous JMicron SATA controller. No matter what I try, I can't get my hard disk to appear in Disk Utility. I know the disk has JMicronATA.kext on it, I see it spew a bunch of stuff to the console on boot. I tried setting the controller to AHCI/RAID mode instead of IDE mode; doesn't work. All I see is the two IDE devices (DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives) and no SATA devices.

The best part is, under System Profiler, under Serial-ATA is "JMicron JMB36x AHCI". Twice. OSX is taunting me. The JMicron kext is there, it just doesn't want to actually work.

Is there some better version of this kext I can get for this thing; some BIOS setting I'm missing, or is this thing just plain OSX-resistant? I apologise in advance if someone's already fixed it.

Dude calm down... what version of osx are you using?

a distro or a retail installation? 10.5.x?

What is the device-id of your controller?

Jmicron sata ahci doesn't need patches from a retail disk it just works! So don't screw around with JmicronATA.kext its just for the "ide ATA/PATA port" which I rather not use because of 2 gig ram kernel panic bug! It works on "ASUS P5k-e wifi ap" and maybe many other asus boards, also on p35/p45/x58 gigaybyte boards!

So Esata / jmicron sata works fine out of the box even hotswap!

Jmicron sata ahci doesn't need patches from a retail disk it just works! So don't screw around with JmicronATA.kext its just for the "ide ATA/PATA port" which I rather not use because of 2 gig ram kernel panic bug! It works on "ASUS P5k-e wifi ap" and maybe many other asus boards, also on p35/p45/x58 gigaybyte boards!

First off, I apologise if I came off as arrogant, angry, or frustrated in the last post.

Second, I'm currently using Kalyway 10.5.2. I haven't screwed around with the JMicronATA.kext; I don't need to since I'm using SATA drives. I do not know if whoever prepared Kalyway slipstreamed a modified kext into the disk. Should I try using retail Leopard instead? I'm aware that other people have gotten this particular controller to work by setting it to AHCI mode.

First off, I apologise if I came off as arrogant, angry, or frustrated in the last post.

Second, I'm currently using Kalyway 10.5.2. I haven't screwed around with the JMicronATA.kext; I don't need to since I'm using SATA drives. I do not know if whoever prepared Kalyway slipstreamed a modified kext into the disk. Should I try using retail Leopard instead? I'm aware that other people have gotten this particular controller to work by setting it to AHCI mode.

Off course try retail leopard :D its better to maintain and it may even update without hassles

• 1 month later...

Can u tell me what kexts are you using? I can make my controller to find the IDE HD but i get an input/output error and i cant mount the HD, if you could share the kexts you use for your install would be great.

On my ASUS P5k-e wifi ap everything works exempt the PATA controller, idk it might be the IONetworkingFamily.kext?

THX

• 6 months later...

hey guys,

i know this topic is quite old but may u can help me...

i've got the same problem as above and read a lot of content on "how to solve" the problem. 'cause i' m really really new to this i don't have the sligthest idea on how to include the needed kexts into the installation dvd.....

i would really appreciate if u can help me!

thx

B@sti

I have another strange JMicron problem on 10.6.2 My timemachine drive is attached to the JMicron port but it disconnects randomly :unsure:

This is the log about it:

Feb 8 08:58:34 pimpc kernel[0]: AppleAHCIPort::HandleInterruptRequest - Port 1 - HBA has trouble accessing main memory. Going to restart port. intStatus 0x20000000

Feb 8 09:01:05 pimpc kernel[0]: SATA WARNING: Enable auto-activate failed.

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing...

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: disk2s2: no such device.

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: do_jnl_io: strategy err 0x6

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: end_transaction: only wrote 0 of 40960 bytes to the journal!

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: disk2s2: media is not present.

Feb 8 09:05:11: --- last message repeated 7 times ---

Feb 8 09:05:11 pimpc kernel[0]: jnl: disk2s2: close: journal 0xffffff800ea65d20, is invalid. aborting outstanding transactions

Feb 8 09:19:42 pimpc kernel[0]: AppleAHCIPort::HandleInterruptRequest - Port 0 - HBA has trouble accessing main memory. Going to restart port. intStatus 0x20000000

Feb 8 09:20:12: --- last message repeated 11 times ---

Is my drive faulty or is this a OSX <-> JMicron problem?