Weird WoW problem, on 9600GT please help!

opscott

10 posts in this topic

The performance on my Hackintosh is awesome, except for games. I installed Sim City 4, and WoW both of which are totally unplayable at any resolution or graphics settings. Although video worked out of the box, About This Mac did not properly identify my video card so from my research I knew I probably needed the EFI string. So, I used OSX86 tools and NVDarwin and it fixed that problem, but did not fix the slowness of either game. I have run all the OpenGL tests, tried all kinds of different video types, have tried everything I could find on the forum and everything works perfect except for WoW. I have tried it on two different monitors (Dell 30" and a LG 22"), I have tried different resolutions and graphics settings in the games and they are just not playable at all. I'm getting less than 15fps in WoW with everything turned all the way down, in windowed mode on the lowest resolution. Common sense tells me there is a problem with my card (I know this card is more than capable of handling WoW), I just don't know what it is. I'm at my wits end in this regard and this is my biggest and most important issue to solve, as I do not want to have to dual boot with Windows to play WoW. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but the card is PCI-E x16 2.0 and the slot in the motherboard is only 1.0.

In About This Mac, the video card has QE/CL enabled and everything outside of the games works flawlessly. Is there something I am missing here? Am I doing something wrong, or is this video card just not the right one to use? I'll be more than happy to purchase a video card if it will work. The only requirements for the card is that it be able to play WoW and that it will drive my 30" Dell Monitor (resolution of 2560x1600), and it would be nice if it was a silent/fanless card. If any of you have any suggestions on how to make this card work rigt, or any suggestions on which card would be best to purchase please do let me know!

I have the same problem.. but.. there's an obvious rule that for me is:

increase resolution>less performance.. then if you want to manage a very large screen (increasing the number of pixel is non linear increasing respect at the increase of width.. ) so 1024*768 is 786432 pixels.. but if you double you have 2048*1536= 3145728.. which is quite different!! is 4x

then.. if you use a good driver (I use nvinjectgo 0.2.0) and you have qe/ci.. what can you do?

you have to do what most of the people do when on their older pc they load a newer game.. go to 800x600x16 and test to raise the res. step by step.. til having a good fluid game at the optimun res.

but if you attach a big screen and try a big res.. is very hard to imagine that the game play better... if it already doesn't play fine before!

Thanks for the reply, but I have already tried what you have said. I've tried small screens, big screens and medium screens. I've tried every resolution available to me and all graphics settings available to me, so I am pretty sure the problem is something with my particular hardware or possibly that I have missed a step in setting up properly. Anyway, thanks again for the reply...I'll keep slugging away at it and post here if I have any luck.

• 2 weeks later...

When you guys ask for help you really need to include your basic hardware configuration and the version of OSX, and more importantly you need to include the way that your PC became a Hackintosh. There are many different ways to build a Hackintosh and not all the methods are 100% compatible with all software.

Using a build method that can use a standard retail OSX disc is very important if you want to have the best compatibility, as well as the ability to run standard Apple updates.

I have a 9600gt and it kicks the {censored} out of every game I play, including wow, eve online, x-plane9, warbirds, etc. I play on a 2400x1100 (or something crazy like that ) 16:9 Samsung LCD.

One problem I used to have is with overclocking. For some reason, my 965P board would cause the PCIe slot to run a 1x instead of 16x if I didn't peg the PCIe speed to 101Mhz in BIOS (anthing over 100Mhz). Maybe you have a similar problem.