Hangs on Shutdown / Restart

gfxl

8 posts in this topic

As a follow up to my previous topic, I have managed to get passed the apple logo by using the bios in this thread.

Now I'm inside leopard and the first think I tried was to install the ethernet driver, also found in the above thread using kexthelper. It says that it's installed but I try to restart and it just hangs. If I'm in diagnostic mode the last line says something like "server shutdown complete". When I boot back into leopard the ethernet driver still isn't install. Not sure if this is because I didn't restart properly or not, but I figure I should get the restart/shutdown sorted first.

If you need any more info please let me know. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Update: I tried installing a shutdown fix found on this page but it still hangs whenever I try to shutdown.

I managed to install video drivers successfully.

I noticed that when I shutdown I get this error:

<Error> server_shutdown bootstrap_register().Service name already exists

I tried restarting and left it going for a few minutes (while I took a shower) and eventually it did restart. I tried doing this a second time while I watched and after 5 minutes of waiting it's still didn't restart.

I just tried this and it still hangs when I restart/shutdown.

Please can I get some help with this?

I reinstalled Leopard for the third time! Installed only chipset drivers and some applications. I still get stuck on reboot/shutdown.

The first time I waited a while and I got a message saying "Syncing disks... killing all processes kextcache[15]: didn't act on sigterm

I can't seem to install any kext files without having the reboot/shutdown work properly and I can't fix the reboot/shutdown without installing any kext files, or so it seems.

Please help I've been trying to get this to work for over a week.

hi m very noob with this...but my pc also used to hang on shut down. I found out that my system.kext version ( /System/Library/Extensions) was different from my kernel version ( uname -a in terminal). So i load the kernel m supposed to load after that n yipee...hope it woks for u too.

sorry if information was not required. m very noob

I understand the problem but I don't understand how I'm supposed to fix it.

How do I check the versions to see if they are compatible? If they aren't the same what do I change, System.kext or the BIOS? Where do I get the proper version? etc etc

More information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I understand the problem but I don't understand how I'm supposed to fix it.

How do I check the versions to see if they are compatible? If they aren't the same what do I change, System.kext or the BIOS? Where do I get the proper version? etc etc

More information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

hey...

this is how you check if the versions are same or not...

goto --> /System/Library/Extensions and right click system.kext show package contents. then double click on info.plist....

also do this

open terminal and type uname -a

in case the two versions aren't the same then while ure booting press f8 then type in the kernel with which u want to boot like this ---> "modbinkernel" including collens (In kalyway u might hav selected 1 kernel for installation but all you were doing was choosing your default kernel)...choose from the list of kernels u had in kalyway (i use modbinkernel coz its the standard for intel. (or so i suppose. pros dont b angry if m wrong :unsure: ))

give it a try dont get hopes too high my prob n ures cud b entirely different

You can also check kext and kernel versions from the System Profiler.

For the kernel click 'software' and for the extensions...click extensions.

System.kext can be extracted from Apple Updates, retail DVDs or hackintosh DVDs with an app called Pacifist, or found by using the forum search.

The Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel installer comes with a matching 9.5 System kext.

The previous 2 installs where with the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel. I chose to not select any kernels when installing iDeneb the third time though.

Just checked the versions through system profiler. Both the Kernel and System are version 9.6.0

Help please ;)

Something weird happened. I managed to reboot twice! The way it happened was I had all partitions unmounted except for the Leopard partition. And I had made sure through force quit that all applications where closed. So that allowed me to reboot but still it was an odd reboot. It was like the computer went to sleep and then it just started up again.

I tried installing my Ethernet driver kext and unmounted all the partitions and closed all applications but I got stuck at reboot again and I still don't have a working ethernet driver.