Dell Studio XPS 16

Atomsk

28 posts in this topic

A little over a month ago I bought a new Dell XPS Studio 16 to replace my aging 1st Gen Macbook Pro. Don't get me wrong I looooved my MacBook. I purchased it the day they started selling the MacBook Pros. I just needed something with a little more power and not having the ability to bump the Ram up to 4GB was getting frustrating. So after pricing out several laptops(including a new 17" MacBook Pro) I was the happiest with the pricing of the Dell. I have been using the Dell on a day to day basis running the latest versions of Windows 7 and can say I have been quite happy with it. But I still just miss using OS X on a day to day basis. So I have decided to dedicate this weekend to getting OS X installed on it. Here are the specs.

CPU Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66Ghz

Chipset Intel PM45

Memory 4GB DDR3 1066

Audio Unknown I wasn't able to find the chipset info for this if anyone can help that would be great.

Video ATI Mobility 3670

Screen 1920x1080 RGBLED LCD

Wireless Intel 5300 Wireless N(I have an Airport Card from a scrap macbook I plan to install)

Ethernet Again unknown...

I plan on starting out with a generic boot-132 disc I have and go from there. I plan on using this thread as my log of this installation and eventually a guide for other studio xps owners. If anyone has any suggestions/advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Okay so first two issues...

First one is I am getting the Firewire GUID 00000... is invalid. Not too worried about that one right now will deal with that later. The second issue is a a little more important. OS X cannot recognize my keyboard and touchpad. And it will not go past the cannot identify keyboard please press the key to the right of the shift key page. I tried hooking my apple usb keyboard up to it and it just keeps asking for me to push the key on the unrecognized keyboard... Any ideas?

Okay after trying everything I can think of I downloaded iPC PPF5 Final and I keep getting stuck on Waiting for boot volume with UUID.... I have tried switching the SATA between ATA and ACHI neither one works and also I have tried booting with vanilla -v, vanilla -v -f, -v -x, -v -f and nothing has worked always the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've tried booting up with iDeneb 1.4 distro and it seems to boot up fine. I get into the installation procedure without a problem.

Haven't tried to push it further with installation but I guess the bios needs some twinking and a few kexts or packages installed to make it work (mb chipset, sound etc).

I also tried the iPC final but I get the same error as you do even with the S-ATA set to AHCI.

Radeon kexts/packages are out there but I think the main issue here would be how to make the mb, kb, sound, chipset and network to work properly.

Okay after trying everything I can think of I downloaded iPC PPF5 Final and I keep getting stuck on Waiting for boot volume with UUID.... I have tried switching the SATA between ATA and ACHI neither one works and also I have tried booting with vanilla -v, vanilla -v -f, -v -x, -v -f and nothing has worked always the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

try to use an external dvd via usb.

I got plan of "still waiting for root device" on my desktop and even after bought a new plextor sata the only way out was use an old plextor ide over a usb case for hard disk..

try it, never know...

So i officially bought this, anyone ran into any issues with any of the the following hardware configurations

XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3M L2 Cache)

4GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm forXPS

HD AUDIO 2.0

Backlit Keyboard

8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive for XPS1640

ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670 - 512MB

500GB 7200RPM Free Fall Sensor Seagate Hard Drive

Intel 5100 Wireless-N (1x2) Half Mini-Card

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

I did lot of testing this weekend with both Kalyway and IPC disks on my Dell XPS Studio 16.

Installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 disk went smoothly, once that was done I applied Kalyway Combo update to 10.5.3 before downloading upgrades from Apple site. Just followed instructions available here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t152801.html) while upgrading. I managed without too much problems to bring the installation up to 10.5.6. No wifi, eth, sound and only 1024x768 with video card not being recognized, but was nice to see the OS working.

My hopes were with IPC osx86 10.5.6 since it has newest drivers in it so I downloaded BETA version. Installation went pretty smootly as expected, no issues at all, however it got stuck on the "waiting for root device..." on reboot. Didn't bother to play with it, thought it was down to the wrong drivers for the motherboard that I selected during install. So I patched BETA version by applying 5 patches and tried installation of IPC osx86 FINAL, however that one got stuck on the dvd-boot screen with "waiting for root device...". After couple switch off/on/boot attempts, instalation moved a bit further, recognized the boot device, also recognized Touchpad but got stuck on USB sleep detection and didn't go further.

I am going to play a bit more with IPC osx86 BETA, now that I know that it can install properly. Will see if different selection of chipset drivers makes it to work and boot properly. Will keep you guys posted.

**** CONFIG: Dell XPS Studio 16, 500GB, 2.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 *******

• 3 weeks later...

Here,

If you are using iAtkos v7, at the bottom of the page there are detailed instructions on getting everything to work except for the video and intel 5100 - I just found a broadcom airport express card and I am going to install it into the WWAN portion of the laptop. and obviously you can boot with other methods, but this one seems to work great (sans video, which I hope is fixed someday)

iAtkos on M1640

<br />Here,<br /><br />If you are using iAtkos v7, at the bottom of the page there are detailed instructions on getting everything to work except for the video and intel 5100 - I just found a broadcom airport express card and I am going to install it into the WWAN portion of the laptop. and obviously you can boot with other methods, but this one seems to work great (sans video, which I hope is fixed someday)<br /><br /><a href="http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4661&p=33971" target="_blank">iAtkos on M1640</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

the guide was most helpful, many thanks, but my xps keeps booting back to the windows partition after osx installation. ive followed everything. hmm.....

Which bootloader are you using? you may what to try Chameleon v2, it should allow you to select which os you want to run. That or you may need to restart and re-partition everything / re-install windows after you install leopard. I've never dual booted this though. so I am not sure.

Does anyone know if netkas had started a mobility radeon driver? if so, maybe I could take it apart and tweak it, but I am not sure where to look. I know that there is something going on with the framebuffers? of the video card that do not allow it to be connected correctly in leopard, but there has to be a way to fix it....

<br />Which bootloader are you using? you may what to try Chameleon v2, it should allow you to select which os you want to run. That or you may need to restart and re-partition everything / re-install windows after you install leopard. I've never dual booted this though. so I am not sure.<br /><br />Does anyone know if netkas had started a mobility radeon driver? if so, maybe I could take it apart and tweak it, but I am not sure where to look. I know that there is something going on with the framebuffers? of the video card that do not allow it to be connected correctly in leopard, but there has to be a way to fix it....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

im using iatkos v7. hmm ill try that out and hopefully itll work out

<br /><br /><br />

im using iatkos v7. hmm ill try that out and hopefully itll work out

You just need to set your windows partition back to active. I'm not sure how as i don't have a dual boot on my machine but i've read it on one of the threads here, or you can try 3ng1and's way. Try using any disk utility software like Hiren's boot cd.

Thanks 3ng1land, i would like to get some resolution working on mine. I haven't heard anything about netkas's project.

Today at work I am going to see if I cant modify one of netkas's ati mobility drivers (Maybe the 2600?), and am expecting to have to re-install or revert the drivers back a few times, but hopefully we can get atleast the resolution fixed for now, if not QE/CI - I heard though about something involving frame buffers for the ATI mobility cards, and Toshiba only making them a different way, can someone please explain this, or do we know for sure that toshiba's motherboards talk to the video cards differently than all other laptops (which seems unlikely to me, but I would like any information I can possibly get)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to get the audio working? I have nothing working on mine and i've tried so many packages and kexts. The only things that's working is video and even that, i don't have resolution or QE. Any leads would be much appreciated

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
A little over a month ago I bought a new Dell XPS Studio 16 to replace my aging 1st Gen Macbook Pro. Don't get me wrong I looooved my MacBook. I purchased it the day they started selling the MacBook Pros. I just needed something with a little more power and not having the ability to bump the Ram up to 4GB was getting frustrating. So after pricing out several laptops(including a new 17" MacBook Pro) I was the happiest with the pricing of the Dell. I have been using the Dell on a day to day basis running the latest versions of Windows 7 and can say I have been quite happy with it. But I still just miss using OS X on a day to day basis. So I have decided to dedicate this weekend to getting OS X installed on it. Here are the specs.

CPU Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66Ghz

Chipset Intel PM45

Memory 4GB DDR3 1066

Audio Unknown I wasn't able to find the chipset info for this if anyone can help that would be great.

Video ATI Mobility 3670

Screen 1920x1080 RGBLED LCD

Wireless Intel 5300 Wireless N(I have an Airport Card from a scrap macbook I plan to install)

Ethernet Again unknown...

I plan on starting out with a generic boot-132 disc I have and go from there. I plan on using this thread as my log of this installation and eventually a guide for other studio xps owners. If anyone has any suggestions/advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

any news for the video card drivers?

• 3 weeks later...