Computer able to sleep... but with it's eyes open?

d00m42

10 posts in this topic

I was re-installing Windows XP on my brother's computer (an HP Pavillion a1120n, kind of old), and decided to test OS X out for fun (I use it on my desktop and laptop).

I got literally everything working, including QE/CI on his clunky old Intel GMA 915 with 64 MB of VRAM (and it runs pretty smooth too!), but the only odd thing is that every time I try to sleep the computer, the screen (and most of the computer) remain on. The cursor disappears, the hard drives stop spinning, and the fans get a little quieter, but the screen "freezes" almost like a screenshot of what was there stays on the screen until I move the mouse or hit a key. At that time, the computer "wakes up" fine and everything works normally.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I did some searching and only found 1 other person with a similar problem (except they had a different GMA card and their problem was solved with switching from VESA graphics to a regular driver, and I already have a working graphics driver).

All help is appreciated :)

PS. The shutdown/restart works fine, it's only sleep with the issue. I am using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel as well (as his computer will not support Vanilla unfortunately; it has a 3.07 GHz Pentium 4 processor).

Just replying to let you guys know (all 7 who have viewed this post), that I have tried replacing a few kexts related to power management, as well as video drivers and nothing has worked.

Just replying to let you guys know (all 7 who have viewed this post), that I have tried replacing a few kexts related to power management, as well as video drivers and nothing has worked.

I tried a few more things related to kexts and boot flags and who knows what else.. isn't there anyone out there that can offer some input? Perhaps at least something to start on?

I have the same problem with my old SSE2 Pentium M Dell laptop. I'm using the Voodoo kernel too. What version did you install? Did you try any bios settings? I'd like to get sleep working on mine as it would be more portable. Shutdown/Restart works, but takes forever on this old thing.

I have the same problem with my old SSE2 Pentium M Dell laptop. I'm using the Voodoo kernel too. What version did you install? Did you try any bios settings? I'd like to get sleep working on mine as it would be more portable. Shutdown/Restart works, but takes forever on this old thing.

Thanks for the reply, it's been kind of quiet in this thread. I used iDeneb v1.4 (10.5.6) with the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel. I might try a different kernel but I don't see why it won't work with the Voodoo one. I have tried the bios settings, although the bios of this computer isn't extremely comprehensive.

I actually did that a while ago back a few posts, and it didn't seem to do any good. The same problem remains; the computer's screen and lights/fans stay on when the computer sleeps, but it actually does "sleep" despite this.