Enabling Quartz Extreme for 9800m GTS

19 posts in this topic

Howdy, all. I installed the drivers for the 9000 series graphics cards, then used aqua-mac's strings for my graphic card specifically (the 9800m GTS w/512mb RAM). OSx86 tools had no trouble enabling QuartzGL, but I have had no luck so far with QuartzExtreme.

I have not tried any version of nVinject, nVkush, or any other nVidia kexts as aqua-mac's tutorials specified that they should be avoided, and would need to be deleted if you already had them.

I installed iDeneb 1.4, OSX 10.5.6 on a Gateway P7811FX. I can post detailed specs at your request.

At long last, I got QE/CI enabled! This made a huge difference on my OpenGL tests. Here's my method for the 9800m GTS w/512mb RAM:

0) DELETE ALL NVIDIA/GEFORCE KEXTS, AND REMOVE YOUR EFI STRINGS.

1) Install aqua-mac's 9000 series drivers, then use his repair permissions script. Clear the extensions cache with OSX86 tools. Reboot.

2) Use the NVinstaller v.52 installer, select 512mb, DO NOT select go/mobile. Clear extensions cache. Reboot.

3) ???

4) Profit!

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that the above mentioned method works - installing aquamac's 9000 drivers and then installing nvinstaller v.52. And no efi strings in boot.plist.

This is on a ASUS G50VT-X6 with 9800M GS. QE/CI works. Full resolution (mine is1680x1050). External display works only through HDMI (I used a HDMI-to-DVI dongle for connecting). Connecting a monitor on VGA and detecting displays in system preferences pane causes the display to hang. Also, the machine hangs when display goes blank while idling - not sure it is due to drivers or some other issue - so disable the display idling settings.

Thanks a lot for the workaround.

Wow - I spent a whole weekend trying this and every other combination I could think of and with this solution I only got a blank screen every time. Actually I did get backlight to one monitor from HDMI so it had a signal but no picture. Nothing from VGA and definitely no output to LCD.

This was on a G50vt-X5 and a retail install.

Update: I would like to add that with 10.5.7, the aquamac stuff is not needed. Just use NvInstaller.

I might soon create a short guide on installing osx on g50vt(x6) - although all the information is out there, might be good to put it all at one place and make it trivial. In short, I started with iDeneb-1.4 10.5.6 (just the default options - absolutely no changes). Then I installed Chameleon 2 and DSDT.aml (trivial, from inside Linux) - should be the same result if one uses custom BIOS. (I tried that too, works fine, but I prefer vanilla asus bios.) That is it. It upgrades to 10.5.7 fine. Just used Nv Installer 0.52 thereafter and all is good. [For sound, I am using VoodooHDA.kext (remove AppleHDA, AppleAzalia and co) - works out of box. I am using Dell 1510 half mini-pci (broadcom 4322/432b chip) instead of Intel 5100 for wireless - again works out of box (if possible, try a full sized atheros card). The ethernet (realtek 8168/8169) is supported out of box too - no need for (psystar's?) r1000 driver. Overall, a(n almost) perfect Hackintosh. Time permitting, I might try a retail install sometime. I would also add that I had a hard time with iAtkos 5i on this machine.]

• 5 weeks later...

And another update. The latest drivers from EVGA for their GTX 285 for Mac (see here) works better than that in 10.5.7. With added nvcap values (me using NVinject.kext, see here for details on editing), I now have all three of internal display, hdmi and vga working (of course at most two at a time) along with full res and qe/ci on 9800M GS (internal displ is 1680x1050). The nvcap values that work for me are

04000000 00001E00 01000000 00000000 00000000

i.e.,

BAAAAAAAHgABAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

, i.e., outputs 2 through 5 on channel 1 (11110 = 1E) and output 1 on channel 2 (00001 = 01). Note that the default nvcap values for me were 03 and 0C respectively (NvInstaller v.52).

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm, the EVGA drivers (same as the ones on Nvidia's driver downloads page, i.e., beta drivers for GTX285 on Mac) (along with a injector like nvinject) also work for those ASUS G50VT's with 1366x768 internal display. (May require the above NVcap to enable both dvi and vga.) Also, while installing the Nvidia drivers, if it bails out saying 'unsupported system' (due to model identification string in system profiler reporting other than macpro), use these modified drivers with checks removed (or else use a /Extra/smbios.plist if using Chameleon2).

• 4 months later...

As an update, I am attaching the following three kexts:

1) modified 32-bit NVinject.kext (0.2.1) that works in both 10.5 and 10.6.

2) modified 64-bit NVinject.kext (from kexts.com) that works only in 10.6 64-bit.

3) modified 32/64-bit Natit.kext (from kexts.com) that works in 10.6 in both 64-bit and 32-bit.

Just pick one of the three and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/. Do not use any other injectors or any efi strings. Those using 10.6 may best use Natit.kext.

A note to those trying to modify an injector (especially based on Natit): apart from having appropriate NVCAP, be sure to set IOProbeScore to 0 and video ram size (VRAM,totalsize) in the Info.plist.

NVinject.kext.32bit.512mb.zip

NVinject.kext.64bit.512mb.zip

Natit.kext.zip

• 1 month later...

I am having some serious issues with my 9800M GTX on a rebranded Clevo M571TU (Zepto A17 Hydra)...

I am trying to get 10.6.1 running (SnowOSX Universal 3.5) but I am having no luck getting QE/CI working. After my second reinstall and a very detailed post over on infinitemac I am at a loss.

I would post my full details in a new post here but alas, new members are not allowed to create new threads.

Does anyone know if this method would be applicable for the 9800M GTX (1024 MB VRAM) as well?

Thank you in advance,

Gasher

You're posting in the wrong forum, this is for 10.5.x. Most of the thread is old and some of the information posted in it is obsolete.

The EVGA/Nvidia GTX285 drivers discussed here are for Leopard 10.5.x - don't install them on Snow Leopard.

The NVCAP values and hdas' modified Natit posted here might work for you though.

Read the 'guide for all nvidia boards' by Krazubu at the Project OSX forums (google it).

Hello again Beerkex'd,

I read up on the information you gave me and as far as I can see, the guide you referenced me to (this one). Is out of date, either by about a year or by half a year, depending on what other information and postings (espec. from Krazubu) that I take into consideration.

The problem is that the post to which Krazubu directs people in need for their NVCAP string, has been partially deleted (this post). Instead it is suggested that people use NVEnabler. I tried to dig up as much as I could on this NVEnabler extension but when I check it in property list editor I can not find any relevant information which would help me reveal my NVCAP string.

New question: What is the best way for people without the access to a windows installation (to extract the ROM from video card and then use NVCAP Maker) to create the NVCAP string for a 9800M GTX with 1024MB vram?

Thank you,

Gasher

But you shouldn't need to create a custom NVCAP string if you use NVEnabler. As Krazubu says, it is set automatically.

You can't see your NVCAP setting by opening the kext, AFAIK it is patched in memory on-the-fly.

If you want to see your NVCAP you need to do an ioreg dump. Read the NVEnabler thread.

Have you even tried NVEnabler yet?

Hello again...

Well... for some ungodly reason I was not getting NVenabler to work when I was using it previously... HOWEVER... after having downloaded OSX86 Tools I used it's suite of scripts which make all the needed "hands on" kind of stuff after having messed with (amongst others) kernel extensions.

Rebooted once. System hung.

Rebooted a second time, unplugging ethernet cable and USB mouse. It boots... AND QE/CI WORKING!

Somehow, somewhere, I must not have performed the correct hands on procedures after having manipulated the kexts directory. Anyways... it works now and I am thrilled to see this wonderful computer performing EXTREMELY well with my favorite operating system!

Still to come though... Why is the system refusing to boot when I have the ethernet cable and USB mouse plugged in? Will I ever find kexts for my beloved wireless Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:4235] (its supposed to be the Intel WiFi 533AN 450Mbit Wireless module).

But most importantly... the soundcard... Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03). Some kind of Intel HDA card and VoodooHDA kext is not responding.

I'll keep on working... sorry for some off topic data in the thread. If you think you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your help Beerkex'd!

/Gasher

Well done.

Are you saying, that if you plug in your mouse and ethernet when it's done booting then there are no problems?

If you're using the Chameleon 2.0 boot loader, try (for the USB mouse issue) enabling one or more of the USB fixes in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. You can find more information in boothelp.txt that comes with the official Chameleon download.

About the ethernet, dunno. Well you can try (if you're using a recent version of Chameleon 2.0) setting EthernetBuiltin = y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist as well.

I didn't write about those particular settings in my guide yet, but at least you can see how to get Chameleon 2.0 installed if you don't have it already. Take a deep breath and dive in here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712

About the sound - I think you need more detailed information to troubleshoot that, the device ID is not accurate enough, there are several different chips used (realtek, ALC, Analog Devices) on the ICH9. Try searching by motherboard make and model too.

• 5 months later...