10.5.5 on vmware 6.5 [hardware: i7-920 ; 6GB ram]

12 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have a Leopard 10.5.5 (iDeneb) virtualization workin on my vmware 6.5

my specs are: i7-920 - hyper threading = off ; to keep 2,6 ghz for each core.

6 GB DDR3-1066 ram.

vmware 6.5 boot leopard as FreeBSD with two cores and 1,5 GB ram. Leopard is not on my windows partition. I also typed in platform=X86PC

Leopard is really slow - It is almost impossible to work with (firefox etc.). Playing soundfiles is impossible. Leopard is repeating the same 10 milliseconds like 10 times before playing the next 10 milliseconds, and so on.

10.4.6 is pretty fluently - no lag in playing audio and using safari, even though using just one core of the processor and 1024mb ram.

but Tiger is not offering screen sharing in iChat - the reason I need to have Leopard.

Any advice?

Best wishes,

Thio

Hey,

I have a Leopard 10.5.5 (iDeneb) virtualization workin on my vmware 6.5

my specs are: i7-920 - hyper threading = off ; to keep 2,6 ghz for each core.

6 GB DDR3-1066 ram.

vmware 6.5 boot leopard as FreeBSD with two cores and 1,5 GB ram. Leopard is not on my windows partition. I also typed in platform=X86PC

Leopard is really slow - It is almost impossible to work with (firefox etc.). Playing soundfiles is impossible. Leopard is repeating the same 10 milliseconds like 10 times before playing the next 10 milliseconds, and so on.

10.4.6 is pretty fluently - no lag in playing audio and using safari, even though using just one core of the processor and 1024mb ram.

but Tiger is not offering screen sharing in iChat - the reason I need to have Leopard.

Any advice?

Best wishes,

Thio

Could you try installing using my templates? Designed for retail Leopard, but probably OK for iDeneb, but personally I would go with vanilla Leopard. Sound is a little problematic as only old Maxxuss driver works. Anyway check out this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

Donk's method works great, but I have not tried to install it from scratch on a quad core environment like your core-i7. What I noticed was that if I copied my VM to another machine, it seems to run noticeably slower even though the machine has insanely better hardware. Makes me wonder if I should install it from scratch for different CPU.

See my post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...80#entry1139790

Thanks for the answers.

I really want to try these leopard templates out, but I am pretty confused by the thread - my english is not the best, and I don't see which part of the thread is the guide for installing it, what's new, and so on. Seems like it changed a bit, because the post got edited several times.

So could you please do another summary for me?

That would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes.

Thanks for the answers.

I really want to try these leopard templates out, but I am pretty confused by the thread - my english is not the best, and I don't see which part of the thread is the guide for installing it, what's new, and so on. Seems like it changed a bit, because the post got edited several times.

So could you please do another summary for me?

That would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes.

http://tangentlin.wordpress.com/2009/04/26...-also-runs-mac/

I basically simplify what Donk has written. Hope it helps.

http://tangentlin.wordpress.com/2009/04/26...-also-runs-mac/

I basically simplify what Donk has written. Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot! Thats what I were looking for.

But I just have a OS X 10.5.6 Retail version in *.dmg. VM ware doesnt support *.dmg-files, thats why I tried to convert it to *.iso

Didn't work out really well - VMware does not boot from it. Well, that was before I read your guide. I am going to give it a try (I did not signiso when I tried it) today. I also try to get a original retail DVD.

But I just have a OS X 10.5.6 Retail version in *.dmg. VM ware doesnt support *.dmg-files, thats why I tried to convert it to *.iso

Didn't work out really well - VMware does not boot from it. Well, that was before I read your guide. I am going to give it a try (I did not signiso when I tried it) today. I also try to get a original retail DVD.

There seems to be some issues with i7 processors and the kernel. I don't have the luxury of a i7 processor to test, but there is a kernel designed for it http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162100.

Leopard comes with a tool, Disk Utilities, that would allow you to convert .dmg to .cdr file. You will need to fiddle with options till you see it exporting the .dmg to .cdr. .cdr files are essentially .iso image.

I get stuck when I need to type in "9F".

Nothing happens after that - because I guess 9F is the wrong adress. I tried it with several ISOs (original retail, ideneb, kalyway, JaR...)

(btw. I will have a original OS X retail dvd tomorrow)

Edit: Finally made it. It boots from the retail DVD iso file. but gets stuck:

http://i40.tinypic.com/f42tcg.jpg

Nothing happens after that.

I get stuck when I need to type in "9F".

Nothing happens after that - because I guess 9F is the wrong adress. I tried it with several ISOs (original retail, ideneb, kalyway, JaR...)

(btw. I will have a original OS X retail dvd tomorrow)

Edit: Finally made it. It boots from the retail DVD iso file. but gets stuck:

http://i40.tinypic.com/f42tcg.jpg

Nothing happens after that.

Is that a real retail DVD? Or a machine restore DVD?

Is that a real retail DVD? Or a machine restore DVD?

Well, I downloaded a "OS X 10.5.6 retail dvd" torrent. All I know is, that the DVD was part of the "mac book air" box, because when I boot it from windows, it wants to install a software for providing the dvd player through airport and stuff.

Sounds like a restore CD, huh?

Edit: Well it doesnt say much, but it is the most seeded torrent for a retail OS X version.

Well, I downloaded a "OS X 10.5.6 retail dvd" torrent. All I know is, that the DVD was part of the "mac book air" box, because when I boot it from windows, it wants to install a software for providing the dvd player through airport and stuff.

Sounds like a restore CD, huh?

Edit: Well it doesnt say much, but it is the most seeded torrent for a retail OS X version.

Sounds like a restore DVD.