HOW TO Install Retail OSX 10.5.6 on Dell Studio Hybrid

mig21

36 posts in this topic

HOW TO Install Retail OSX 10.5.6 on Dell Studio Hybrid

+Acknowledgments+

I take no credit for this writing. This tutorial is a compilation of multiple guides available in the forums and the product of a LOT of trial and error on my part. Thanks to all the folks in these forums that write the software that makes this possible. Thanks to Willsl for the video drivers and the patience to answer all my questions.

+Assumptions+

This tutorial assumes that you already have a Mac or hackintosh computer up and running. You are probably asking yourself, if I already have a hackintosh running, why would I do this? Simple answer. The closer you can get to a "vanilla" install; the least likely an Apple software update will break your computer. This tutorial will guide you on how to use that computer and an external USB hard drive to install a Retail copy of OSX 10.5.6 onto the external hard drive. Once you have installed the retail copy on the external USB HD, you can physically swap it with the internal one and voila! You now have a retail install of OSX that can be safely updated using Apple's software update software.

If you don't have a hackintosh handy, you can download and install "iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5" on your Hybrid to get it going. Follow my other tutorial posted here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...164741&st=0

+What works after install

2 Cores

Wireless

LAN

USB ports

Video port, but only in VGA mode. You need to connect a DVI-to-VGA adaptor to the DVI of the hybrid and connect your monitor via VGA.

Keyboard and mouse

Multimedia card slot

Video with Quartz Extreme (QE) and CI

+What doesn't work:

Audio (can't find a ketx that works without issue)

DVI/HDMI ports ( a mystery why it doesn't work)

+Files Needed-

-Retail Copy of Mac OSX 10.5.6 (Buy a copy)

-Chameleon v2 r431 or latest release

-DSDT Patcher

-Ketx Helper b7

-X3100 Patched Video Ketx's

Download from this post (Thx Willsl)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1199899

-Dell Post Installer Package

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

-Ketx's

You'll need "SMBIOSEnabler.ketx" and "dsmos.ketx", download attachment.

Ketx.zip

+Optional Audio Drivers, you only need one (still have a few bugs)

-Voodoo HDA (Thx Wilsl!)

Download from this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1133242

-Apple Azalia Audio (Thx tanguy00!)

Download from this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1132545

+Get Started+

Start your MAC/Hackintosh computer and connect the external USB HD to it.

Step I � Convert your install DVD to an .iso image

1. Insert the retail copy of OSX 10.5.6 into your DVD drive

2. Open Disk Utility, located in the "Applications>Utilities folder".

3. Select the DVD on the left hand pane.

4. Click on the 'New Image' icon. Give your soon to be created image a name but make sure you use a ".cdr" extension. For example, "OSX Install Disk.cdr".

5. Select 'DVD/CD Master' as the image format and "none" for Encryption. Click "Save".

6. Disk Utility will convert the file to an image. After it finishes, replace the 'cdr' extension to 'iso'.

Note: You can use these steps to convert MAC .DMG or .IMG files to .ISO images.

Step II - Prepare the external USB HD for install

1. Open Disk Utility, located in the "Applications>Utilities folder".

2. Click on your target drive (or target drive/partition) in the left window

3. Then look right and click on the Partition Tab

4. Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition

5. Then fill in the Name with: OSx86

6. Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

7. Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

8. Click Apply, once it's done close "Disk Utility".

Step III - Installing OS X from Retail

1. Go to the retail .iso image we created in step one and mount it (double clicking on it).

2. Open a terminal window

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages
open OSInstall.mpkg

4. Install OSX onto your OSx86 labeled drive

Step IV - Remove unwanted video kext's

1. Open your USB mounted hard drive.

2. Go to the "/System/Library/Extensions" folder and delete all of the following kext's:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100.kext

AppleIntelGMA3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Step V - Patch the OS

1. Run DSDT Patcher and apply it to your external hard drive. For the options, select "Darwin/Mac OS X" as your OS, click on the checkbox next to "Apply DSDT Patch to", and select your USB hard drive from the drop down list. Lastly, click on "Run DSDT Patcher" to run it. Once the patcher finishes doing its magic, you should have a file called "dsdt.aml" in the root directory of the USB HD.

2. Move SMBIOSEnabler.ketx and dsmos.ketx to the "/Extras/Extensions" folder.

Step VI - Install Chameleon bootloader

1. Install Chameleon on the USB hard drive. When you get to the "installation type" screen, click on "Change Install Location" and make sure you choose your USB hard drive during the install!

Step VII - Cross your fingers and reboot

1. Reboot your computer and when you see the "Dell" logo, press the <F12> key on your keyboard. This will take you to the boot options menu. Select your USB HD from the list and press enter. Then you will see the graphical menu for Chameleon and it will show you your USB HD labeled OSx86, select it from the option and press enter. Go through the new MAC setup.

Step VIII - Install Video Drivers with Ketx Helper

1. Open the Video Driver zip file by double clicking it

2. Open the Ketx Helper Application and drag all of the video driver files to it. Type in your password and click "EASY INSTALL". Reboot your computer into the USB HD. Once you reboot, adjust your screen resolution by going to "System Preferences>Displays".

Step IX - Install the SD card reader driver (and optional keyboard layout)

1. Unzip the "Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.4.1.zip" file by double click on it.

2. Open the unzipped folder and execute the package

3. When you get to the screen that allows you to select the drivers you want to install, select "Others> SD Card Reader" and nothing else.

4. Continue through the install

This package also contains a few international keyboard layout ketx. You can install these if you have a French or German, etc type of keyboard. If you have a United States keyboard, you don't need to install this.

Step X - Update your System

1.Run Apple software Update and update your system. I suggest you DO NOT update to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 via the apple update software as this might render your install unusable.

Step XI - Copy the contents of the external USB hard drive to the internal one

WARNING: you are about to erase your internal HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Click on the external HD, in the left window, and drag it to the "Source:" textbox.

3. Click on the internal HD, in the left window, and drag it to the "Destination:" textbox.

4. Select the checkbox for "Erase destination"

5. Click on "Restore".

The copy process will take some time, let it run. Once it is complete, your internal HD is now a mirror image of your external HD. You can reboot your computer from the internal HD.

NOTE: If your computer fails to boot from the internal HD, boot from your external HD, and install Chameleon onto the internal HD. You should now be able to boot from the internal HD. I also noticed that after installing certain applications you cannot boot from the internal HD. Once again, boot from external HD and reinstall Chameleon to the internal HD.

Step XII - Make a backup of your HD (Optional)

I would strongly recommend that you make a backup of your install. Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper should do the job. You can also use Apple's built in "Disk Util" program to make a backup. Follow step XI but in reverse, use the internal HD as the source and the external HD as the destination.

Once you have a backup of your install you can boot from it and test software, make tweaks or install Apple updates. If the changes you made worked, you can now do it on your internal HD. If you mess up your external by making these changes you can just do a fresh backup and start again.

Version History

4/20/09 v1 release to the public

5/1//09 v1.1 Changed step XI, added beta audio drivers and modified step IX

7/18/09 Updated link to X3100 Ketx

Next Steps

Change step one and describe how to install from source DVD.

Hi great job mig21 !

just a few remarks :

Step I : you only have to make an iso image if you do not have a dvd rom on the target pc. Otherwise, the system can be installed directly from the dvd.

Step V : dsdt.aml with the latest Chameleon can be placed in the Extra folder. Ok it is not very usefull but your root folder is clean.

Step V : it is possible to add another step to this one with compiling all kext of the Extra/Extensions folder into a Extensions.mkext. Not very usefull either but it should speed up the booting process a bit.

Step VI : Do not know why but I can not install the Chameleon 2.0 rc1 on an usb drive. In fact I have installed it on the main drive and as it shows up my vista and osx installation and all osx installed on usb drive connected to the hybrid, it is just good like that.

Step IX : in the Sonotone package another thing is usefull, it is the keyboard pc mapping. I think it is worth mentionning it.

Step XI : I think it is better to only copy the installation of Os X to the main drive using Disk Utility that opening the hybrid box. For myself, I only made a copy not swapping disk.

and for the ethernet card, i verify again a without the special package i posted on the other thread "Bonjour" is not working (only usefull if you have several mac).

and for the soundcard I think the latest VoodooHDA 0.2.2 is worth mentionning. Even if it has some quircks sound is audible.

Good tutorial !

HOW TO install retail OSX 10.5.6 on Dell Studio Hybrid

-Acknowledgments-

I take no credit for this writing. This tutorial is a compilation of multiple guides available in the forums and the product of a LOT of trial and error on my part. Thanks to all the folks in these forums that write the software that makes this possible. Thanks to Willsl for the video drivers and the patience to answer all my questions.

-Assumptions-

This tutorial assumes that you already have a Mac or hackintosh computer up and running. You are probably asking yourself, if I already have a hackintosh running, why would I do this? Simple answer. The closer you can get to a "vanilla" install; the least likely an Apple software update will break your computer. This tutorial will guide you on how to use that computer and an external USB hard drive to install a Retail copy of OSX 10.5.6 onto the external hard drive. Once you have installed the retail copy on the external USB HD, you can physically swap it with the internal one and voila! You now have a retail install of OSX that can be safely updated using Apple's software update software.

If you don't have a hackintosh handy, you can download and install "iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5" on your Hybrid to get it going. Follow the guide posted here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1118971

-What works after install

2 Cores

Wireless

LAN

USB ports

Video port, but only in VGA mode. You need to connect a DVI-to-VGA adaptor to the DVI of the hybrid and connect your monitor via VGA.

Keyboard and mouse

Multimedia card slot

Video with Quartz Extreme (QE) and CI

What doesn't work:

Audio (can't find a ketx that works without issue)

DVI/HDMI ports ( a mystery why it doesn't work)

-Files Needed-

-Retail Copy of Mac OSX 10.5.6 (Buy a copy)

-Chameleon v2 r431 or latest release

-DSDT Patcher

-Ketx Helper b7

-X3100 Patched Video Ketx's

Send me a private message through this forum and I'll send you the files

-Dell Post Installer Package

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97966

-generic.iso

You'll need "SMBIOSEnabler.ketx" and "dsmos.ketx" out of this iso. Search for "boot 123 generic.iso" in the forums to find this file.

-Pre Install Steps-

1. Mount the "generic.iso" file by double clicking on it

2. Open the mount and double click on "INITRG.IMG" to mount it.

3. Open that mount and look in the "Extra/Extensions" folder for the SMBIOSEnabler.ketx" and "dsmos.ketx"

4. Drag those two ketx's to your desktop

Alternative, you can use Pacificst to extract those kext's from the iso.

Start your MAC/Hackintosh computer and connect the external USB HD to it.

Step I – Convert your install DVD to an .iso image

1. Insert the retail copy of OSX 10.5.6 into your DVD drive

2. Open Disk Utility, located in the "Applications>Utilities folder".

3. Select the DVD on the left hand pane.

4. Click on the 'New Image' icon. Give your soon to be created image a name but make sure you use a ".cdr" extension. For example, "OSX Install Disk.cdr".

5. Select 'DVD/CD Master' as the image format and "none" for Encryption. Click "Save".

6. Disk Utility will convert the file to an image. After it finishes, replace the 'cdr' extension to 'iso'.

Note: You can use these steps to convert MAC .DMG or .IMG files to .ISO images.

Step II - Prepare the external USB HD for install

2. Click on your target drive (or target drive/partition) in the left window

3. Then look right and click on the Partition Tab

4. Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition

5. Then fill in the Name with: OSx86

6. Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

7. Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

8. Click Apply, once it's done close "Disk Utility".

Step III - Installing OS X from Retail

1. Go to the retail .iso image we created in step one and mount it (double clicking on it).

2. Open a terminal window

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages
open OSInstall.mpkg

4. Install OSX onto your OSx86 labeled drive

Step IV - Remove unwanted video kext's

1. Open your USB mounted hard drive.

2. Go to the "/System/Library/Extensions" folder and delete all of the following kext's:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100.kext

AppleIntelGMA3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMA3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Step V - Patch the OS

1. Run DSDT Patcher and apply it to your external hard drive. For the options, select "Darwin/Mac OS X" as your OS, click on the checkbox next to "Apply DSDT Patch to", and select your USB hard drive from the drop down list. Lastly, click on "Run DSDT Patcher" to run it. Once the patcher finishes doing its magic, you should have a file called "dsdt.aml" in the root directory of the USB HD.

2. Move SMBIOSEnabler.ketx and dsmos.ketx to the "/Extras/Extensions" folder.

Step VI - Install Chameleon bootloader

1. Install Chameleon on the USB hard drive. When you get to the "installation type" screen, click on "Change Install Location" and make sure you choose your USB hard drive during the install!

Step VII - Cross your fingers and reboot

1. Reboot your computer and when you see the "Dell" logo, press the <F12> key on your keyboard. This will take you to the boot options menu. Select your USB HD from the list and press enter. Then you will see the graphical menu for Chameleon and it will show you your USB HD labeled OSx86, select it from the option and press enter. Go through the new MAC setup.

Step VIII – Install Video Drivers with Ketx Helper

1. Open the Video Driver zip file by double clicking it

2. Open the Ketx Helper Application and drag all of the video driver files to it. Type in your password and click "EASY INSTALL". Reboot your computer into the USB HD. Once you reboot, adjust your screen resolution by going to "System Preferences>Displays".

Step IX - Install the SD card reader driver

1. Unzip the "Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.4.1.zip" file by double click on it.

2. Open the unzipped folder and execute the package

3. When you get to the screen that allows you to select the drivers you want to install, select "Others> SD Card Reader" and nothing else.

4. Continue through the install

Step X - Update your System

1.Run Apple software Update and update your system.

Step XI - Swap the external USB hard drive for the internal one

Well, you made it through! Now all you have to do is swap the external HD for the internal one. Dell did an awesome job on the design of this box; you only need to unscrew 3 screws to pull the hard drive out. One is in the middle of the case left hand side of the case. Another one is in the top back of the case. Remove the top of the case by sliding it out. The last screw is in the back of the cage that holds the CD/DVD ROM and HD.

Step XII - Make a backup of your HD (Optional)

I would strongly recommend that you make a backup of your install. Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper should do the job.

Will this technique work on a non-dell unit with gma x3100 video chip?

Hi great job mig21 !

just a few remarks :

Step I : you only have to make an iso image if you do not have a dvd rom on the target pc. Otherwise, the system can be installed directly from the dvd.

Step V : dsdt.aml with the latest Chameleon can be placed in the Extra folder. Ok it is not very usefull but your root folder is clean.

Step V : it is possible to add another step to this one with compiling all kext of the Extra/Extensions folder into a Extensions.mkext. Not very usefull either but it should speed up the booting process a bit.

Step VI : Do not know why but I can not install the Chameleon 2.0 rc1 on an usb drive. In fact I have installed it on the main drive and as it shows up my vista and osx installation and all osx installed on usb drive connected to the hybrid, it is just good like that.

Step IX : in the Sonotone package another thing is usefull, it is the keyboard pc mapping. I think it is worth mentionning it.

Step XI : I think it is better to only copy the installation of Os X to the main drive using Disk Utility that opening the hybrid box. For myself, I only made a copy not swapping disk.

and for the ethernet card, i verify again a without the special package i posted on the other thread "Bonjour" is not working (only usefull if you have several mac).

and for the soundcard I think the latest VoodooHDA 0.2.2 is worth mentionning. Even if it has some quircks sound is audible.

Good tutorial !

Willsl,

Thx for the pointers. I'm trying to keep the guide simple so the tips you suggest that are just for "looks" I'll add them to the guide as optional.

What would the keyboard mapping give me? All of my keys on my regular keyboard work fine.

I tried copying the USB HD image straight into the internal hard drive but then I couldn't boot off of the internal hard drive. I then used "fdisk" to make the partition on the internal HD active, but I still couldn't boot off it. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'll try a few more tricks this weekend to see if I can get it going.

I will update the tutorial this weekend and mention the video driver as well.

We only have to work out the DVI output and we got it made!

Can you add the kexts you used to complete the installation? Also can you just install directly on the internal drive of the hybrid instead of playing around with images? Thanks.

I attached "SMBIOSEnabler.ketx" and "dsmos.ketx" to teh guide. The other one you need is the video one but It's to big to attach, and they don't let you post links to external sites on the tutorial section. Send me a private message and I'll tell you where to get them.

Unfortunately you cannot install a retail copy of OSX stright into the HD. If that was the case, Apple would go out of business and there would not be a need for this forum, think about it. You can, however, boot the PC via the "boot 321" process (search forums), and then install the retail disc into your HD. Once installed, you would have to find a way to patch the install with DSDT, install the ketx's, and install chamemelon, otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot off the HD. If you fiind a way on how to do this, let me know.

Will this technique work on a non-dell unit with gma x3100 video chip?

I do not know. This method is specific to the hybrid. What I do know is that getting the X3100 to work is a real pain in the neck. Search the forums and you'll see that there are 100 different drivers/ketx available and another 100 ways to make it work. What works for some people, doesn't work for others. Sorry. Here's a few of the posts I read and tried with no success:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=86600&st=0

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70282

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...121912&st=0

Good luck to you.

Still getting stuck at "using 15728 buffers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". Is it related to the DSDT patch? I made my aml on a real iMac (Core Duo) which is 32-bit and my target machine is 64-bit... maybe this has some bearing?

I'm not sure if that error is because of the aml file. I experienced that error on multiple occasions but could never pin point what was causing it. However, google "DSDT Patcher " and use that software to patch your install. You don't have to crate your own aml file, the patcher will do it for you.

Still getting stuck at "using 15728 buffers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers". Is it related to the DSDT patch? I made my aml on a real iMac (Core Duo) which is 32-bit and my target machine is 64-bit... maybe this has some bearing?

I had the same problem.

When I started it, the monitor only show me the gray background with an Apple. That's it. When i push F8, -v, saw some error message:

Error: could not read XML property list for multikext archive entry 26.

at the end, I was told:

"MAC Framework successfully initiated.

using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers."

I had the same problem.

When I started it, the monitor only show me the gray background with an Apple. That's it. When i push F8, -v, saw some error message:

Error: could not read XML property list for multikext archive entry 26.

at the end, I was told:

"MAC Framework successfully initiated.

using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers."

any update, please?

15728 buffers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers error is due to the kext " AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment " : remove it and when restart, press F8 and -x (safe mode) : you have a duo core dell studio working fine. Then repair permissions with disk utility !

For audio only Apple Azalia audio works and nothing for ethernet (please solve this problem).

I used all options for DSDT Patcher and apply Chameleon v2 r431. I have in the root dsdt.aml and mach kernel files and i removed "SMBIOSEnabler.ketx" and "dsmos.ketx" whithout problems.

My Dell S.H boot in 20 seconds and just HDMI and DVI ports are not working. Wirelles works fine with a Dell 1505 wifi card, works as an airport extreme card on MacOSX.

Good job mig 21 ! :D

Hi mig21,

Keyboard mapping was a bit weird with me but it is peharps specific to the french layout which is slightly different between a Mac and a PC. That is why I had to install another layout.

Concerning the copy on the internal drive, did you install Chameleon on your internal drive after the copy ? I think it is mandatory.

Ethernet card : I am pretty sure that the kext I recommend in the other thread is mandatory to have a network fully working (including Bonjour). It works for me !

For all those who have the "15728 buffers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers error", just follow the tutorial. The dsdt.aml must be generated on the target pc and then placed in the correct directory. It is right that in order to run OsX the first time even prior to be able to do the tutorial you had to add -cpus=1 in the booting options of most distributions.

That's all folks !

Hi mig21,

Keyboard mapping was a bit weird with me but it is peharps specific to the french layout which is slightly different between a Mac and a PC. That is why I had to install another layout.

Concerning the copy on the internal drive, did you install Chameleon on your internal drive after the copy ? I think it is mandatory.

Ethernet card : I am pretty sure that the kext I recommend in the other thread is mandatory to have a network fully working (including Bonjour). It works for me !

For all those who have the "15728 buffers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers error", just follow the tutorial. The dsdt.aml must be generated on the target pc and then placed in the correct directory. It is right that in order to run OsX the first time even prior to be able to do the tutorial you had to add -cpus=1 in the booting options of most distributions.

That's all folks !

Hi mig21,

i was thinking of something else. When I boot the new Chameleon, I have access to all os installation (either on internal or external hard drive). If you copy the installation from the external drive to the internal drive did you see both in Chameleon ? What is the problem exactly ?

one last thing : do you make a copy with erase or not. I think that if you make a copy with no erase there might be permissions problems so you have to repair them before doing anything else.

Hope this help.

Hi mig21,

i was thinking of something else. When I boot the new Chameleon, I have access to all os installation (either on internal or external hard drive). If you copy the installation from the external drive to the internal drive did you see both in Chameleon ? What is the problem exactly ?

one last thing : do you make a copy with erase or not. I think that if you make a copy with no erase there might be permissions problems so you have to repair them before doing anything else.

Hope this help.

You are right, you need to reinstall Chameleon on your internal HD after you make the copy from external to internal HD. I figured this out out of pure desperation/luck. I do the copy with the "erase destination" selected. I just updated step XI to reflect this.

I also noticed that after installing some applications to my internal HD, it becomes unbootable. I then proceed to install Chamemelon to it, and I'm able to boot from it again.

Everything works nicely. I used a slightly different method as the above didn't work for me.

1) Install iDeneb 3 10.5.5

2) Remove AppleIntel* KEXTs before reboot

3) Install 10.5.6 Combo Update and remove KEXTs again

4) Follow all the above driver install instructions.

4a) Everything works, including audio (using VoodooHDA) except HDMI.

Should work with 10.5.7 Combo Update too, but I haven't tried it. My wife wanted a working machine. Had to fiddle with it a bit to make it work on my HDTV at 1080p, but it's working now.

Here's my xBench (with screen res set to 1920x1080x32@60):

Results	146.38	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.5.6 (9G55)
	Physical RAM		3072 MB
	Model		SomeModel
	Drive Type		WDC WD2500BEVS-75UST0
CPU Test	134.68	
	GCD Loop	254.03	13.39 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	121.82	2.89 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	98.33	3.24 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	135.43	23.58 Mops/sec
Thread Test	165.88	
	Computation	179.62	3.64 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	154.10	6.63 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	142.00	
	System	156.36	
		Allocate	252.00	925.43 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	130.19	6330.25 MB/sec
		Copy	132.67	2740.31 MB/sec
	Stream	130.06	
		Copy	119.81	2474.70 MB/sec
		Scale	122.21	2524.84 MB/sec
		Add	141.10	3005.64 MB/sec
		Triad	140.07	2996.42 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	190.47	
	Line	152.21	10.13 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	199.37	59.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	163.61	13.34 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	157.46	3.97 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	454.05	28.40 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	22.95	
	Spinning Squares	22.95	29.12 frames/sec
User Interface Test	268.37	
	Elements	268.37	1.23 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	60.43	
	Sequential	82.86	
		Uncached Write	83.86	51.49 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	82.29	46.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	71.60	20.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	97.72	49.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	47.55	
		Uncached Write	19.27	2.04 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	104.97	33.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	72.62	0.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	111.91	20.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

From the xBench website for comparison:

iMac (Core 2) 135.77

Mac Pro 160.18

Xserve Intel 140.55

So it scores better than the average iMac Core 2 Duo, which for me is a savings of about $1000.

Everything works nicely. I used a slightly different method as the above didn't work for me.

1) Install iDeneb 3 10.5.5

2) Remove AppleIntel* KEXTs before reboot

3) Install 10.5.6 Combo Update and remove KEXTs again

4) Follow all the above driver install instructions.

4a) Everything works, including audio (using VoodooHDA) except HDMI.

Should work with 10.5.7 Combo Update too, but I haven't tried it. My wife wanted a working machine. Had to fiddle with it a bit to make it work on my HDTV at 1080p, but it's working now.

Here's my xBench (with screen res set to 1920x1080x32@60):

Results	146.38	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.5.6 (9G55)
	Physical RAM		3072 MB
	Model		SomeModel
	Drive Type		WDC WD2500BEVS-75UST0
CPU Test	134.68	
	GCD Loop	254.03	13.39 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	121.82	2.89 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	98.33	3.24 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	135.43	23.58 Mops/sec
Thread Test	165.88	
	Computation	179.62	3.64 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	154.10	6.63 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	142.00	
	System	156.36	
		Allocate	252.00	925.43 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	130.19	6330.25 MB/sec
		Copy	132.67	2740.31 MB/sec
	Stream	130.06	
		Copy	119.81	2474.70 MB/sec
		Scale	122.21	2524.84 MB/sec
		Add	141.10	3005.64 MB/sec
		Triad	140.07	2996.42 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	190.47	
	Line	152.21	10.13 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	199.37	59.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	163.61	13.34 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	157.46	3.97 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	454.05	28.40 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	22.95	
	Spinning Squares	22.95	29.12 frames/sec
User Interface Test	268.37	
	Elements	268.37	1.23 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	60.43	
	Sequential	82.86	
		Uncached Write	83.86	51.49 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	82.29	46.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	71.60	20.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	97.72	49.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	47.55	
		Uncached Write	19.27	2.04 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	104.97	33.60 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	72.62	0.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	111.91	20.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

From the xBench website for comparison:

iMac (Core 2) 135.77

Mac Pro 160.18

Xserve Intel 140.55

So it scores better than the average iMac Core 2 Duo, which for me is a savings of about $1000.

Did you get the DVI to work? The only way I can get video is by connecting a DVI-to-VGA adapter and connecting to the monitor via a VGA cable.

When I installed iDeneb, then combo update 10.5.6, then removed video ketx, I couldn't boot the computer after that.

Do you have 2 cores working? When I installed iDeneb I only gor one to be recognized.

By the way, I just wrote a guide on how to install iDeneb v3 10.5.5, it's here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...164741&st=0

No DVI, both cores.

Follow this guide and the posts after it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...26916&st=20

Then follow the instructions for the drivers on this thread. Use the VoodooHDA from the linked thread to get audio working. I suggest sticking all of the KEXTs into the /Extra/Extensions folder so Chameleon uses them.

After installing everything I was able to remove all the boot options except -f, that one is required to boot after applying the 10.5.6 combo update, which may be your problem. Use OSX86Tools to edit your boot options and you should be fine. If you still have problems I'll post the complete guide to what I did along with pictures. The Hybrid Studio is a decent Mac for a great price.

Hi, Mig21

Thanks for your guide!

Still have a few questions:

1. For the step I, II, III, instead of install the mac os X on the external HD, could we just use the software like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy of the internal HD in a Mac to the connected external HD? This would save lots of trouble for getting the installation disk.

2. In the step VI, could we just open the machine and change the HD? As we know, the studio hybrid is so easy to be opened.

3. How could we install the mac os x without ruin the origianl windows vista on the disk? I mean, it should be nice if we could keep two operation system on the one disk.

Hi, Mig21

Thanks for your guide!

1. For the step I, II, III, instead of install the mac os X on the external HD, could we just use the software like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy of the internal HD in a Mac to the connected external HD? This would save lots of trouble for getting the installation disk.

2. In the step VI, could we just open the machine and change the HD? As we know, the studio hybrid is so easy to be opened.

3. How could we install the mac os x without ruin the origianl windows vista on the disk? I mean, it should be nice if we could keep two operation system on the one disk.

Hi, Mig21

Thanks for your guide!

1) Yes, you could also use Disk Utility built into OS X by clicking on the disk, then the Restore tab. Fill in Source and Destination. Do not check erase destination, you should do that yourself as i've had problems with it.

2) You could, but it's easier to do what I wrote above. Just remember to run Chameleon on your target hard drive so it will boot.

3) Yes easily! Boot into Vista and use the Disk Management feature (Right click on My Computer, pick Manage, then search for Disk Management) to resize the big partition on your hard drive (You should leave RECOVERY alone), make enough room for OS X (Say 10-15 Gigs if you are just playing) and then boot into OS X and use the Disk Utility to copy from your external drive to your main drive. (That way you don't even need to open your case.)

i just thought i would give my experiences:

i tried with no luck to get the 10.5.1 retail installer to boot using a boot-132 usb drive that i had previously prepared with stickpin's method. i created a new initrd.dmg using slimbuild and the generic kexts given here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167

it always got stuck with the dreaded "using X buffer headers" problem, regardless of the presense of the power management kext or the ACPI kext. maybe this is because of the DSDT?

so i decided to try installing the retail 10.5.1 to an 8GB USB thumb drive, and updating it to 10.5.6, and finally installing chameleon 2.0 on the USB drive. i had to boot linux on the hybrid and dump the DSDT so that i could patch it and load it with chameleon. this worked, but there was not enough free space on the thumb drive to apply the combo update. i had to delete a few things from /Applications and also one of the high-quality voices for speech. i thought that the combo updater would reinstall the missing apps but interestingly it did not - the updater must only have whatever files differ inside of the application bundles, not the whole packages.

i suspect i might have been able to make the USB boot-132 work if 1) the problem was the DSDT and 2) i could figure out a way to make the bootloader load dsdt.aml from a USB stick, but i never figured that out.

anyway i was then able to boot the studio hybrid with the install on the USB stick, and repeat the procedure against the internal disk. finally i put in the kexts for the display. i have QE/CI enabled, but for some reason osx does not see the native resolution of my panel (1440x900). using switchresX i was able to enable this resolution, but for some reason it still looks all fuzzy. if i boot with "GraphicsMode"="1440x900x32" (or if i put this resolution in my boot.plist) chameleon just dies and returns to the bios.

i'd rather not use switchresX - does anyone know any tricks for getting this resolution to work? also does anyone have any idea if the DSDT patch in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340 works with the x3100? i'm a tad confused about the names, since that thread talks about the GMA950.

i still have to grab VoodooHDA and see if i can make the sound work.

anyway thanks to mig21.

anyway i was then able to boot the studio hybrid with the install on the USB stick, and repeat the procedure against the internal disk. finally i put in the kexts for the display. i have QE/CI enabled, but for some reason osx does not see the native resolution of my panel (1440x900). using switchresX i was able to enable this resolution, but for some reason it still looks all fuzzy. if i boot with "GraphicsMode"="1440x900x32" (or if i put this resolution in my boot.plist) chameleon just dies and returns to the bios.

quite by accident i discovered that if i boot without the monitor attached, and then subsequently hook it up when the mac is at the desktop, i'm getting crisp, clear 1440x900 resolution. hoping that perhaps DVI would work this way i tried it, but still no luck.

probably my timings are messed up. i'm not sure why the driver can't read 1440x900 as the native resolution of the monitor from its EDID. i'm getting a different monitor next week so it will be interesting to see what it does.

and of course voodoohda works fine.

i did try the DSDT edit from that other thread. it didnt work, but now i realize i forgot to take natit.kext out of my /Extra/Extensions.mkext, so i should try it again. it would seem that the instructions in that thread should work for the X3100, but i'm not 100% sure of that still even having read the whole damn thread...

the machine will not come back from sleep; i'm hoping that its because of the video driver. that and the screwy fuzzy thing is why i'm interested in any alternate video solutions.

other than that, this is a great little machine.

Hi all !

some news : I have tested 1.5.7 !

It install new Intel GMAX3100 driver. Funny still no DVI but VGA appear as a second monitor natively. It must be just a matter of configuration to have a working hybrid with stock gfx driver ! Must work on it.

It erase also IONetworkFamily kext so for those who use like me the realtek driver you have to install it again.

one more news : I installed the VoodooHDA driver 0.2.2 updated. Seems to work just fine ! I have to test it further.

New things to work on !

Update :

- I've tested several things with the new X3100 driver and no luck : nothing is working.

- the new VoodooHDA is working just fine !

- I've install the VoodooPower kext from superhei and you gain 0.1Ghz. The CPU is correctly recognized ! (With stock install it is only 2.0, with VoodooPower 2.1 GHz but it can depend on you own configuration).

Update :

- I've tested several things with the new X3100 driver and no luck : nothing is working.

- the new VoodooHDA is working just fine !

- I've install the VoodooPower kext from superhei and you gain 0.1Ghz. The CPU is correctly recognized ! (With stock install it is only 2.0, with VoodooPower 2.1 GHz but it can depend on you own configuration).

you really think you are getting 2.1GHz? i think this is just a "reporting" error. i mean, what is the FSB frequency of this processor? its probably not 100MHz.

• 1 month later...

Couls you send us a zip archive of your IONetworkingFamily.kext working and how to make it fully active ?

Thanks !

Best regards.

Tanguy00 ;)

Hi mig21,