My list of OS X application compatibility

cwestpha

14 posts in this topic

Updated: 9-02-05 with 11 new apps

My list of OS X application compatibility

DONT REPLY WITH YOUR OWN LIST OF APP COMPATIBILITY. See the bottom of the post to see how to help.

System tested on:

- OS X86 Dev DVD, Xplode VMware SSE2 method, with two .img in VMware and WinHex to DD over the .img

- Pentium 4 3 Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, HT, no SSE3

- Intel D865Pearl mainboard (only SATA doesnt work)

- ATI Radeon X800 256 MB (no OpenGL, CI, QE, etc)

- Revolution 7.1 (doesnt work, using onboard sound)

- TrendNet USB Bluetooth

- platform=x86pc boot option

- Maxxus 4.0 SSE3 -> SSE2 patch (Kernel + all others)

- Maxxus .01 anti-TPM

- PIIXATA and regular ATA speed trick for Intel used

- Removed TPMACPI kext

Format:

[1] -[2]- *[3]* [4]

[1]) Application name

[2]) U for Universal or R for Rosetta emulation

[3]) rough estimate of percent of time stable

[4]) comments

And so the list begins...

Safari -U- *70%* occasional crashes during exit, some during use. https, flash, some CSS, etc is not supported.

Deer Park -U- *90%* Almost rock solid, rarely crashes, doesn't have most of the same problems as Safari.

iTunes 4.9 -R- *75%* syncs with iPod fine, sometimes crashes at the start or during playing a song.

QuickTime 7 -R- *90%+* Hasn't crashed once on me, but I haven't tried some of its more advanced features yet.

Adium -U- *80%* Had it crash on me once, granted it was caused by Rosetta going screwy and taking a bunch of apps out with it.

aMule -R- *20%* Connects, starts to download, crashes 20 kbs into a transfer or so.

Battle For Wesnoth -R- *90%+* After backing it out of full screen color production and stability is perfect. No crashes yet.

BitTorrent -R- *?* Used it once, didn't try to download anything though and it didn't crash.

Camino -R- *30%* Stay away, go Universal, nuf said.

Cocktail -U- *90%+* Worked, didn't crash, I love it.

Colloquy -U- *90%+* I love this little IRC app. Used it lots, crashed once.

Hacker X-8.9 -U- *?* I think there is a bug in it. Cant get past training mission even though it admits I completed it.

iDVD -R- *?* Hardware not compatible, me sad.

iPhoto 5.04 -R- *80%* For some reason it doesn't want to sync with my Kodak digi cam, oh and iTunes has inexplicably taken it out.

Lux -U- *90%+* played lots, crashed once, computer kicks my ass every time.

OSXvnc -R- *Russian Roulette* starts up, crashes about half the time when someone connects. Makes your friends laugh at the "stability" of OS X.

Pax Galaxia -R- *90%+* its like crack to me. I need the full version. -.-

All Ambrosia SW games -R- *?* requires dynamic changing of resolution, couldn't test. looked funky and crashed when I tried. :(

Senuti -R- *90%+* crashed once, used lots. Its iTunes backwards... literally.

Stuffit Expander 9 -R- *works* It works, then crashes after its done. Sure it crashes but since it finishes its job THEN crashes I consider it to be a working app.

SuperTux -R- *90%+* take it off of full screen and it works fine.

TextEdit -U- *made it through this document so it has to be good* :)

xBench -U- *90%+* doesn't like GUI tests in -x mode and doesn't like OpenGL tests without OpenGL support. ^.~

Xjournal -R- *90%+* Allows free and easy bitching to one's LJ without problem. Also successfully alerts you when your girlfriend is reporting on her PMS on her LJ.

Inspiration 7.6 -R- *40%* crashes when you try to organize your thoughts, just my luck. :) Will also "crash" when loading complex stuff, which is ironic because the application doesn't actually crash then, the OS just reports it does.

iStumbler -U- *90%+* couldn't test WiFi, did test Bluetooth and Bonjour. Found out TiVo offers Bonjour services. I don't know if bluetooth works or no. Doesn't display my Pocket PC in the list, but does list it under Pair and Browse. Hasn't crashed during this test.

MS Messenger 5 -R- *80%* previous version detection goes on forever so skip, clicking yes to dock causes crash after wizard is complete. pretty much works after that.

BitTorrent OSX -R- *50%* Downloads a hundred megs then crashes. resumes just fine though.

WineHelper -Intel only- *60%* not vary stable when running windows apps, even on the compatibility list.

Photoshop CS2 -R- *?* during install CS crashes when installing and configuring Adobe utilities.

Mplayer OSX -R- *70%* doesn't play DVDs, does MP3s and other basic file formats. doesn't appear to like most video though.

VLC -U- *80%* Crashes when playing DVDs but appears to accept almost everything else.

MacTelenet -R- *90%+* Used it quite a bit, not sure if it supports USB to Serial adaptors, but everything that I can tell works as advertised.

MacTheRipper- R- *0%* Relocation to the west end of London successful. installs, loads, and crashes after identifying the disk.

RealPlayer -R- *80%* Doesn't crash often and does a good job of playing its own file formats including streaming. Video or visualizations ocasionaly cause crashes.

*Warning: The writer of this article is now in the point beyond tired where everything is funny*

Still to test:

DosBox86 (must beat simants first)

GarageBand (is musical talent a pre-requisit for this one?)

iChat (need friends that also have iChat)

iMovie HD (loaded it before, need material from BitTorent to make the greatest p0rno DVD mix ever)

KeyNote (I might as well turn this into a presentation and attach it)

mail (Gmail has already filed a restraining order against my copy of it)

NeoOfficeJ (will use it for 2.0 of this nice compatibility thingy)

NoteBook (serials.to has let me down)

Pages (my memoirs shall be written using this and I will sell exactly one copy)

Poker Academy (right now I only want a pillow face)

Remote Desktop Connection (need to wait till one of my college friends go to class so I can highjack his server)

Snes9x (I get to beat supermario world... again)

TextWrangler (oh I have no idea what I am gonna use this thing for)

Toast 6 Titanium (good excuse to start my OS X DVD piracy ring :P)

Nuevos

Tomato Torrent (a native BitTorrent program, yay!)

Important:

help me by doing the following...

1) suggest more apps to test.

2) get screen resizing, CI, QE, and OpenGL working for my card so I can test Ambrosia games (#1 reason to have a mac)

3) don't add your own stuff. This is my list for my hardware. I don't want to have to keep other people organized.

4) Suggest new and unusual ways to make my CURRENT computer more stable.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/iphoto504update.html

Someone said it was supposedly a universal binary but I've not tested it yet. There is a thread already about some of this I think, but a bit busy now so I've not done a search personally, but I read about it here yesterday...in it people were saying the only non-universal app was iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/iphoto504update.html

Someone said it was supposedly a universal binary but I've not tested it yet.  There is a thread already about some of this I think, but a bit busy now so I've not done a search personally, but I read about it here yesterday...in it people were saying the only non-universal app was iTunes.

I installed it and it is now run by Rosetta and crashes at startup. B)

Sorry about that. :( I guess the people posting weren't bothering to actually do a get info after installation or something. Definitely not worth the download I guess, it just fixed some browsing issues on cameras I think.

Sorry about that. :(  I guess the people posting weren't bothering to actually do a get info after installation or something.  Definitely not worth the download I guess, it just fixed some browsing issues on cameras I think.

No problem, I reinstalled the package from the devit cd and now I'm back again with the universal app. By the way, Rosetta is quite fast for an emulator but native (or universal) apps run much better on my system. I'm exited to get more universal apps to make the system fly!

Edit: It doesn't make sense for apple to provide universal apps at their page until the first x86-Mac is shipped - or does it?

I am curently working on testing BitTorent OSX by downloading the Ubuntu i386 DVD and some homebrew xbox titles. I am going to be testing toast DVD burning with the DVD, but am not sure what I am going to do with CD burning. That reminds me I need to update everything using information about my CD and DVD burners before I post that.

As we're all adding to this list, I might as well let you know that this is my list that I've got through so far that ALL work with no crashes:

Arr please deleate this post you made ASAP. I explicently said over and over NOT to post your own compatability list.

The fundemental flaw of almost all compatability lists is that if it runs on one person's install it will work on another. This is simply not the case yet. This is why I dont want people posting me toos here and their own lists to just clutter everything up. I try to show you as much of the pertenent information as to how I got something working and why it might not work for you as reasonably possible.

With my guide it all comes from one system, one set of patches, one method of install, one hardware layout. That way app compatibility can be tested "apples to apples".

P.S.

about 12 more apps coming tonight or tommorow to the list.

I am not trying to be the all mighty software hero. I am just trying to protect the point of me posting this list. Its just good edicit to not do something if you are told over and over again not to do something.

I am trying to keep a nice clean topic and keep it on topic. I think I am well within my rights to do so. However I do apologize if I appeared a bit preacy, been doing lots of OS X and Unix stuff recently and havent been getting lots of sleep. Natualy I sleep durring the days but with the start of college again I had to do a 180 to my schedual and if I cant sleep I just work instead of wasting time laying on my back in bed.

iDVD doesnt work with any non-apple drive, bit its easy to fix. Go to patchburn.de. When you are in the setup, do an expert install and click "patch idvd 4" (works for all idvd versions) and also set everything to true. Good luck.

Hi.. did you try patchburn with your Intelmac???

I tried it with mine. but it didn't work!!! (Native install, SSE3 machine)

and I have Pioneer DVR-A107(recognised Apple Shipped one..)

maybe iDVD needs AGP card or something......

post-8990-1125730999_thumb.jpg

Ok I just did the new age DVD patch and let me tell you its SOOO much nicer then going the darwin route. iPhoto works with my digital camera now. I also applied the new .5 patch from Maxxus. I will be retesting quite a few applications coming up.

I just need to try and get a few other things working and over this bad cold I have (literaly I just wind up staring off into space half of the day, it feels like my brain is overheating).