Ideneb v1.4 on Dell inspiron 640m help

tomhanks2k6

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 640m laptop with following specifications.

Intel Core2Duo processor

Intel 945 graphics card.

Sigmatel 9200 sound chipset.

Broadcom 43xx network adapter.

Intel 3495abg wireless adapter

Can anyone provide me a complete installation guide for IDeneb V 1.4.

Please suggest me what patches should I select when installing.

Thanx!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same machine... I will be trying it. I have ToH 10.5.6 right now...

everything will work(well kind of) except your wireless. you need you change it with broadcom wireless (like dell 1390)

video choose GMA950

audio download HDAPatcher and find dump for STAC 9200

not true... it works but you need a lot of reading and little tweaking which you may avoid by reading some of the stuff below.

did iDeneb 1.4 install.

first, got the black screen 950GMA problem (notorious). reboot, chose -s -x... removed AppleIntelItegratedFramebuffer.kext... got it to boot without turning off the screen. did a search in this forum, found a thread for that... there is a GMA950 fixer for Dell... not fully working though, don't use it! you just need to install the Kalyway AppleIntelItegratedFramebuffer.kext from that topic. no more blank screen. now time for dell installer (also from this forum) chose only kernel core 2 duo fix, card reader fix, power management fixes, sound fix, broadcom lan fix, media buttons fix. touchpad fix not working. reboot... ah what a surprise. don't do reboot or your keyboard is not going to work. fix the permissions of the kext folder /System/Library/Extensions before rebooting. the owner should be root, permissions 755 (not completely sure about the number, do a search for that in the forum for confirmation). anyway, it took me some time to figure out... did a -s -x boot, little play with the console...

boom = now you have full video acceleration and sound. broadcom lan should work... but didn't test it. ordered dell 1390 wireless... read somewhere that it works without any issues (cheap as **** = $15). card reader works, usb everything works, firewire works, sceen sleep works, touchpad works (no click by tapping the pad though). cd/dvd works. speedstep works. media buttons work. what else can you possibly want  :offtopic:

so if you have any questions feel free to ask. sorry for the quick guide... but it's late as hell and I  have to go to work tomorrow.  

• 2 months later...
not true... it works but you need a lot of reading and little tweaking which you may avoid by reading some of the stuff below.

did iDeneb 1.4 install.

first, got the black screen 950GMA problem (notorious). reboot, chose -s -x... removed AppleIntelItegratedFramebuffer.kext... got it to boot without turning off the screen. did a search in this forum, found a thread for that... there is a GMA950 fixer for Dell... not fully working though, don't use it! you just need to install the Kalyway AppleIntelItegratedFramebuffer.kext from that topic. no more blank screen. now time for dell installer (also from this forum) chose only kernel core 2 duo fix, card reader fix, power management fixes, sound fix, broadcom lan fix, media buttons fix. touchpad fix not working. reboot... ah what a surprise. don't do reboot or your keyboard is not going to work. fix the permissions of the kext folder /System/Library/Extensions before rebooting. the owner should be root, permissions 755 (not completely sure about the number, do a search for that in the forum for confirmation). anyway, it took me some time to figure out... did a -s -x boot, little play with the console...

boom = now you have full video acceleration and sound. broadcom lan should work... but didn't test it. ordered dell 1390 wireless... read somewhere that it works without any issues (cheap as **** = $15). card reader works, usb everything works, firewire works, sceen sleep works, touchpad works (no click by tapping the pad though). cd/dvd works. speedstep works. media buttons work. what else can you possibly want :hysterical:

so if you have any questions feel free to ask. sorry for the quick guide... but it's late as hell and I have to go to work tomorrow.

With the help of your post. I've installed iDeneb 1.4 successfully in my dell 640m. The installation is almost perfect except the wifi doesn't work. I think this is not the problem for me. I can buy a usb wifi to solve this problem. But I can't boot into GUI anymore when I upgrade it t 10.5.7 with iDeneb 10.5.7 upgrade kit. Do you have any experience on upgrading? I can still boot with -s -x to command prompt. However the AppleIntelintegratedFrameBuffer.kext is not in System/Library/Externsions anymore and I can't find it in the system. So I got totally lost. I don't know what to continue.

PS:Forgot to mention, the problem is exactly the same as I install iDeneb 1.4. The screen turns black after a blue screen shown up shortly.

• 2 months later...

glad to hear I helped and sorry to hear 10.5.7 didn't work for you. I also hosed my mac os install trying to upgrade and I gave up.

I guess you tried... but anyways did you try the hot corner fix/copying back the original 950gma kexts(there are like 5 of them)?

actually, I am trying to get a fully working snow leopard installation now. it looks promising... though I did like 5 installs already and probably will need 2-3 more to sort everything out.

so if anyone wants to join my efforts... drop a message here because I want to put all the info in one place. please excuse me if there already is a thread like this. currently reading http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1238728 but it's a lot of info and takes time to try everything... :(

p.s. same applies to inspiron 6400 owners