15 posts in this topic

Cheers to ya all

have installed osx86 v.10.4.6 on my clevo laptop

*specs: proc: pentium 4 3,2 ghz prescott core

ram: 2 gig ddr

chipset: intel 865pe

hd: 7200 rpm drive

gfx: ati radeon mobility 9700

system seems running stable and fast but i´m getting grafical artifacts through my mouse movements;

most appearing when moving mouse with pressed key or scrolling with da wheel (seems like the mouse pointer leaves his tracks -small cubes- on the screen wich can be deleted when moving mouse again with pressed key over it)

anyone experienced same behaviour of his system ???

as i said everything else is fine (fast grafix, onboard ac97 audio working, usb lan and firewire fine ; only the wireless lan and pcmcia slot are dead under osx - maybe u know a fix too ?? cause i really wanna use my sweet rme-hammerfall-dsp-system under osx)

thanx in advance for wasting yer time ;-)

This is what we call "mouse tearing" and happens to all ATI cards with native drivers. The region behind the mouse pointer won't be properly updated within some applications, like web browsers.

There's currently no solution to this, try Mouseposé or Mouse Locator (try the search here and google) as a workaround. Both work the same way: they repaint after each mouse movement the region behind the mouse. This results in a small loss of GUI speed and (using Mouse Locator) in a small "flicker" while using the mouse, but it works fine.

dripple

Hi!

A friend got the same problem.

P-IV NW 2.53GHz

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP rev2.1

1GB Samsung PC1066 RIMM

Gigabyte Radeon 9700 PRO

AC97 Onboard Sound

Mac OS X 10.4.5 Myz running on a 15gig HDD

OS X itself boots fast, runs great and so on. However, Mouse Artifacts displayed and DVD Playback is damn slow and stutter but Quick Time Movie Trailers run smooth in double size and manualy resizing, no lag.

System Profiler show VGA Compatible Device, QE and CI supported - does that mean that its active or just supported but not active?

The Device ID is present in the ATIRadeon9700.kext right out of the box.

Why DVD playback is so slow, maybe a Rosetta problem?

I will try Installing OS X 86 soon. I have a PowerMac G3 B&W running Mac OS X 10.4.6 and wait until the "new" Powermac with INTEL is out. But to this point, i will give OS X 86 a chance.

My System is the same as from my friend, except that I have a 3.06GHz HT CPU, Motherboard rev3.0, Radeon X800XT PE and a Soundblaster Live! Card running.

so i have to wait... hmm....

btw many thx for the "mouse-utils" tip .. really like the mouse locator, but would be much better if i could change the colour of the locator - its ah little too much ...

btw many thx for the "mouse-utils" tip .. really like the mouse locator, but would be much better if i could change the colour of the locator - its ah little too much ...

1. Create a totally transparent PNG image of 20x20 px using PhotoShop or any similar software.

2. Save it in your Pictures folder (/Users/your_user_name/Pictures) with the name "MouseLocator.png" (without the quotes).

3. Open System Prefs -> Mouse Locator and deactivate-activate it. Voilà!

@Sequenzer: It means that QE and CI is supported and active, but now there's another problem comming up. Look at the System Profiler. It should say that yor card is PCI and not AGP. So your card works, but the driver runs to the PCI-bridge wich results in a great loss of speed. AGP is a faster superset of PCI. In summary, this means that your hardware acclerated card is supported, but doesn't run at full speed. There a some topics around here but no real solution about this.

If you don't need OpenGL (e.g. for Games) you may try to use your card with the basic Vesa driver. My PC was first equipped with an Matrox driven by VESA and it was able to play back DVD (only at the half size, but full speed) and had no mouse tearing but with my 9800XT, DVD is not usable (10fps or so)

1. Create a totally transparent PNG image of 20x20 px using PhotoShop or any similar software.

2. Save it in your Pictures folder (/Users/your_user_name/Pictures) with the name "MouseLocator.png" (without the quotes).

nice solution - thanks a lot for the tip !!!

• 1 month later...

I'm using a Radeon 9550 that I flashed to a 9600pro some time ago. What REALLY helped with artifacts on my system (10.4.6) was to replace the ATIRadeon9700 drives AND the Quartz, QuartzCore, & OpenGL frameworks with ones from 10.4.4 which I found in a post on this site. This along with Callisto 008 and editing AtiRadeon9700GA.kext so that it uses the CalistoFB gave me QE/CI and really almost elimated the tearing.

The same exact setup with the 10.4.6 drivers and frameworks ran much slower on this system and on a different system (same card) didn't work at all.

Cheers,

Bart -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Bart

I'm using a Radion Mobility 9000 and I wonder if your actions would work on my system as well. I couldn't find the post you were talking about. Could you please send me the link for the 10.4.4 frameworks?

regards Praktiker.

Hi, Bart

I'm using a Radion Mobility 9000 and I wonder if your actions would work on my system as well. I couldn't find the post you were talking about. Could you please send me the link for the 10.4.4 frameworks?

regards Praktiker.

i'd like to try it too! i have a radeon 9600 pro. thanks! -d

• 1 month later...

Wow, that did the trick... amazing!

Thanks for that! :whistle:

Hmm, I don't know if mine is working, when I scroll webpages with my middle mouse button, I get artifacts.. Is that still supposed to happen?

I'm seeing that too, but all the other artifacts that I saw before have gone, but with the scroll wheel, depending on the background there may or may not be glitches. Eg. On this page, if your cursor is on the grey sides of scrolling shows the cursor blinking, but that's it. If its over the text / graphics then it picks up some of that.

I'm happy, just got my Radeon 9800 today and its a far cry better than my GeForce 6600 GT... I've now got Core Image and Quartz Extreme support!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Various resolutions and QE and CI work on my ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 on Inspiron 9200 although I do still get some artifacts. I believe that removing all the rest of the ATI files in the Extensions folder may resolve this issue. Any opinion on this?

• 3 weeks later...