iPC 10.5.6 Safe to Software Update?

cosgrove

6 posts in this topic

Think these updates are safe? I'm running a pretty clean install of iPC with voodoo 9.5.0 kernel on AMD Athlon64 X2, nforce 4, and radeon x1900xt.

I have the option of AMD Software Update but can't really find if that's going to be more reliable or what.

post-192501-1238627560_thumb.png

pretty sure the answer is no, not safe.

iPC installs kexts in /System/Library/Extensions. The updates can over right these and mess up your boot.

What I did is to re-install the bootloader with a version of Chameleon 1.0.12 that supports the extra folder and put my kexts there. Didn't update iPC, but did update my retail install and all was ok.

pretty sure the answer is no, not safe.

iPC installs kexts in /System/Library/Extensions. The updates can over right these and mess up your boot.

What I did is to re-install the bootloader with a version of Chameleon 1.0.12 that supports the extra folder and put my kexts there. Didn't update iPC, but did update my retail install and all was ok.

What other folder do kexts get installed into? What does the bootloader have to do with this?

I would assume a retail install with the vanilla kernel would always be safe to use software update on?

• 9 months later...

For future reference, everything but Mac OS X and Security Updates should be alright. You generally want to avoid security updates whenever possible, and Mac OS X updates require some preparation but can be done in most cases. For both things you should do at least a backup of your Extensions and kernel.