Success with my (GA-G31M-ES2L - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz) build

UN023

23 posts in this topic

Well after some confusion and trial & error I found an install process that worked for me and my components.

• HEC 6K28BB8F Black MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
  • GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
  • BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
  • LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW...CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
  • SAMSUNG HD642JJ 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
  • SeaSonic S12-430 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
  • APPLE Mac OS X v10.5.6 Leopard – Retail

Sure it took me the whole weekend + a :cough: sick day from work :) (Monday – what can I say) but I figured out a solution (a good combination of steps and kext's to install) for my (HackMini / HackPro) RIG. I basically followed the advice from this forum thread (and these users Zaap #12 and Nonix #29) for my mobo and various install guides online. From my experience I can say this mobo worked OOB. I did have to install the drivers for sound and video but that was it.

I will be working on getting the rest of my apps installed and using my new OS X RIG. So far I'm thrilled and glad my Macbook has a Desktop counter part to play with.

If anyone is interested here is my install process in a nut shell. Hope this helps

1. I start off with the boot 132 CD.

2. Insert the Leopard Retail 10.5.6 DVD when ready.

3. I partition the drive (Using Disk Utility) then proceed to install Leopard (No extra stuff except for fonts).

4. Install goes great and I force reboot going back (Using boot 132) to the Leopard welcome and sign up screens.

5. After the initial welcome install screens I noticed the NIC was working OOB (100mbits-Full Duplex) and it even sent in my reg-stuff with the basic info I added. No biggie I do this all the time with the Macs I do own.

6. At this point I do a software update. Installing everything except Airport and ilife09 stuff.

7. After all updates I wanted have been installed. I Install my audio driver and force reboot as suggested here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.5.6#Gigabyte

------------

At this point I gather the needed .kext files to get the next steps completed (VERY IMPORTANT part #1 for me at least!). I make a GA-G31M-ES2L (install-kit) folder and copy the some files from the leopard_install_kit.zip and other install guide files listed online to my GA-G31M-ES2L (install-kit) folder:

OpenHaltRestart.kext

AppleDeCrypt.kext

Disabler.kext

?? I think there was one more I'm not sure at the moment ??

------------

8. Booting back into OS X still using the Boot 132 CD I install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg. This was the key for me. I followed some online instructions to install the Extras folder from the Boot 132 CD to the Extras folder in the Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg image then installed Chameleon.

9. At this point I take the Boot 132 CD out and restart. And I'm like WOW restart works and I'm rebooting without the CD this time. BUT I still have to select my HD from the prompt just like before (still wont boot right into Leopard on its own) and I'm back at the leopard desktop.

Once I was back in I poke around my install to make sure all is still good. I check System Profiler, Activity Monitor, and adjust some system settings just to see things are working as they should. So-far-so-good! Time to move on to the next steps.

10. Time to finish up. Using the "PCWIZ Universal OSx86 Installer" I selected the following items: My hard drive, Set boot time out to 1sec, Apply EFI Ethernet String (Time Machine Fix), Apply EFI String for Video Card (8800GT 512mb in my case), and VERY Important part#2 for me at least (selected install custom kext from HD) and browsed my USB drive to my GA-G31M-ES2L (install-kit) folder and selected the ALL the .kext files inside.

Keeping my fingers crossed I watch as the install ran and finished up. I quit the PCWIZ Universal OSx86 Installer and do a restart. BAM! My RIG restarts and boots back into the Leopard desktop with out any hiccups and user input. W00t!

Now in shock :blink: I do another system check of things, and we are still good-to-go. I guess this would be a successful "vanilla build" at this point. Happy with the results I then use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of my HD before installing anything else.

----------

I don't know why but after several attempts to get a NEW & CLEAN install of Leopard this was how I did it. If I used the "PCWIZ Universal OSx86 Installer" alone it would break things for instance System Profiler main summary screen would be empty and my RIG would not boot back up.

----------

Issues: I'm trying to fix. They don't seem impact anything, or matter much.

1. No memory information is displayed in the system Profiler. Get the "Error trying to display."

2. Using OSX86 tools I can adjust the "auto reset CPU info" to show my CPU correctly, but my RAM gets thrown off from 4gig to 2gig if I select "auto reset RAM info."

----------

Today I have installed iWork08 (bought with my MacBook year ½ ago). Install was good and I did an application update. Seems to work fine. I will continue to install more software I use and hope nothing breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW... Im just waiting for my second hard drive to come in tomorrow and Ill be doing the same exact thing. Literally all the same hardware except Im running an e5200. I was just wondering if you could reply with any other possible hiccups you may have run in to or any other useful thoughts for this weekends adventures.

• 4 weeks later...
You can also try this guide, it worked for me... I have the same mobo, different Graphics card/CD-ROM... but worked like a charm.

One problem though, having issues with Bonjour: I can't see my ATV from itunes... still trying to fix it.

I used this guide as well, with the same situation as macfanboy, same mobo, different graphics card/CD-rom... worked flawlessly.

I also have the same Bonjour problems, where I cannot see ATV and itunes shares as well :D

does anyone know of a fix for this?

*** EDIT ***

SUCCESS!!!!

Download the R1000 kext from psystar

http://store.psystar.com/opensource/r1000

iTunes Share, AFP, Bonjour, Airport and other services are now working!

(i have yet to check if atv will connect as I'm in the middle of moving but I can see my other itunes shares)

Edited by chimpoko

• 2 weeks later...

Typing this from my freshly installed copy of Leopard Retail.

I imagine more people post when something goes wrong and stay silent when everything goes right.

Just wanted to say that the guide macfanboy linked to worked perfectly for me.

Using GA-G31M-ES2L, intel e5200, 7200GS 512mb hooked up via DVI, IDE DVD drive, etc

Everything works, QE/CI, sound (including front), sleep, ethernet, sound, etc

All is good! This is my first hackintosh build and I'm surprised it went so smoothly, thank you everyone!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
any specific kexts for 10.5.8?

I don't know for sure... I tried 10.5.8 and now going back to my stable 10.5.6 build. I don't see (and have not read) any reason to goto 10.5.8. for me things went a little wacky when I tried 10.5.8.

Going to 10.5.8 with this board will break a couple things.

1. Sleep - you can use SleepEnabler.kext.

2. Auto sleep - there is an applescript that can fix this.

3. Sound, Apple made some changes and sound won't work anymore if your using the Legacy audio kexts in /Extra/Extensions

I've included a zip file that contains the sleep and sound issues for 10.5.8 and a fix for Auto Sleep and Bonjour. The Sound kexts, Bonjour and auto sleep scripts will work for 10.6 (Snow Leopard) but the rest are for 10.5.8 only.

I included 2 pdf documents as quick guides on using the Bonjour and Auto Sleep fixes.

If you use the Legacy sound kexts, you must have a patched DSDT.aml file. I have included mine that also fixes

USB storage devices being unmounted during sleep.

Please note, this DSDT.aml file is only for the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L F8 mother board.

Extra.zip

Going to 10.5.8 with this board will break a couple things.

1. Sleep - you can use SleepEnabler.kext.

2. Auto sleep - there is an applescript that can fix this.

Are you using S1 or S3 sleep in BIOS? I tried S1 but could not get it working so I have been using S3 so far. Is there a fix so S1 sleep will work?

wow Swhay that's some awesome professional service, very much appreciated!

Can you also tell us which exact kernel you are using, and share the content of your boot.plist(s) - in Extra and in S/L/E?

Thanks,

Bus

PS: I like your sig with your SnowLeo mods, thanks for that, too :) I see you use the IntelCPUPMDisabler - have you had the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in use at all and have you made bad experiences with it? Because that's what some other people are using.

PS2: can you add an Extra.zip for SnowLeo, too, so we don't have to hunt for the appropriate SnowLeo kexts :) ?

Are you using S1 or S3 sleep in BIOS? I tried S1 but could not get it working so I have been using S3 so far. Is there a fix so S1 sleep will work?

I am using S3 sleep (turns fans off, lights etc) in the bios. Keyboard nor mouse will wake the system, but the power button works fine.

wow Swhay that's some awesome professional service, very much appreciated!

Can you also tell us which exact kernel you are using, and share the content of your boot.plist(s) - in Extra and in S/L/E?

Thanks,

Bus

PS: I like your sig with your SnowLeo mods, thanks for that, too :D I see you use the IntelCPUPMDisabler - have you had the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in use at all and have you made bad experiences with it? Because that's what some other people are using.

PS2: can you add an Extra.zip for SnowLeo, too, so we don't have to hunt for the appropriate SnowLeo kexts :) ?

Thanks, I know I struggled a little bit when I first started so if I can give back to the community i will.

I am using the stock vanilla kernel on my system.

I do not have any extra kexts in /System/Library/Extensions, everything I use is in /Extra for Chameleon.

Using Chameleon 2 RC3 boot loader

I have been using IntelCPUPMDisabler for a while no problems with it, I have used the NullCPUPowerMangement.kext testing with 10.6 a month or so ago, I am pretty sure it does the same

thing as NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Below: Snow Leo Extra folder

Extra_2.zip

Swhay, you're not using Psystar's RealtekR1000.kext at all ?? Or did you just forget to mention and include it?

No, not using RealtekR1000.kext, the Bonjour folder with the apple script and ifconfig fix Bonjour.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there,

I have G31M-ES2L v2.0 with the FF bios installed. When i try to boot to the Snow Leopard CD from the Boot 132 boot default choice, the screen goes blank after it starts to load Darwin (after it says Press any key to boot from CD).

Any suggestions?

Looks like the USB turns off, but the monitor still on, just blank. I using DVI for connection.

• 2 months later...

I updated to 10.5.8 and re-applied audio patch, sleep and bonjour seem to be working, but now front audio and microphone port aren't working. It's really not the end of the world but I was wondering if anyone with the same board was able to get front audio working after going to 10.5.8?

• 1 month later...
USB storage devices being unmounted during sleep.

Please note, this DSDT.aml file is only for the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L F8 mother board.

Extra.zip

Hi Swhay

I have the GA-G31M-ES2L resision 2 mother board bios ff. Recently I had update to 10.5.8 because of something that youtube did to their site (safari update is for 10.5.8)

Since the update, I have manged to get most things working. However any external usb devices will not mount unless they are in the port on boot.

I have heard that there are dsdt fixes to fix for this! I do have a patched dsdt in the extras folder, but it is only fixed for _wak (which I got from another board dsdt file posted somewhere. It compiled ok, and seems to working ok) I have no idea how to apply other patches. Will the fixes you applied to your board Swhay, be aplicable to my board?

I finnaly got my wifi working after many months of headaches. After 2 atheros based cards I switched to a broadcom card. Recognised as a third party airport card.

Also neither of pci cards show up in about my mac.

I'm happy with my hachentosh, which I use for editing photos. I can live with the usb issue for now, but it would be nice to get it fixed.

Cheers

[/i][/b]

Issues: I'm trying to fix. They don't seem impact anything, or matter much.

1. No memory information is displayed in the system Profiler. Get the "Error trying to display."

2. Using OSX86 tools I can adjust the "auto reset CPU info" to show my CPU correctly, but my RAM gets thrown off from 4gig to 2gig if I select "auto reset RAM info."

try disabling quickboot in the bios

• 2 weeks later...

If you have rev. 2 of the G31M-ES2L and sound working in Leo, would you please be so kind and zip + attach your DSDT + the sound kexts you use? And mention which version of Leo you are running :thumbsup_anim: ?

Thanks,

Bugs