Wireless Signal Strength

Cooknn

4 posts in this topic

So, I tweaked OS X to see my D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless card on en0 as an Airport Extreme. It works - but the signal strength stinks. It hangs around 30-50% and the issues are noticable when trying to move around on the web. My router is in the same room and is only about 15 feet away. The day before I was trying to configure an external access point and it saw the network at 100%. I just couldn't get the device to connect, so I went with the PCI card which probably should have been my first choice. Anyways, this leads me to believe it might be software related.

Is anyone else experiencing signal strength issues? Kind of hoping there's a hack to make it better...

I have the same card under 10.4.6 with the IO80211 kext from 10.4.5 and it work great. If I recall correctly (it at my workplace and i'm home now) it's recognized as an simple Airport, not Extreme... But no signal problems here.

After further investigation it seems that I may just have a wirelss topology issue. I have my router next to a wall with an omni directional antenna. So, half my signal is going outside :poster_oops:

I'm going to look at some High Gain directional antenna's tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My problem is quite similar but not the same, so I reply in this topic.

I have Dlink DWL-G520 H/W B3 wireless card and works fine but my normal(ISP) bandwidth is 60KB/s on MacOSX is only 10KB/s !! I don't known why ?? On windows bandwidth is OK but on MacOsX not.

Wireless card finds all AP an signal is OK but not speed.

Any help ?

MacOSX86 10.4.5

Mobo Asus-K8VX (marvell eth disabled by me)

AMD 64 3000+

1GB RAM