The Dell e520 Thread

Mr Giggles

1 post in this topic

Dell e520 (DM061).

This is a resource for all of those that want OSX on this bad boy. It runs Vanilla (retail.)

Install:

First of all, Boot-123 for e520 by blkhockeypro19 is probably the easiest way to get a OSX vanilla install. This method did not work for me when I had a pentium D, but worked perfectly after I upgraded to a q6600. There are many positive reports for the core2's as well. Headache avoidance tip #1: if install doesn't work for you, go into BIOS and change dell's silly disk raid support to the other setting. Also, I had to use the 'escape welcome loop' trick (see post) on first boot. YMMV.

Networking:

After install the first thing you will want is networking. Native networking is not supported for those of us with ich8 (AFAIK). The drivers for ICH9 and ICH 7 are around, but the majority of e520's use the incompatible ich8.

Attempts worth trying:Modified Intel82566MM by dr.Vox

My solution: PCI networking card. :P

Sound:

by dyrdymal. Plug in your speakers. Works fantastic.

There you go! a completely stable mac you never need to worry about updating or kernel problems.

overall a fantastic, inexpensive machine. I've been using mine as a primary for a while. Rock solid.

Extras

-----------

SysProfiler:

The e520 is prone to the profiler bug, especially if you have a proc thats not "vanilla."

If you want sysprofiler to show your chip info correctly, try here

Bootloader:

Chameleon DFE (see boot-132 post: HERE) This is the easy way to "permanent-ize" your boot-132 disk. Just follow directions and you won't need your CD anymore to boot.

Chameleon 2.0r1 (or Chameleon 1 ): Haven't figured out how to get past the "waiting for root" problem, even after using chameleon DFE first. Boot with "ignore caches" flag, and it works fine.

Other Resources:

wmarsh's e520 thread