Gigabyte EP-45-DS3L dual boot with Vista and iPC 10.5.6

m82a1

45 posts in this topic

Same thing hapened. I'm reinstalling now.

Asus P5W Home Deluxe motherboard.

NVidia 8600 GT

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Seagate 160GB Sata HDD

3GB of ram

I think I did a mistake when choosing the correct drivers and bootloader. Which ones should I choose I was not sure

try a base install, because this guide is for the gigabyte ep45-ds3l motherboard, wrong drivers can possibly cause the issues u are having. you need to find a guide for your motheboard, this is not it, driver wise anyways.

Many thanks for the info.

Your instructions worked fine.

The Sleep command induces a heavy sleep, but the computer can be woken up with keyboard stroke. Waking up means it just goes through the reboot process. Normal?

dont know, i dont use sleep.

Maybe it is a common problem but after the install I found that I was only registered as a user not as an admin.

Going back to the- restarting w/ install disk - password utility- didn't do anything.

I found this Apple doc, provides the procedure to fix this issue, Admin user changes to standard.

Now my user name is "Root" :unsure:

you may not want to use root, as it is a very powerful account and can be unsafe, same idea as linux, use only root account and commands if u absolutely must.

My audio is ALC888. I followed the suggested procedure from part 4.

I now have a normal sound out of the headphone output.

But when I change over in Sound Prefs to Line Out, I get nothing from the rear panel speaker outputs

(I presume that the speaker output sockets are the same as the headphone output socket - mini jack?).

What would be the next thing to try to get more sound options?

I have a decent ext. focusrite firewire sound card which I can use but I'd prefer to be using that card elsewhere.

get drivers for your focusrite sound card then

on my system, i have to choose in preferences between "internal speaker" to use the rear port, and "headphones" (or something like that) to use the front panel headphone jack....kind of annoying

theres a link to the driver package for the alc888 for the ep-45-ds3l motherboard...

What is it with the orange colour to hd icons on the desktop?

The icons were orange and now they are plain old grey.

Is there any reason or meaning to that?

orange with a firewire or a usb icon? (forgot which), then you have to install the "sata drive icon fix (new)" from the fixes area in the customize area of the install dvd

Thanks for the reply.

I found out later that my install disc was corrupted so I burned another and decided to re install.

After that it went much better.

After the reinstall, I was in there as the Admin, no more sniffing around as an emasculated guest.

I installed the sound files package into the re-install (from nr 4 in the guide) to get the onboard sound going. After that, I have the headphones, plus the coax and optical sound outputs working. Sound quality is decent enough for what I want from this computer.

Everything that I have installed for my needs, firewire card, ethernet card, usb phone etc all work grand.

Transfer speeds are top notch. No task is too much trouble.

Can the installation handle a security update or is that kind of thing best left untouched?

Can the installation handle a security update or is that kind of thing best left untouched?

if u have a core 2 series cpu, u can install updates without having to worry about kernel panics or what not.

I found this thread too late :).

I created a partition in vista and installed IPC on it. It works fine but I need the DVD to be in there in order to boot in OSX? Now, like I've said, I found this thread too late. When I created the partition, I didn't go in DOS to set it as "active" and I was wondering if that affected my Vista because I can't boot to vista anymore. Every time I boot with the DVD I get an error "Boot0: error".

1. How can I boot back into vista?

2. What can I do to boot into OSX without the IPC DVD?

I found this thread too late :P .

I created a partition in vista and installed IPC on it. It works fine but I need the DVD to be in there in order to boot in OSX? Now, like I've said, I found this thread too late. When I created the partition, I didn't go in DOS to set it as "active" and I was wondering if that affected my Vista because I can't boot to vista anymore. Every time I boot with the DVD I get an error "Boot0: error".

1. How can I boot back into vista?

2. What can I do to boot into OSX without the IPC DVD?

not setting the partition as active could generate a boot0 error or a .plist error

I finally finished installing Mac OS X. However as you know my motherboard is Asus P5W so audio, network card, video card(in 1440x900) didn't work. Where can I find the drivers of my P5W for iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final. If not I already started to download Kalyway 10.5.1. I heard that it is the best version for Aus P5W. Any idea mate?

look for it on the ipc dvd, there probably are drivers for ur specific board on the dvd. this guide is for Gigabyte boards mostly. look around this forum, search!

Thanks, much but how can I get back in windows? So I pick Voodoo as my Kernel for my Dell Vostro 400: Q6600?

NO

read the guide again about kernels

if u just wana get back into windows and fast restore the mbr. google it

Thanks but is there a way to boot to OSX without the DVD after installation?

Edit: List Disk doesn't detect my Windows Partition but it detected as one whole hard drive.

Edit2: Ok, now I see the partitions but it has "Extended and Logical" partition.

Partition 1 OEM 63MB

Partition 2 Primary 100MB

Partition 3 Primary 120MB

Partition 0 Extended 78GB

Partition 4 Logical 78GB

Edit: List Disk doesn't detect my Windows Partition but it detected as one whole hard drive.

yes there is a way to boot osx without the dvd...IT IS ALL IN THE GUIDE

go back to the tutorial follow the instructions, if u cant be bothered to read it step by step, i cant be bothered to help u

Edit2: Ok, now I see the partitions but it has "Extended and Logical" partition.

Partition 1 OEM 63MB

Partition 4 Logical 78GB

Partition 1 OEM 63MB

Partition 4 Logical 78GB

yes......

take out the dvd, boot from the hd, and u should see a black screen like this

macos-x86-25.jpg

in this screen u should be able to choose which os to boot into, if u cant something was done wrong.

yes......

take out the dvd, boot from the hd, and u should see a black screen like this

in this screen u should be able to choose which os to boot into, if u cant something was done wrong.

Thanks, I'm reading it over and over again. It doesn't say anything about the Extended or Logical partitions. What should I do with those partitions? I want to install it on the 78GB partition which is now labeled under "Type" as Extended and Logical. I'm supposed to have only one 78GB. BTW, thank you for putting up with me.

Thanks, I'm reading it over and over again. It doesn't say anything about the Extended or Logical partitions. What should I do with those partitions? I want to install it on the 78GB partition which is now labeled under "Type" as Extended and Logical. I'm supposed to have only one 78GB. BTW, thank you for putting up with me.

i cant help u because i dont know how far u are with the partitioning, Part 1 - B - Partitioning with same hard drive as Vista. is what u should read, if u dont wana partition, pick up a seperate hard drive, it easier, way easier :)

I'm at this step:

ype in "list disk" there IS a space between "list" and "disk"!

Type "select disk X" X = the disk you have partitioned. Example: I made a 20GB partition out of a 200GB partition, and it was labeled as disk 0 in Disk Management, I'd type "select disk 0"

Once you have selected the disk with the command mentioned above, diskpart will display "Disk X is now the selected disk" (X = the disk you have partitioned). Now type "list partition" If you know your hard drive has only had one partition, prior to partitioning, and you only see one partition after you've entered "list partition" then we are good, if you see more than one, clearly you did something else, so fix it.

I'm at this step:

i tried to be nice, now i gota say it:

READ IT. START OVER. I DIDNT MAKE THIS GUIDE TO BE BOMBARDED WITH QUESTIONS THAT IS IN THE GUIDE. i dont care how i sound, but this is ridiculous.

Dude, I'm sorry that you are mad but it seems like you don't understand the question. You said u don't know how far I'm at the partition and I just told you. Why are you upset? I'm reading it over and over but you don't cover the Logitech and Extended partitions. Why are you upset when you don't understand the question or even address it?

Your Guide is not perfect that's why questions exist.

Dude, I'm sorry that you are mad but it seems like you don't understand the question. You said u don't know how far I'm at the partition and I just told you. Why are you upset? I'm reading it over and over but you don't cover the Logitech and Extended partitions. Why are you upset when you don't understand the question or even address it?

because everything is in the guide...i didnt make the guide to be asked 100 noob questions

and its not logitech, its logical. :)

Ha! It was a typo.

After the install is finished, take out the dvd, when you see the black screen, the bootloader, press any key to be able to type commands, then type "-f" and hit enter to boot. This is a must, and is required to make sure all the .kexts are loaded properly.

Didn't even give me an option to type a command. Just told me to hit any keys.

When I press f12, it didn't give me an option to choose vista nor osx. I've the exact steps you posted.

Ha! It was a typo.

Didn't even give me an option to type a command. Just told me to hit any keys.

When I press f12, it didn't give me an option to choose vista nor osx. I've the exact steps you posted.

ok...i sent u a pm, cuz its getting annoying on the forums now...so read the pm