Gigabyte EP-45-DS3L dual boot with Vista and iPC 10.5.6

m82a1

45 posts in this topic

iPC 10.5.6 on Gigabyte EP-45 DS3L and others with Vista dual boot

Noob Friendly

V1.3 / updated May 14th, 2009

This guide mainly focuses on the Gigabyte EP-45 DS3L motherboard, but it is useful for laptops and desktops too, when I am explaining how to install. Any drivers for a motherboard besides the GA-EP45-DS3L, you have to search for it yourself. Just ignore the red text if you are not using the Gigabyte EP-45-DS3L. (Changed May 14th, 2009)

Notes: if the text is in RED, it only applies to the Gigabyte EP-45-DS3L motherboard.

If the text is in BLUE, it applies to other motherboards that do NOT use a Core2 Series CPU, such as an Athlon, Phenom, Pentium 4, and so on.

If the text is in GREEN it applies to other computer configurations, and not only the Gigabyte EP-45-DS3L motherboard. (added April 1st, 2009)

Requirements

• iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final burnt to a dvd (changed April 10th, 2009)

• Vista installed
  • Compatible hardware: this you have to search for on the forums, and that does not mean making threads such as "will my video card work?"!
  • Core2 series cpu preferred.

If you do not feel comfortable partitioning a hard drive that has important data on it, buy another hard drive solely for OS X.

Part 1 – Partitioning

Read Part 1 - A, if you wish to use a whole hard drive for Mac, because we can just format the whole hard drive from the Disk Utility on the iPC dvd. If you don't wish to use a whole hard drive for Mac, Read Part 1 - B. I'd say using one whole hard drive just for OS X is the way to go, you don't really have to worry about space, and if your Vista hard drive dies, your OS X's won't.

Part 1 - A - Seperate Hard Drive

Boot into Mac dvd, right click the hard drive that you will use, click "Partition", under "Volume Scheme" select how many partitions you want, and then click "apply" button.

Once it is erased, click the red button in the top left cornor, the close button, and then again for the Disk Utility window. Now you're back to the main install screen. Click "Continue", then "Agree". The Select a Destination screen is displayed now, click the correct partition / disk to install to. You DO have to customize installation options as per your computer configuration. Scroll down to Part 5.

Part 1 - B - Partitioning with same hard drive as Vista.

In Vista, click "Start" button, right click "Computer" click "Manage" A window will come up. There is a pane on the left side, find "Storage" then click "Disk Management". In this area, you have to be able to identify your hard drives. Once you have done that, right click the partition you wish to make smaller, and click "Shrink Volume"

post-92861-1238385614_thumb.jpg

Take note which disk you are shrinking.Example: "Disk 0", we'll need this when using DISKPART.

post-92861-1238386507_thumb.gif

post-92861-1238384659_thumb.jpg

A small window will come up after you have clicked "Shrink Volume". In this window, you will set the size, in MegaBytes (MB), as to much you want to shrink your current partition by. Example: you have a 100GB partition, you want 20GBs for OS X, so then you shrink by 20GB, or 20480MB. You can use an online calculator, if you can't do it in your head. Keep in mind which volume / HD you've shrunk. Such as Disk 0, or Disk 1, I know I said it earlier, but I'm saying it for a reason. Once you're done determining how much free space you'll need, click "Shrink", once it is done, you will have an unallocated partition.

Part 2 – Creating an HFS + Journaled partition in Vista

Close everything, click "Start" button, in the search type in "cmd"

post-92861-1238384457_thumb.jpg

Now type in "diskpart". Remember when I mentioned twice to remember which disk you have partitioned? This is where it comes in use.

Type in "list disk" there IS a space between "list" and "disk"!

Type "select disk X" X = the disk you have partitioned. Example: I made a 20GB partition out of a 200GB partition, and it was labeled as disk 0 in Disk Management, I'd type "select disk 0"

Once you have selected the disk with the command mentioned above, diskpart will display "Disk X is now the selected disk" (X = the disk you have partitioned). Now type "list partition" If you know your hard drive has only had one partition, prior to partitioning, and you only see one partition after you've entered "list partition" then we are good, if you see more than one, clearly you did something else, so fix it.

post-92861-1238384484_thumb.jpg

Type "create partition primary id=af" this command makes our unallocated partition into a Mac HFS + Journaled partition. If it is a success you will see, "DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition."

Finally type "active". After that you should see, "DiskPart marked the current partition as active" type "exit" and "exit" again, first one is to exit diskpart, second one is to exit dos.

Part 3 – Installing Mac. Are you excited? no? then stop reading this... :)

Now close everything, insert your iPC dvd into the dvd drive, reboot your computer. Make sure the boot priority in the BIOS is set to boot off the dvd drive, get out your EP-45-DS3L manual to find out how to set this, if you're nervous in the bios. Or, at boot, when you see POST text, or the green splash screen, hit f12, scroll down to select the dvd drive.A black screen will appear with text displaying "Press any key to start up from the CD-ROM", press any key now.

post-92861-1238384500_thumb.jpg

obviously, press any key.

post-92861-1238384532_thumb.jpg

This is what you'll see booting into the Mac dvd.

After some time there will be a window where you choose what language you wish to operate in. When the installer appears open the "Disk Utility", to do that go to the top, click "utilities", click "Disk Utility"

post-92861-1238384564_thumb.jpg

A new window will come up. Now select the disk where you created your Mac partition from Windows, and select the partition. You can tell it is the mac partition you created by looking at each partitions information. At the bottom of this window look at "Format" it should say "Mac OS Extended (journaled)".

post-92861-1238389661_thumb.jpg

Once you have found the right partition, right click it, click "Erase". Another window will come up, and make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", finally click "erase".

post-92861-1238389652_thumb.jpg

Once it is erased, click the red button in the top left cornor, the close button, and then again for the Disk Utility window. Now you're back to the main install screen. Click "Continue", then "Agree". The Select a Destination screen is displayed now, click the correct partition / disk to install to. You DO have to customize installation options as per your computer configuration.

Part 4 - Gigabyte EP-45 DS3L ONLY – Drivers and Fixes

Sound - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=123697, download the .dmg from the very first post, mount it, and install the drivers. This has worked on my motherboard, after you reboot you will have to choose sound output, go to System Preferences > Sound > Output tab, choose onboard speaker, or built in speaker, I forgot how it was written.

LAN – Under Ethernet drivers in the customize section when installing: Realtek R1000

Chipset – Under Chipset in the customize section when installing: Intel ICH10 SATA Support

Fixes: Sata Drive Icon Fix (NEW), since this is a dual boot guide install the Dual boot time sync fix, and shutdown / restart fix.

NOT ONLY FOR GIGABYTE-EP45-DS3L

Fixes > AppleSMBIOS Patch> install the correct one depending how fast your RAM runs. I use 4 x 1 GB OCZ Reapers at 1066 MHz, I install the 1066MHz patch.

Drivers > USB Drivers > Patched USB Drivers - can double your transfer speeds

ONLY IF NOT USING A CORE2 SERIES CPU!

Under Kernels in the customize section, select 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Under Fixes select Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

Once everything is selected proceed to install.

After the install is finished, take out the dvd, when you see the black screen, the bootloader, press any key to be able to type commands, then type "-f" and hit enter to boot. This is a must, and is required to make sure all the .kexts are loaded properly.

Part 5 - Dual boot

you can boot into either OS, Vista or Mac by:

1 = Hitting f12 when the pc starts, and choosing the correct HD

2 = Take a look into easybcd v2.0, as of this date, March 30th, it is still in beta stage. Read at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142582

If you've installed OS X onto the same hard drive as Vista, using different partitions of course, you will get a black screen, similair to the dvd boot screen, which allows you to choose operating systems.

Thanks for reading my guide, I'm m82a1, and I consider this guide to be quite noob friendly, I do not really care for PM's, so please do not send them because from the few I've gotten from random people, I can't understand what you are trying to say that is the cold harsh truth.

Questions / comments welcome, I'll just have to remind myself to check back to this thread.

Greets to: kristinc my friend on this forum :) , ~pcwiz for making this awesome distro, and to the rest of my friends on other forums. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for writing this, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

I'm in the boot screen right now...it's been like this for like half an hour. I see the apple sign but there's no spinning loading wheel. Is there a problem, or do I have to wait longer,

oof upon further inspection when I get to the part where it says 'press any key to continue' and I don't press right away this pops up:

'system config file '/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found

I'm pretty sure I followed the directions to the dot.. The only difference on the Darwin boot page is I have 4gb ram instead of 2.

I'm using the new iPC iso, the one that's 4.3 gb.

Any clue what's going on? My hardware is pretty standard..core2duo 1.83 ghz intel, nvidia 8800gt.

:/

O_O

and now my computer is missing an operating system when I try to boot normally. Halp. X.x

how did u install? what method?

oof upon further inspection when I get to the part where it says 'press any key to continue' and I don't press right away this pops up:

'system config file '/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found

u have to push any key...or else it'll attempt to boot into an already installed mac

and the error u are getting usually means that the mac hd was not set as active

Er.. I did what you said up there?

Got the most recent iPC, put it on a DVD,

Partitioned the hard drive, gave the new partition 15 gb, did the command prompt stuff to the partitions, then restarted and tried to boot from DVD. And now my vista OS is gone, apparently.

Whoops read your post. Ok so ...how do I set that as active?

Er.. I did what you said up there?

Got the most recent iPC, put it on a DVD,

Partitioned the hard drive, gave the new partition 15 gb, did the command prompt stuff to the partitions, then restarted and tried to boot from DVD. And now my vista OS is gone, apparently.

Whoops read your post. Ok so ...how do I set that as active?

the last few sentences just above Part 3

im sure ur vista is safe, just the boot loader got borked, maybe not even that. for ease of mind, take out the ipc dvd and try to boot back into it :) if that doesnt work, boot into ur vista dvd and click repair my computer and click something like startup issues, or something :)

alright dude i tried to redo this from a clean install of vista and i got to the apple loading screen and this time there WAS a spinning loading wheel, but it froze and the boot loader died again.

and i'm really sure i did all the steps this time.

should i reburn the iPC disk maybe?

ok ive done this correctly to the absolute T now. but i get stuck, maybe im not, and im not waiting long enough but here is my problem.

the mac dvd boots up, and i get to the grey screen where the mouse cursor turns into the apple spinning color wheel. the cd drive is still spinning, and so is the color wheel for about a minute and nothing comes up.

the cd drive then stops spinning but the apple color wheel is still spinning and all is silent, no hard drive movement, nothing. i once left it there like that for like 5 or so minutes, but i then i turned off my comp, and tryed again. so here is my plea

HELP!!!

ok i found a fix to it. when the disk boots and says click any button to continue, i click f8 and type in -x. and that made it all work, up to the point where i go into the disk utility.

the disk utility is not recognizing my disk drive and its partitions so once again, i send out a plea!

HELP!!

ok i found a fix to it. when the disk boots and says click any button to continue, i click f8 and type in -x. and that made it all work, up to the point where i go into the disk utility.

the disk utility is not recognizing my disk drive and its partitions so once again, i send out a plea!

HELP!!

it doesnt see any of ur hard drives? or it sees them but u have to partition them, if thats the case, go back to the guide :)

please give accurate descriptions people :D

my decription was accurate enough, but apparently your reading isnt. anyways, it didnt see any of my hard drives, that was the problem, but i fixed it by gooogling, and finding out that it helps to boot my hard drive as ahci, not ide. to change that go into your bios. thanks all.

my decription was accurate enough, but apparently your reading isnt. anyways, it didnt see any of my hard drives, that was the problem, but i fixed it by gooogling, and finding out that it helps to boot my hard drive as ahci, not ide. to change that go into your bios. thanks all.

yes that was going to be my next thing to say, to try AHCI. the ep45-ds3l does not have IDE option, or at least i dont think so. are u using an ide drive?

ps - i did not mean u about the description i meant people in general, check ur attitude :)

my bad with the tude.

im using a sata drive. but thats all fixed now. ive successfully installed it and it is working, but the problem i am having now, it that is only boots correctly if i put in the safe mode code -x and hit enter, before it starts up you know, on that black command screen. help?

also, how do i change the resolution from 1024x768 to my native which is 1440x900?

I could use some help with this, I've followed your instructions through twice and both times resulted in the same error. When it starts to load MacOS (after complete installation), the white background with the silver apple logo pops up for a split second and then the computer reboots, every time.

I'm using the EP35-DS3L, and not the EP-45 like you are. I was hoping it would work out, but apparently not. If you have any idea why, I'd love to know.

**EDIT** I just realized that I have ICH9 and not ICH10... i'm a tard... gonna go try reinstalling again :)

**EDIT2** Welp, after installing it with ICHx instead of ICH10, same bug. /sigh

**EDIT3** Solved - No Execute Memory Protect in Bios Settings fixed the issue.

I could use some help with this, I've followed your instructions through twice and both times resulted in the same error. When it starts to load MacOS (after complete installation), the white background with the silver apple logo pops up for a split second and then the computer reboots, every time.

I'm using the EP35-DS3L, and not the EP-45 like you are. I was hoping it would work out, but apparently not. If you have any idea why, I'd love to know.

**EDIT** I just realized that I have ICH9 and not ICH10... i'm a tard... gonna go try reinstalling again :P

**EDIT2** Welp, after installing it with ICHx instead of ICH10, same bug. /sigh

**EDIT3** Solved - No Execute Memory Protect in Bios Settings fixed the issue.

awesome good job :)

musicluv08 - install video drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 2 harddisks in my PC. I have Vista installed in my C drive. I want to install Mac OS X into drive D. Can I make dual boot also? I read the post, it says

"If you've installed OS X onto the same hard drive as Vista, using different partitions of course, you will get a black screen, similair to the dvd boot screen, which allows you to choose operating systems."

So I won't intall it on the same drive as Vista. I'll install it to whole different harddisk. Can I get that black screen and allow me to choose operating systems?

you are making a fine choice by installing to a completely different hard drive :)

you can boot into either OS, Vista or Mac by:

1 = Hitting f12 when the pc starts, and choosing the correct HD

on the ep45 ds3l motherboard, the f12 is the boot button, u can choose what to boot from, without having to change the boot priority in the bios. it could be possible you get the black screen if u leave the vista hard drive connected while installing mac. i'm just not sure, because i always disconnect additional hard drives, for safety reasons.

macos-x86-25.jpg

it is that you type in -f. = and thats it. see what u get, if not, reinstall, disconnect any extra hardware, such as all usb devices, and pci cards, but leave the video card in.

pc specs please ;)

Many thanks for the info.

Your instructions worked fine.

Previously I just did a base install and it booted up okay.

Selecting your suggested Install options meant that a video driver loaded as well as proper response to restart and shut down commands. Maybe more good stuff as well, to be found out later.

The Sleep command induces a heavy sleep, but the computer can be woken up with keyboard stroke. Waking up means it just goes through the reboot process. Normal?

Maybe it is a common problem but after the install I found that I was only registered as a user not as an admin.

Going back to the- restarting w/ install disk - password utility- didn't do anything.

I found this Apple doc, provides the procedure to fix this issue, Admin user changes to standard.

Now my user name is "Root" ;)

My audio is ALC888. I followed the suggested procedure from part 4.

I now have a normal sound out of the headphone output.

But when I change over in Sound Prefs to Line Out, I get nothing from the rear panel speaker outputs

(I presume that the speaker output sockets are the same as the headphone output socket - mini jack?).

What would be the next thing to try to get more sound options?

I have a decent ext. focusrite firewire sound card which I can use but I'd prefer to be using that card elsewhere.

What is it with the orange colour to hd icons on the desktop?

The icons were orange and now they are plain old grey.

Is there any reason or meaning to that?