Need More Firewire Ports?

strhess

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a pcie firwire card for my hack pro. It would run an external drive, a focusrite liquidmix and an m-audio projectmix. Does anyone know of a particular card that is efficient and comes with drivers for OS X?

Thanks in advance.

People say TI chipset for the FW card is the way to go. I did but with a Pci FW card so I can´t help you with a specific card but I guess any card with the amount of FW ports you want and with Texas Instrument chipset onboard should work.

People say TI chipset for the FW card is the way to go. I did but with a Pci FW card so I can´t help you with a specific card but I guess any card with the amount of FW ports you want and with Texas Instrument chipset onboard should work.

I bought one from ebay, VIA chipset works OOB although I don't have it installed at the moment because I've run out of PCI slots.

I bought one from ebay, VIA chipset works OOB although I don't have it installed at the moment because I've run out of PCI slots.

So the operating doesn't have any issues recognising a PCI firewire card? Mac Pro's not having PCI ports i would have thought that there would be no drivers to support a PCI firewire card. I guess my logic is flawed but i do not understand why this works? Anyone want to try and enlighten me?

So the operating doesn't have any issues recognising a PCI firewire card? Mac Pro's not having PCI ports i would have thought that there would be no drivers to support a PCI firewire card. I guess my logic is flawed but i do not understand why this works? Anyone want to try and enlighten me?

Didn't need to instal drivers, it was literally plug in and play.

The only issue I've had was not to do with the card but the firewire kext ( gives me longer shutdown times) but would guess that depends on what setup and would do it anyway card or not. Apart from that it worked fine.

It doesn't show in the system profiler you got a PCI card but what it will show is the firewire and speed etc in the firewire part of the hardware list.

Well even though Mac's don't have the older PCI slots they still have the PCI bus and the chips that drive it this is what matters not the shape of the slot if the controller works what is attached to it has the chance of working as well. Now when OS X boots and the system sees the PCID of the card in that slot matches one in the driver .kext it is loaded and associated with that device therefore it ends up just working.