What the cheapest video card that will work?

3 posts in this topic

I have an old P4 system that I want to play with OSX on. Can anyone tell me which inexpensive AGP or PCI video cards are currently working, or are likely to work in the near future with OSX? Speed is not important. I want the cards video acceleration features to be supported (how ever basic they may be), I want to be able to change resolution, color depth and refresh rates from the control panel and play DVDs full screen. Price is my primary concern. I'd even be content with an old ATI Rage pro if it functioned the same way as the Rage cards in older PPC macs.

depending on your cpu and ram, the cheapest fully supported video card might just be a motherboard. i spent 60 dollars. :pirate2:

Asrock 915GL, GMA900 w' QE & CI, P4 3.0Ghz 1.4Gigs ram

it's one hella overclocked mac mini, and a lot of fun. you an run all the cool stuff, tickr for flicker, CoverFlow, screensavers as

desktop background etc.

pci-e/agp slots can be used without disabling onboad video, so you can still play Half Life 2 in windows without having to swap. :(

I have an old P4 system that I want to play with OSX on. Can anyone tell me which inexpensive AGP or PCI video cards are currently working, or are likely to work in the near future with OSX? Speed is not important. I want the cards video acceleration features to be supported (how ever basic they may be), I want to be able to change resolution, color depth and refresh rates from the control panel and play DVDs full screen. Price is my primary concern. I'd even be content with an old ATI Rage pro if it functioned the same way as the Rage cards in older PPC macs.

Well I've been trying to find an answer for this question for about 2 months now..

First of all you as far as i am concered you can't get everything with just one card. Some Atı cards provide QE/CI which means DVD's, games etc.. but none provides Resolution change from within control panel yet...

Whereas on the other hand all the Nvidia cards provide Resolution change from within control panel but there is no QE/CI support for any Nvidia card...

The cheapest Atı card would be a Ati Radeon 9600 it would cost you $50-70 and you would get QE/CI

About Nvidia's you can check www.macvidia.com for more info. There is a driver avaliable for nvidia written by community members it supports almost all Nvidia chips. but this driver has no QE/CI like i saıd....

Also Omni is working on a driver for ATI cards....

I am also very confused on what to do. coz it's not easy to make a decision. For example the God of all ati users himself "Omni" has switched lang time ago to Nvidia while he thinks it's more clever to own an Nvidia..... Confusing or what???

I decided to wait a little more before investing any money coz just like you my funds are also limited...

cheers