Can I install leopard from an external USB Hard drive?

applehacker

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys! I plan on getting an X41 Tablet really soon, but it doesn't have a dvd drive. I do however have an external hard drive, and another osx86 computer running. Can I start the OSX86 installer from the hard drive (boot from usb key option in bios) so that I can install without having to buy an external dvd drive?

Hi guys! I plan on getting an X41 Tablet really soon, but it doesn't have a dvd drive. I do however have an external hard drive, and another osx86 computer running. Can I start the OSX86 installer from the hard drive (boot from usb key option in bios) so that I can install without having to buy an external dvd drive?

you would have to install all the osx86 boot up stuff on the hard drive and make partition on the hard drive to install it on. then switch the boot mode to boot from the hard drive. Then i think you could install it onto the other partition and later comeback and delete the install partition. This is a guestimate, so im not completely sure but its worth a try.

i need solid info, not guessing please. Is there a way i can install the iso as it is to the external hard drive?

No need to put the ISO on the drive you can take your already existing install to use either cloned to the external or installed onto from the running system then make the proper adjustments needed for your new machine to boot with it once it does then you can format/partition new machine booted from the external to clone/install onto it.

No need to put the ISO on the drive you can take your already existing install to use either cloned to the external or installed onto from the running system then make the proper adjustments needed for your new machine to boot with it once it does then you can format/partition new machine booted from the external to clone/install onto it.

I find it easier to just do a fresh install. I have an empty 8GB Usb flash drive, which should be plenty of space for the iPC 10.5.6 disk? I just need to copy the contents to the usb key and make it bootable. Thats really what im looking to do. Any ideas on how to do that?

I find it easier to just do a fresh install. I have an empty 8GB Usb flash drive, which should be plenty of space for the iPC 10.5.6 disk? I just need to copy the contents to the usb key and make it bootable. Thats really what im looking to do. Any ideas on how to do that?

See this thread post.....

Ok here is what ive done so far:

I used osx86 tools to make my usb drive bootable (darwin bootloader)

i used disk utility to restore the iPC 10.5.6 to my usb drive.

here is teh issue:

Loading darwin X86 then BANG reboot

Any idea how to fix this?

nvm. i fixed my own problem! I now have a working OS X install flash drive! Now look at this: I can boot and install leopard in 5 minutes. I am never using conventional dvds EVER again. 0 boot time! 4 minute install time!

nvm. i fixed my own problem! I now have a working OS X install flash drive! Now look at this: I can boot and install leopard in 5 minutes. I am never using conventional dvds EVER again. 0 boot time! 4 minute install time!

That is good news......even better would be to tell forum readers how you fixed the boot problem....... :(

think i should post a tut in the genius bar?

If you believe you have a 'breakthrough' procedure why not start your own topic......at least readers can post questions easily.....