A working MiniPCI Express wireless card

39 posts in this topic

Understood.

I would like to see more feedbacks for this card before purchasing it, if you tell me that it's not so cheap.

Meanwhile other cards with this chip would come out.

well if you live in the states, you should seriously consider purchasing the dell wireless 1390... its a mini pci express card with the exact same chipset as the MBP. (i think atheros 2454 or something like that). and most importantly, it only costs $30!!!!!

It's risky cause it might not work cause its a dell and you have an acer. But i think the odds are good. might be worth the cause, let us know! I mean, afterall i spent $70 to try this pcd global card :)

hey DJTriX, i'm going to test your "crazy dance of Intel/PCD wifi miniPCIe card" :) to see if my PCD cards (got the b/g and the a/b/g) works... in the mid time something cool will be to upload somewhere your kexts... :)

Z

hey DJTriX, i'm going to test your "crazy dance of Intel/PCD wifi miniPCIe card" :) to see if my PCD cards (got the b/g and the a/b/g) works... in the mid time something cool will be to upload somewhere your kexts... :)

Z

Well i cant legally upload the .kext files, because this would make apple very angry. Regardless im using the default ones that come with MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso.

Ontop of this... i think there is some strong hope in our future for these cards. This is because the new macbooks use the ar5006x chipset!!!! so those new macbooks must be shipping with newer drivers than the ar5004x which is what i've been using so far.

Now just to find someone who owns a macbook and is generous enough to give us the files....

I just upgraded my Intel card to another Intel card (2200bg) last month. Oh well, if I can find a $30-40 solution to the wireless problem, that isn't too bad.

I do need it to work under Suse Linux as well now, so I have to research 2 unsupported operating systems now...

well if you live in the states, you should seriously consider purchasing the dell wireless 1390... its a mini pci express card with the exact same chipset as the MBP. (i think atheros 2454 or something like that). and most importantly, it only costs $30!!!!!

It's risky cause it might not work cause its a dell and you have an acer. But i think the odds are good. might be worth the cause, let us know! I mean, afterall i spent $70 to try this pcd global card :D

I'm Italian. However I think it's possible to find it in Europe. I'll put together some money and will give it a try :)

for Caps18: the best solution for linux is a PCMCIA or USB D-Link card, I think (or PCI if you are using it on a desktop computer)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is reviving a dead thread. I've read so many topics (still reading) to try to get wireles on my HP Dv1000 with OSx10.4.6 to 10.4.7 update by JaS, that I am posting in most of them. I am willing to buy a new wireless card to replace my Intel2200bg, but I'm worried that what I get won't work in 10.4.6/7.

Can you help? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I just bought an ASUS Z96J and I havn't yet purchased a wireless card. I would like one that works with OSX86, Windows and preferably Linux as well and it needs to be mini pci express. Both the Dell 1390 and 1490 are mini pci express but has anyone had any experience with them? Gotten them working other than just after the install?

Thanks so much in advance.

• 1 month later...

One more thing... I figured out a simple solution. I purchased a Mini-PCI Express card (AKA Airport Extreme) from Apple as a replacement for a MacBook. I put it into my laptop and it worked in Mac OS X and Windows (Used the Bootcamp Driver). Apple does not stock these and must order them as replacement parts.

I tried the Dell 1390 and my laptop wouldn't boot so I tried the AR5006EX and it boots, but when 10.4.7 boots up I get a message like "System Extension Cannot Be Used." It points to the Atheros driver within the IO80211 kext. I used the kext from 10.4.5. Does anyone know what I can do now that I've spent way to much on wireless cards? Thanks so much in advance.

MrFuzzemz

ASUS Z96J

EDIT: Here is exactly what the error says: System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

does anyone no where you can buy a dell 1390 mini pci express wlan card? also if anyone is interested i have a dell true mobile 1450 card for sale which is unopened and brand spanking new!

If you pay for shipping I'll give you the one I have - Not compatable with HP - Damnit!!

Hey everyone. I just bought an ASUS Z96J and I havn't yet purchased a wireless card. I would like one that works with OSX86, Windows and preferably Linux as well and it needs to be mini pci express. Both the Dell 1390 and 1490 are mini pci express but has anyone had any experience with them? Gotten them working other than just after the install?

Thanks so much in advance.

I bought one from Dell for $21.00, and It is not compatabel with HP - I get a boot error. I would check the posts to see if any one has had any progress with these cards with your specs. I did, and everyone with the intel chipset that I have - it worked, but none of them were HP's.