Single GPT Drive with OSX and Vista

4 posts in this topic

I apologize if creating a thread to point out a post on another thread is a no-no, however, I have seen many people ask about this issue so thought it might warrant the extra thread.

I have started work on a patch and have a preliminary version out and working that allows proper dual-booting of Vista x64 and OSX on the same GPT formatted hard drive.

Please check out this thread on using the hidden EFI system partition for doing vanilla installs... my post is on this thread because it is the boot loader from this thread my patch was created for.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1104080

I hope this helps someone out... and sorry again for thread spam, if that is the ruling for this thread! :)

-Eidola

Anyone try this out?

Or, does anyone else have Vista x64 SP1 and OSX working off the same single SATA drive formatted with GPT and who didn't need a patch to make the Darwin Bootloader work? :)

I thought there might be more response to this since a number of threads seem to show people having the same issue I was, and have now fixed. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I apologize if creating a thread to point out a post on another thread is a no-no, however, I have seen many people ask about this issue so thought it might warrant the extra thread.

I have started work on a patch and have a preliminary version out and working that allows proper dual-booting of Vista x64 and OSX on the same GPT formatted hard drive.

Please check out this thread on using the hidden EFI system partition for doing vanilla installs... my post is on this thread because it is the boot loader from this thread my patch was created for.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1104080

I hope this helps someone out... and sorry again for thread spam, if that is the ruling for this thread! :worried_anim:

-Eidola

Eidola, not spam at all in my opinion!

I'm interested in giving this a try but I have vista 32-bit. So getting it installed to a guid partition has been difficult. Even with a gptsync'ed mbr, the vista installer knows something's up and won't install. I'm currently trying to install from within a Fusion virtual machine. This seems to install correctly to the partition and for better or worse the mbr is not updated. I don't know whether I'll be able to boot this vista partition or not.

Actually, I came across your post just a little too late. Yesterday I tried this on the same gpt disk as my os x partition which is using the EFI partition boot method. And I soon realized that I couldn't dual boot b/c the vista partition wouldn't show in the list. So now I'm doing this vista install to my second gpt disk. :( Wish I had seen your post yesterday.

I'll post back once I get this all working or give up trying and also if I give your patched boot loader a try.