Any way to fix a failed update?

Gatorfreak

4 posts in this topic

Hoping someone can help me out here. I had everything running great for a while with 10.5.2. My wife mistakenly clicked 'ok' to install updates. Now OSX says to reboot with the grayed out screen when it boots up. I imagine it tried to install the latest 10.5.x update, would've been 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 at the time. I've been to busy to mess with it for a while. Any ideas? Maybe boot with the leopard disc and modify or replace some files? My setup is in my signature.

I really don't want to reinstall the OS all over again. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks!

Unfortunately if you wife tried to update from 10.5.2 to the latest with software update, I think there is not hope to save it :) Just take your time when you are less busy to install again and tried to read the tutorials in how to update to the latest Leopard update.

You can reinstall over your current install. Only thing is, your old User will no longer have admin rights.

So you must just enable root user with the install DVD, log in as root and give yourself admin rights again.

I tried installing over the existing OS X install but didn't get anywhere. It kept dying with some message about journal start/end pointers reset. So I formatted and reinstalled (it worked before so it should work again).

Using -v -x -f boot option, I'm seeing that it's having issues with the other drives in there...saying it's getting "new UUID" for those drives. Says something about "journal replay". Hangs trying to get a new UUID for another drive.

Ideas? Should I go to Disk Utility and try to repair those disks or unmount them? They don't have OS X on them. They're just file storage.