My System Specs:

Motherboard: MSI P43 Neo3-F

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.5ghz

RAM: Corsair 4GB XMS2 1066mhz

HDD: Western Digital 500 GB SATA

Video Card: XFX nVidia 9600 GT 512 MB

Optical Drive: IDE DVD/CD drive

Introduction

There are 2 ways to go about this retail installation. If you've already installed a modded distro of OS X, continue reading this guide. If not, then you must obtain a boot-132 CD and place the attached kexts (below) into your initrd.img. There is a lot of info on how to create a boot-132 CD on this forum, and I suggest reading as much as you can before attempting the install.

Installation v1

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yvjvwb

The kexts included with this post are meant for the MSI P43 Neo3-F motherboard only! Use of these kexts with any other motherboard, even with the same chipset may not result in a 100% functional install. However, with these kexts, the P43 will function 100% properly, including sound. I have not included an ethernet kext because I have a functional wireless card.

1) Download the attached folder (above). Save it to desktop.

2) Open Disk Utility and create a new partition, or format a new drive, with name XXX. (You can change XXX to any name, as long as it has no spaces)

3) Mount your retail Leopard DVD.

4) Open up terminal and type

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

(enter)

open OSInstall.mpkg

5) Install to destination drive XXX

6) Download 10.5.6 combo update if your DVD is not 10.5.6

link:

http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3...Combo10.5.6.dmg

Install update to destination drive XXX

7) Go to the downloaded folder and open post-patch.sh Edit the variables to your liking. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE INTELCPUPOWERMANAGEMENT.KEXT IF YOU DO NOT INSTALL DISABLER.KEXT, AND VICE VERSA.

8) Go back to terminal and type

sudo -s

(enter)

(type in your user password)

(enter)

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/YYY (YYY=the drive or partition you are using right now, NOT the destination drive)

(enter)

cd /users/yourusernamehere/desktop/MSI_P43_Neo3-F_Retail

(enter)

./post-patch.sh

(enter)

(wait until it says that the disk has been verified/repaired)

exit

(enter)

exit

(enter)

9) Go to the downloaded folder once again. Go to EFI_v9 and install EFI to destination drive XXX

10) Go to extra folder to run DSDT patch. Check Force Compile, change it to destination drive XXX, and check "apply patch to"

11) Reboot into new partition/drive. Voila! A perfect retail install.

12) I lied. Ethernet does not work. To fix that, go to the extra folder and run OSxtools... Go to the download hardware drivers and download the ethernet kext.

13) Inside your new install, drag the AppleHDAPatcher from the Extra folder onto the dock. Then drag the codec dump into the icon. enter your password and press enter.

14) Do any additional patches you may need.

UPDATE: The included UInstaller renders the shell USELESS! UInstaller is basically a program you can run from an existing OSX install, to install kexts, EFI strings, edit plists, and more. USE UINSTALLER IF YOU HAVE AN AVAILABLE INSTALL. IT IS LOCATED IN THE EXTRAS FOLDER. IF USING UINSTALLER, SKIP STEPS 7-8. STEPS 9-12 CAN ALSO BE DONE WITHIN UINSTALLER. IN UINSTALLER, SELECT ALL OF THE KEXTS IN THE KEXT FOLDER EXCEPT HDAENABLER. THE INCLUSION OF HDAENABLER CAUSES A KERNEL PANIC AT SHUTDOWN. IF ALREADY INSTALLED, REMOVE THAT KEXT FROM THE EXTENSIONS FOLDER. Only use the shell patch if you must run the patch through an install CD.

AFTER ANY OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATE YOU APPLY TO THE RETAIL INSTALL, YOU MUST INSTALL THE KEXTS AGAIN, EITHER THROUGH THE SHELL OR UINSTALLER. DSDT PATCH WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED, AS WILL COM.APPLE.BOOT.PLIST.

PLEASE POST ANY COM(PLI)MENTS, QUESTIONS, AND TIPS BELOW. OR PM ME.

12) I lied. Ethernet does not work. To fix that, go to the extra folder and run OSxtools... Go to the download hardware drivers and download the ethernet kext.

since the P43-Neo (without the -f) has no wlan i suggest downloading the Realtek driver for the RTL8111/8168B here: http://osx86driverdb.co.nr/RTGMac2.zip and saving it on a USB-stick first. the board also has no firewire but that's another story.

# only remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement if you do not install Disabler.kext

# sudo rm -r /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

# Only install if you did not remove IntelCPUPowerManagement from last section.

# sudo cp -r kext/Disabler.kext /Volumes/$DESTINATION/System/Library/Extensions/

this makes no sense to me. i tried the script before reading it exactly (i only edited my destination directory) and it messed up my installation to the point where i could not reboot even in save mode or from the cd.

anyway, finally i got iPC running after deleting AppleSMC.kext and tweaking my VGA to the point where it works with NVDarwin in 1920x1200 resolution but the system profiler says quartz is not supported.

i also tried your alc888 driver among a lot of others without success.

i still got some errors and a very long boot time - once i fixed that somehow but cannot remember how exactly...

can someone send me a list of all included extensions (ls -l > kextlist.txt) of a 100% working P43-system? ty iStep

Hmm... the script worked for me. I'm going to check it over.

As for the IntelCPUPowerManagement, and Disabler kexts, there are 2 options.

1) You remove the IntelCPUPowerManagement and don't install the Disabler kext.

or

2) Do not remove the IntelCPUPowerManagement and install the Disabler kext.

Next up, ALC888

Find these kexts in the attached folder.

2x LegacyHDA... (legacyHDA something... there are only two of these)

1x m50SVALC888...

Those are the required kexts for ALC888 support.

After installation of those two, you MUST patch AppleHDA using the included codecdump_1. I have included a generic ALC888 codec dump if you do not have the exact same motherboard as me.

UPDATE: the sh script has problems... I'm not sure what, but I'll try to fix it once I get home. It has something to do with the verify and repair permissions. For now, the easiest way to install the kexts is through UInstaller.

too bad, the neo and neo3-f have different soundchip versions:

Subsystem Id: 0x14627519 (Neo)

Subsystem Id: 0x14627514 (Neo3-f)

there is a little difference regarding the inputs so your driver wont work. i will give alcinject.kext a try next...

i fixed my long boot time by setting the IOProbeScores to 0 in NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman, fixed my EFI also and tried nvdarwin, nvinject and without any injector, but QE wont work, at least QGL does. how did you guys made QE work with your 9xxx nvidias?

but the big question is: does anyone have 2 or 4 cpu cores running on the P43/ICH10 without flashing the BIOS?

my profiler says:

Processor Speed: 3.17 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

speed is ok because i overclocked the E7200 to 350MHz fsb, but it has 2 cores and just 3mb 2nd level cache. 6mb would be nice... but since AppleIntelCPUPowerMagagement must be disabled because of the lacking MSI-BIOS we cant get rid of cpus=1 and this messy behaviour. i'd prefer a OOB solution without flashing the BIOS but i will try modding the BIOS if there is no other way to fix that problem.

What I did to get my 9800GT was I had to use the NVKush kext found on the iPC DVD. I tried and tried to use the EFI strings but I could never get it to work.

As far as the dual core, I had to use the cpus =1 flag until I applied the DSDT patch. Once I had applied the patch, check ######.com for the patcher, then I was able to use both cores.

• 3 months later...
can anyone make a Boot-132 disk?

thanks!

I too have wanted a boot-132 disk to use with my system, Maybe I will have to break down and try it myself.

What kexts do you guys think we will need to add to this Boot-132 disk?

I think that by default we need to have:

SMBIOSEnabler.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

dsmos.kext

IOACPIFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IOPCMCIAFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Can you guys think of any other kexts that we would need, or any of these that we will not need? I have not included any of the SATA kexts due to the fact that 10.5.7 is suppose to have native support. As for Video I would love to be able to use the EFI Strings but will probably use Netkas new Video Enabled kext, if it works. As for Audio, does anyone know if the new(ish) VooDooHDA will work?

Also have any of you noticed any difference with the new 1.8 BIOS update? I think that there were some chipset upgrades in 1.7 but I haven't done any modifications of my OS X since getting it to work.

I followed the guide step by step and I can't get it to boot at all. Does this actually just add to the kexts that are on whatever installation you are running already and then throw them onto the newly created partition? Because the installation I have right now will not boot from the HD directly. I always have to use the iDeneb 1.4 or 1.3 discs and then use rd=disk0s3 to make it boot. After following this guide, I thought this might have been corrected, but instead I get a kernel panic anytime I try to boot off of the new partition - this is when calling to it from the CD or booting from it directly.

Any ideas?

I'm running the neo-3f with a Q8800... I've tried the cpus=1 with no luck. Only way I can get OS X to boot is by launching the iDeneb 1.4 DVD and calling to the partition.

Edit: I successfully got iPC PPF5 to install, I got it to boot from the HD once and it even installed the drivers for my 9800GTX which were fairly functional. Only problem was the ethernet wasn't working. I installed the network kexts and got a kernel panic relating to AppleIntelCPUPowerManageent. I've tried removing the ethernet kext that I installed but it still gives me the same panic anytime I try to boot from the HD. I'm back where I started... so frustrating.

Which checkboxes are you guys hitting on customize on the iPC DVD to install? or another distro? I am about to give up on this board altogether....

Sorry guys! I haven't been as active on this forum as I was before... I recently installed Windows 7 and it's amazing...

well back on topic, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.7 yet because I wiped my HDD for Win7 so I don't know about how the new kexts fit in...

anyways, macsiv, I did not install the ethernet kexts at all because I have a network card that was, surprisingly, default compatible with leopard...

I have a list of kexts needed for a working system... mainly the ones I posted in the installation package, but more minimal... I'll post it up someitme later.

Sorry guys! I haven't been as active on this forum as I was before... I recently installed Windows 7 and it's amazing...

well back on topic, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.7 yet because I wiped my HDD for Win7 so I don't know about how the new kexts fit in...

anyways, macsiv, I did not install the ethernet kexts at all because I have a network card that was, surprisingly, default compatible with leopard...

I have a list of kexts needed for a working system... mainly the ones I posted in the installation package, but more minimal... I'll post it up someitme later.

Thanks, I'll be much appreciative :)

BTW, In the previous post I meant give up on the motherboard not the message board. I realized it sounded bad afterwards.

I'm giving up until I get a new board or some new ideas. I've invested over 26 hours into this project. I know it's creepy... but, hey I learned a lot about OS X in the process and that was really my purpose.

I've tried iPC, iDeneb, iAtkos and boot132 installations.

iDeneb doesn't work because it doesn't have the ACPI Fix so it stops with the "headers xxxx" error.

iAtkos installer won't even load no matter what I flag in the bootloader.

iPC loads with cpus=1 but any installation it create will always kernel panic shortly after the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads.

boot132 following the post above panics before anything loads.

At one point, I got iPC to boot but ONLY when using -F flag every time. Why this is the case I honestly don't know. It was working though, even had my 9800GTX functioning. Only thing left was the ethernet.

I can't reproduce my results with iPC anymore, I tried over and over but it just gives me the CPUPowerManagement error no matter what fix I try. I've tried removing both the disabler and the power mgmt... i've tried 2 alternative disablers. No matter what I do, same error with iPC installation. can boot from CD and access the installation that way but that doesn't give me any decent video, save preferences, access the internet or do much else for that matter.

If anyone knows anything, please give a shout.

Here are my specs:

neo3-f

q8200

4gb

sata HD for OSX HFS+ Journaled (2 partitions)

IDE HD for Vista

USB HD external w/ 2 partitions NTFS and FAT32

(all of these are detected in OSX and function properly)

Sata CD/DVD

9800GTX+ 512 DDR3

I can't think of anything else you might need, but if you do, please ask.

If anyone has any idea why iPC installations panic right after AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loads, please let me know. Again, I already tried combining with different disablers, and I've also tried removing it altogether, and for some reason, same issue even with it removed.... w....t....f... :D

OR if someone just has a better distro that works for this board, :( even better.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey,

sorry but i need a audio kext.

msi P43 neo. the neo-f kext dont work!

big thx!

You will need to use the Apple HDA patcher with the codec dump found in my sig. I did not create the dump but found that it would at least get me 2 channel out.

Also if you feel adventures you can try out the VooDoo HDA to see how it works. I have been tempted to try it out, but I just dont want to break anything. Maybe now that there is a new release of ThinkBoot I can dust off my test drive to see if I can get it to work.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i have tried all distros (from 10.5.1 Leopard to snow leo hackintosh versions) but finally solved that problem and find absof.kinlotuley working distro,, it's iatkos 10.5.7 v7i,,,

My specs are:

msi p45 neo-f mobo ich10 and jmicron

500gb sata2 disk samsung

zotac gtx 260 896mb 448bit gddr3 vga (pci-e)

2x2gb hyperx ddr2 800Mhz ram (totaly 4GB)

core2quad 2.66 q8400 intel cpu

22 LCD samsung

keyboard+mouse R wireless set...

and the other hardwares gone worked...

My personal choose with my PC;

Chameleon 1.0

DSDT

dsmos

9.5.0 Kernel VooDoo

Disabler

ACPI Driver

Throttling Control (chose or not,it's working both of way)

Apple SMBIOS 27 REv. 6 MacBook

Intel SATA/IDE chipset

RTL1000 (realtek 8169 ethernet)

natit (from nvidia enablers) and GT200 driver (from nvidia) [u must choose 2 enbalers or not working original display]

and VooDoo HDA audio driver for my HD AUdio ALC888...

and boot screen command "-v cpus=1" and it's working... 100% in this config.

But 10.5.8 update not installing, if itS installed,called kernel panic... i mean no software update...

Sorry for my grammer, can anyone not installed yet,try my install method...

:P

• 4 weeks later...
i have tried all distros (from 10.5.1 Leopard to snow leo hackintosh versions) but finally solved that problem and find absof.kinlotuley working distro,, it's iatkos 10.5.7 v7i,,,

My specs are:

msi p45 neo-f mobo ich10 and jmicron

500gb sata2 disk samsung

zotac gtx 260 896mb 448bit gddr3 vga (pci-e)

2x2gb hyperx ddr2 800Mhz ram (totaly 4GB)

core2quad 2.66 q8400 intel cpu

22 LCD samsung

keyboard+mouse R wireless set...

and the other hardwares gone worked...

My personal choose with my PC;

Chameleon 1.0

DSDT

dsmos

9.5.0 Kernel VooDoo

Disabler

ACPI Driver

Throttling Control (chose or not,it's working both of way)

Apple SMBIOS 27 REv. 6 MacBook

Intel SATA/IDE chipset

RTL1000 (realtek 8169 ethernet)

natit (from nvidia enablers) and GT200 driver (from nvidia) [u must choose 2 enbalers or not working original display]

and VooDoo HDA audio driver for my HD AUdio ALC888...

and boot screen command "-v cpus=1" and it's working... 100% in this config.

But 10.5.8 update not installing, if itS installed,called kernel panic... i mean no software update...

Sorry for my grammer, can anyone not installed yet,try my install method...

:(

The latest chameleon revision has an update that allows for automatic detection and installation of EFI strings for nVidia graphics cards. You might want to check it out.