10a261 compatibility with Unibody macbook pros

Mark2k

9 posts in this topic

Previous builds of SL have had trouble with the unibody keyboards. Has this issue been fixed in the latest build? Also, any idea how stable this build is? I was thinking of making this my main OS on my incoming new machine.

I wouldn't do that yet. There's no reason to make it you main OS. It's still got lots of bugs. Rather dual-boot with Leopard.

I'm not sure how compatible it is with the new Macbooks, sorry.

Well, I wouldn't even try it if its not yet working with the unibodies. I don't even own an external keyboard.

I have a unibody MacBook (same system as the Pro, cept for the GeForce 9600 =P) and 9A261 worked on it, with no keyboard problems.

But stay away for now, it's unstable as all hell.

Really? Its that bad? I was a beta tester for windows 95 and it was pretty darn stable for daily uses, even a beta one. And that was brand new tech. SL is just an update. Odd that it would be that bad.

Here is why it is "that bad"...

The kernel has underwent a significant re-design to become 64-bit, to add OpenCL and to add GrandCentral.

While Apple is calling it an optimization release, they mean exactly that...

Everything that can be optimized is being optimized.

Your installation size is going from nearly 6GB down to 2.2GB when comparing Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Many applications are 1/10th the size that they are under Leopard...

Memory requirements are also down significantly for these optimized applications.

Unfortunately, when you are taking a hatchet to your code, it is easy to introduce some major show stopping bugs that ultimately require much more new code to be written.

Think of Show Leopard as a "let's forget about PPCs re-do Leopard with everything that we know now" release.

~Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say I've experienced a lot of the instability people are referring to here. I've been running a261 for about two weeks now and the only problem I've had is the Finder freaking out and skyrocketing to 100% CPU usage. That was simply fixed by relaunching the Finder though. Other than that I have yet to have a kernel panic and am quite impressed with the improvement in system performance from 10.5.6.