Twin HacPros!

Wiretap

6 posts in this topic

6 months ago, a G5 tower at work packed up irreversably (logic board fault), I claimed the case, and turned it into a 'PCG5' as seen in the main thread.

We recently had another machine pack up irreversably at work, so out came the guts, and home came the case. A friend of mine had just built a new machine in a micro-atx case and it was too noisy and hot for his liking.

So over a matter of a weekend we build it into another PCG5. Its not quite finished (still some aluminium fabrication to take place)

I decided to re-do my backpanel at the same time as I built his, my first build was a hell of a hackjob and just looked downright ugly.

Specs of the two machines:

Mine:

Hardware:

- Asus P5Q-VM Mainboard

- Intel E7300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.66GHz

- 4GB Transcend DDR2-800

- Palit Radeon HD4850 512MB GDDR3

- Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 460w PSU in apple PSU case

Storage:

- Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA (OSX)

- Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA (Win7)

- Stock Sony DVD-RW drive

Cooling:

- 2 Coolermaster 120mm clear front fans

- 2 no-name brand 92mm rear fans

- 2 Stock 'SuperRed' 60mm PSU fans

- Apple Stock HDD fan

- Coolermaster Hyper212 CPU Cooler

- Scythe Musashi VGA cooler (one fan removed to clear SATA cables)

- Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller

His:

Hardware:

- Asus P5Q-VM Mainboard

- Intel E7400 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.80GHz

- 4GB G-Skill DDR2-800

- Asus Radeon HD4670 512MB GDDR3

- Hyena 430w PSU in apple PSU case

Storage:

- WDC Caviar 500GB SATA

- Asus SATA Lightscribe DVD-RAM

Cooling:

- 2 Thermaltake 120mm clear front fans

- 2 Stock 'SuperRed' 60mm PSU fans

- Apple Stock HDD fan

- Coolermaster Hyper212 CPU Cooler

- Rheobus 3-channel fan controller

The similarities dont end in the specs.

My machine is on the right in photo one, and the left in photo two

FrontView.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

EDIT: Huge images due to the dissallowance of dynamic pages (I use a resizing script)

In the above pics I still have my old HD2600XT in there, the HD4850 is new today ;)

The backplate is a fairly simple design, I may create a template and publish it, but i'd like to get it tidied up a bit first.

The machines run incredibly cool, and are quieter than the original G5 that came out. The whole purpose behind me using this case was that it be cool, and quiet, since I sleep with my computer on always, this goal has definitely been achieved.

Man, these look great. A few questions...

Did you all do the metal fabrication yourself?

The back panel is the best non-original I've seen, was it from another case or custom?

There seems to be a controller device with knobs, is that meant to control fan speeds?

Thanks,

-Stell

The backpanel is self-designed, cut from 0.5mm aluminium with scissors, bent by hand using the edges of the case door as the sharp edge to bend against.

the units behind the front fans in both cases is the fan controller, yes. Zalman ZM-MFC2 in my case, Coolermaster rheobus unit in my friend's

I should also mention that the red light in the front of mine is the HDD LED, it is mounted in the bottom corner of the front fan, pointing diagonally up through the fan itself.

• 5 weeks later...