Leopard 10.5.5(iATKOS 5i) Dell OptiPlex GX270

Dark$ide

40 posts in this topic

I also get stuck with the spinning apple thing or when I got verbose mode I get a panic signal.

I was able to install leo4all 10.5.2 with no issues, would there be any other reason that I couldnt install the newer version considering leo4all went fine.

I am not using onboard video but is there anything else I could change in the bios to fix the issue??

1. upgrade your bios to the latest revision.

2. make sure you have the onboard video option on the bios switched to disable.

3. make sure you have a sse3 capable processor

• 4 weeks later...
8300T: I heard that the onboard DOES work. People just need to upgrade the ram in bios from 1meg to 8meg.

Sorry, no. The 845 Video Chipset does not play well. GMA 900 and 950 yes.

Anyways, why would you use such a slow graphics engine? :)

Save some milk money and buy any Nvidia PCI card (fx5600 or better) and have much faster, better graphics with QE & CI enabled. They are so cheap on ebay. :(

Do it right, do it once. ;)

Sorry, no. The 845 Video Chipset does not play well. GMA 900 and 950 yes.

Anyways, why would you use such a slow graphics engine? :blowup:

Save some milk money and buy any Nvidia PCI card (fx5600 or better) and have much faster, better graphics with QE & CI enabled. They are so cheap on ebay. :(

Do it right, do it once. :yoji:

I agree of course but there are others who are content with built in. I have a cheapy fx5200 for now. Waiting to get a 7600gs.

How fast is Snow Leopard on the Dell anyway? I just want to learn OSX and maybe run their iLife program.

I agree of course but there are others who are content with built in. I have a cheapy fx5200 for now. Waiting to get a 7600gs.

How fast is Snow Leopard on the Dell anyway? I just want to learn OSX and maybe run their iLife program.

The 5200 is good enough to start. It is the lowest card that can do quartz extreme and core image.

Use Titan kext.

Not a huge difference with snow, plus there are no socket 478 processors that I know of off hand that are em64t capable.

try 10.5.5. for now, Then download iatkos v7, and do the software update to 10.5.8.

• 11 months later...

i also have an OptiPlex GX270

P4 3.2 GHz HT

1GB RAM

74 GB IDE HDD

Sony DVD RW drive

ATI Radeon 2400 HD AGP video card

would i be able to get Leopard 10.5.8 installed on my system without any quirks?

meaning can i still get that 1080p resolution, have sound, ethernet, and such still working normally?

right now i got Windows XP SP3 installed and it runs fine but the OS seems so dated and im lacking all the Mac apps i like using. tried using Linux Mint but the thing doesnt seem to detect the video card. so i end up with no display. so ive come here to see if i can in fact have Leopard or maybe Snow Leopard installed on this Dell.

Yes you can go up to 10.5.8

Use this guide: http://www.jonasulrich.com/2010/12/08/dell...-install-guide/

And a good way to update to 10.5.8 is here: http://www.jonasulrich.com/2010/12/14/easy...-update-method/

I used a different video card than the one that you have, so I can not say how compatible it is.

i also have an OptiPlex GX270

P4 3.2 GHz HT

1GB RAM

74 GB IDE HDD

Sony DVD RW drive

ATI Radeon 2400 HD AGP video card

would i be able to get Leopard 10.5.8 installed on my system without any quirks?

meaning can i still get that 1080p resolution, have sound, ethernet, and such still working normally?

right now i got Windows XP SP3 installed and it runs fine but the OS seems so dated and im lacking all the Mac apps i like using. tried using Linux Mint but the thing doesnt seem to detect the video card. so i end up with no display. so ive come here to see if i can in fact have Leopard or maybe Snow Leopard installed on this Dell.

Yes you can go up to 10.5.8

Use this guide: http://www.jonasulrich.com/2010/12/08/dell...-install-guide/

And a good way to update to 10.5.8 is here: http://www.jonasulrich.com/2010/12/14/easy...-update-method/

I used a different video card than the one that you have, so I can not say how compatible it is.

oh. thats great to hear.

would you say the performance of Leopard on the system is faster than WindowsXP??

ill try to follow that guide. the upgrading to 10.5.8 is what seemed confusing though.

yea the video card is what had me worried if it wouldn't work properly with OS X.

is there a guide to go along with how i can dual boot? in case this doesnt work, i would like to still have WinXP on the drive so the PC wont end up useless.

oh. thats great to hear.

would you say the performance of Leopard on the system is faster than WindowsXP??

ill try to follow that guide. the upgrading to 10.5.8 is what seemed confusing though.

yea the video card is what had me worried if it wouldn't work properly with OS X.

I don't have anything quantitative to prove that Leopard runs faster. It does seem like it to me, but then I hardly ever use Windows.

That upgrade method is very simple. I used it here, here and here. If you already have a functioning hackintosh than you might want to try this method.

I don't have anything quantitative to prove that Leopard runs faster. It does seem like it to me, but then I hardly ever use Windows.

That upgrade method is very simple. I used it here, here and here. If you already have a functioning hackintosh than you might want to try this method.

thats fine. i just wanted some kind of hint if it was slower than WinXP.

oh ok. yea in those topics it seems like a much simpler method than needing 2 PCs to accomplish an update.

i do have an old Dell Dimension 4400 as well but i dont have a video card for it. i ran Tiger on it a few years back, wasnt very solid in performance .i see you installed this same disc onto it. maybe ill experiment with it again soon.

well i tried installing it following the instructions on that blog you linked.

some stuff was missing on the disk that was listed as being checked :

ACPI Fix

UUID Error Fix

RemoveApple Intel CPUPower Manager

Remove Disabler.kext

not sure why they werent shown. i did find my video card listed in the video drivers.

after the install, when it reboots i get stuck at the grey boot screen and theres what looks like a parking sign on top of the grey apple logo,

not sure what went wrong. but i cant seem to get past it.

well i tried installing it following the instructions on that blog you linked.

some stuff was missing on the disk that was listed as being checked :

ACPI Fix

UUID Error Fix

RemoveApple Intel CPUPower Manager

Remove Disabler.kext

not sure why they werent shown. i did find my video card listed in the video drivers.

after the install, when it reboots i get stuck at the grey boot screen and theres what looks like a parking sign on top of the grey apple logo,

not sure what went wrong. but i cant seem to get past it.

I took a second look, this thread uses iAtkos. Everything I have been talking about uses iPC. Use iPC and the attached file should help you find all the kexts to install.

post-452045-1315782868_thumb.png

I took a second look, this thread uses iAtkos. Everything I have been talking about uses iPC. Use iPC and the attached file should help you find all the kexts to install.

i used iPC 10.5.6 and like i said a lot of whats in that pic is not on the disc. not sure if thats why i was having issues, but i looked the thing up and down and those entries are missing from the selection.

i later tried iAtkos_5i and followed the instructions on the first post, and still i had no luck. the system would boot and give me a kernal panic every time.

• 1 year later...

I got mine working, only thing I am having trouble with at the moment is connecting to the internet, says there is no cable or dsl modem connected, and everything is hooked up cause i dual boot with windows 7 and i can get online with windows 7. Any ideas. I am new at this hackintosh stuff.