Leopard 10.5.5(iATKOS 5i) Dell OptiPlex GX270

Dark$ide

40 posts in this topic

Could not find any descent instructions on how to do this so after 2 days of downloading and trying here is what finally worked for others that might be thinking of doing this :

HARDWARE :

Dell GX270

P4 2.4GHZ HT Enabled SSE3

1GB DDR Ram

120GB SATA HDD

LG DVD Burner (Dell DVD Rom would not read Disks Properly Kept giving BIOS READ errors)

INSTALL :

1 - Download iATKOS_5i.iso

2 - Burn using DVD Decrypter at 1X Speed (I used version 3.5.4.0 http:\\www.dvddecrypter.com)

3 - Update BISO to version A07(available at Dells website)

4 - In BIOS set Power Management\Suspend Mode to S3

5 - Boot from CD

6 - System will stop in command prompt asking for user input wait 7sec and boot up will continue on its own

7 - System will sit on the grey apple loading screen with spinning gear for a while

8 - Prompt to click the button to continue will appear. Click the Blue Button on lower right hand side of window

9 - Welcome screen will appear. Go to the Utilities menu at the top and press Disk Utility.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING STEPS WILL ERASE ALL DATA FROM WHICHEVER HARD

DRIVE IS SELECTED.

10 - Right Click on the drive you wish to Install OSX on and choose Partition

11 - From Volume Scheme Drop down box choose "1 Partition". Give it a name. Leave Format on "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Press "Options" Button on bottom of window and select "Master Boot Record". Click "OK" than Click "Apply" finally Click "Partition". When finished Close Partition Window than close Disk Utility Window

12 - Now back at Welcome Screen Click "Continue" than "Agree"

13 - Select a Destination (the hard Drive you Partitioned in the previous step) click continue

14 - Install Summary Click "Customize" Select the following:

Bootloader

PC EFI V9

Patches

Decrypters

AppleDecrypt

SMBIOS drivers

SMBIOS' for X86\AppleSMBIOS netkas

Kernel

9.5.0 voodoo

ACPI

APIC drivers

Disabler.kext

Remove PowerManagement.kext

Remove Thermal kexts

OHR

Drivers

System\SATA/IDE\Intel SATA

Network\Intel Pro/100 VE

Click on "Done"

15 - Click "INSTALL"

16 - If you are confident in your DVD you may Skip the DVD Check by pressing "Skip"

INSTALL WILL TAKE ABOUT 20 MIN

17 - Reboot System and Removed Install CD

18 – ENjoy

Boots No Problem Sound\Network working fine.

Let me know if this helps.

what actually are you trying to know.... youve written the whole process your self...

if you are looking to install iatkos on your pc...then you should follow the same process... and then tell what happens...hopefully it will work this way...

It works perfectly I put this up here so others don't have to go through all the troubles i went through

• 5 months later...
It works perfectly I put this up here so others don't have to go through all the troubles i went through

I'll second that. Works perfectly - even sleeps.

I will my .02 here and suggest one should invest in a Nvidia 5200 or better video card (PCI or half height AGP). Forget about the onboard.

• 6 months later...

I'm not using an onboard card... but i'm not sure what it is. I'll check on that. What is verbose mode? is that starting it up with the "-v" option?

I've tried with a ton of variances in the customizations during the install and every time i either wind up booting up to the apple logo with a spinning gear that sits there endlessly, or I get the panic screen. I hope it's just a video card issue, i'll throw in a card from another machine and be off to the races. Hopefully!

Looks like I'm using an nVidia card currently. The printing on the card says "Model P117." Has DVI and SVideo out only.

I'm assuming this came from the factory this way (which is weird, since there's still an onboard vga port) as this is my girlfriend's computer and she doesn't remember a new card ever being put in. Judging from the incredible dust bunnies I vac'ed out of the case before I started this whole process, I doubt anyone had ever been inside the machine, period.

That is an early GeForce MX440 - it is not supported. In Linux - yes. Mac OS - no.

Two things:

In the video configuration select TITAN and nothing else

Get a Geforce 5200 or better card and run that.

It will work smoothly then..

Oh yes, make sure you disable the onboard video in the bios.

Killer, found an FX5500 in the attic. I'll go try that.

Will it matter/make a difference if I'm running an IDE hd instead of a SATA drive? Installer recognizes it just fine and always completes successfully so I wouldn't think it'd be an issue, but hell, the video card works fine in the installer too so you never know :(

Alright, so step one is figuring out how to make the computer mount CDs. I'm not using the stock dell drive anymore... but it won't load CDs. I'm assuming there's some driver I need to install somewhere... Here's to hoping my flash drive will work.

aaaand..... nope. No flash drive.

So how do I get drivers installed on this machine? Do I need to reinstall OSX with more {censored} selected than what was listed in the OP of this thread?

{censored}. I definitely don't have any extra sata drives floating around. I'm trying as hard as possible to make this whole project happen for $0. Is there any way to configure IDE cables and jumpers to get the DVD Rom up and running?

Also, what's the deal with my flash drive not working? An iPod in disk mode mounts beautifully.

Nope..you gotta run sata. Drives are cheap.just buy a good used one along with the data cable and power cable molex adapter..In bios you got to enable usb legacy. You also have to use a usb keyboard and mouse and disable ps2 and parallel ports also in your bios for best results. I think seatbelt.kext has to be also installed (if memory serves me correctly). You also should install NTFS-3G as well..

• 2 months later...
Nope..you gotta run sata. Drives are cheap.just buy a good used one along with the data cable and power cable molex adapter..In bios you got to enable usb legacy. You also have to use a usb keyboard and mouse and disable ps2 and parallel ports also in your bios for best results. I think seatbelt.kext has to be also installed (if memory serves me correctly). You also should install NTFS-3G as well..

Great post but im having am issue with this guide/setup.

I followed all the instructions and the osx works perfect, the only think is that when i restart the computer is doesnt load OSX the hard drive that contains osx is not even in my boot sequence in the BIOS but if i acceess the boot menu its there as "Primary something" and if i select it then it allows me to go into osx but it never does so automatically.

Also how can i get a better resolution going?

Thanks you!

it shows as primary master drive when i press f12 on boot. BTW its an IDE disk

Use Sata only. Disable in bios primary ide, and enable primary sata.

Make sure you partition it as MBR, HFS+ journaled.

• 2 weeks later...

i am trying to install iatkos onto the dell gx270 everything seems to be loading olkay the only problem i have is when i try to install iatkos the display i can see some parts but the screen is pixilated is the best way i can describe it and in black and white and you cannot understand a thing that the text is saying how can i get the display working properly i dont want to use another vga card becuase i dont currently own one ASAP Reply

i am trying to install iatkos onto the dell gx270 everything seems to be loading olkay the only problem i have is when i try to install iatkos the display i can see some parts but the screen is pixilated is the best way i can describe it and in black and white and you cannot understand a thing that the text is saying how can i get the display working properly i dont want to use another vga card becuase i dont currently own one ASAP Reply

You can't use the onboard video. Final - it will NEVER work.

Face the music - go on ebay and get a Nvidia 5200/5500/5600/6200. You really want Core Image to get full hardware acceleration.. AGP are plentiful. If you have the SFF of the GX270, you'll need either a short height AGP, or a regular height PCI version of that card (installed in the PCI expansion holder). If you have the tower, it's easy.

In the installer - you select TITAN or Natit.

This is one of the easiest machines to load the mac os.

You better make sure your processor supports SSE3 instruction set..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I also get stuck with the spinning apple thing or when I got verbose mode I get a panic signal.

I was able to install leo4all 10.5.2 with no issues, would there be any other reason that I couldnt install the newer version considering leo4all went fine.

I am not using onboard video but is there anything else I could change in the bios to fix the issue??