Is triple boot possible on same hdd?

13 posts in this topic

I want to triple boot XxX x86 universal final, with xp pro, and vista 64bit sp1

I tried partition magic, acronis disk director, xp pro partition from installer, and osx86 disk util, I cant figure it out.

Any help would be HUGE!!

First boot your Leo install disc

then before installing jump to the Disk utility that is available at the top menu bar in the installer...(file, edit...)

select your disk,,,then select partition...then select 3 partitions...make 1 for osx (HFS journaled) make 1 for a future Vista install (Fat32) and format the 3rd partition as (fat32 for later linux mods)...then apply

then continue your osx install on your HFS Journaled partiton..

After it is finished and booting well after restart....then boot with your vista disk and install vista to one of the fat32 partitions.

After Vista installs you will only boot Vista...until you install Acronis OS selector...it is an included app in the Acronis disk director suite.

after installing OS selector and activating it in Vista ...the next time you reboot you will get a menu that lets you select which partition to boot...

its simple

later you can put linux on the other fat32 partition and the boot manager will see it.

After you get everything perfect as you like it you make a clone imagge of the entire drive and partitions with your new Acronis Truimage software that was included in the suite.

Thanksall! :D

ERRRR, I did exacly what u said, in that order to, and the stupid os selector wont find all 3 os, it onlky shows mac an xp, and i even put then all to active, whats going on????

forget abt acronis, i faced the same problems with it... i would recommend u to use EasyBCD (google it) as i am using to triple boot xp open suse and osx86... and its a very easy program to use...

install it righ away on ur vista... open it... go to add remove entries... u will find vista already there... what u will have to do is add and entry for xp, and another one for osx86... and then enjoy ur triple boot...

ozeinab87, would there be any problem if I format my future Vista partition using NTFS instead of FAT32, if it's available?

body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } not at all my friend, there will be no problems at all, so u can go on and do it whenever u feel like, in fact, my windows partition is in ntfs format!

Goodluck!

OZ

Vista can't be installed on Fat32 anyway... so that won't be an issue.

body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } If I were u, i would take back my words... Well, normally u cannot install Vista on a Fat32 HD, however there are ways for doing so, so it is possible :smoke:

body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } If I were u, i would take back my words... Well, normally u cannot install Vista on a Fat32 HD, however there are ways for doing so, so it is possible ;)

install leo with guid format in 4 patitions 1 hps 2 fat 3 fat 4 fat for swap once leos installed and working install vista format the second patition in format ntfs once vistas installed leos boot loader doesnt work dont worry and then install uduntu in third partition in ext3 and use the swap partition witch is the forth witch is equal to your memory +1 EX 4 gig of mem = 4.1 of swap all in guid dont forget then once ubuntu installed u should have working dual boot vista and ubuntu then boot into ubuntu and add entry to grub go to newlinuxuser.com for all details i got a triple boot in guid leo vista and ubuntu on a portibable hd

I like my 4th part to be Storage NTFS. Writable from all 3 OSes. Here's how:

Boot Leo or SnoLeo Retail (or your favorite distro I guess, but I'm a purist) from BOOT-132, install to 2nd part as HFS+ Journaled. (not Journaled has Linux read/write access, but too risky/slow if PC crashes) All the other parts must be FAT/MSDOS. (for SnoLeo you'll need a special bootloader from the IRC channels, but 64-bit kernel and kexts should work)

Once you reboot, install EFIV9 with the "one click installer."

Next boot your Ubuntu DVD, in my case I used a Jaunty alpha and installed ext4 partition, no swap, since 4th partition must be for storage. Swap file has equal performance. Google it. Note that even if you set up Ubuntu on a partition that was formerly HFS+, (GUID) it will be migrated to MBR-land, so yes all 4 partitions are needed. Extended partitions can't be used with GUID anywhere on the disk, and Vista can't see past the 4th partition for storage anyway. I've tried all this; it took me about 2 weeks last summer.

Make sure you install your bootloader to the partition, not the disk.

You probably won't be able to boot anything at this point; don't worry, your OSes are still there!

Boot your VistaSP1/Win7b7048 DVD, 64 or 32 bit, delete the first 200 MB partition on the disk, and now you really do have 4 partitions. You probably still won't be able to see your storage partition, so you'll only see three. Format what is now your first partition (displayed as first in Mac's Disk Utility) format to NTFS, and install Windows.

You won't have access to your other installs at this point, but EasyBCD should do the trick. Install entries for Linux (GRUB) and Mac (Generic PC). If you're on Windows 7, you'll need to sign up and download the EasyBCD v. 2 beta.

Your Mac part should boot just fine now. Unfortunately you won't be able to set up your kexts in the EFI partition with Munky's quasi-BOOT132 method, but that's the price you pay for using all 4 primary partitions for other stuff.

Now to get into Linux, you'll have to boot from your LiveDVD. First run fdisk on your boot drive and set the partition label for your Linux disk as Linux. I believe that's 83, although I could be wrong. Now you can install GRUB again, or do it on your next reboot. I prefer the latter procedure.

Next you have to make the NTFS storage partition, again using fdisk. Use the block placements from Partition Editor to approximate where your fdisk NTFS partition should go. I don't think any inconsistency will matter, but you should try a 16 block offset, and if that doesn't work, use 17. Maybe 15 works too, I don't know. I used 16. Then run mkfs.ntfs on that device. If you use the fast/quick argument, the format will occur much faster, but the slow method writes zeros to the disk which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about the resilience of my Storage partition.

You should be all set now!

Note 1: If Linux won't boot and you get a GRUB prompt, type find /boot/grub/stage1, do root (x,y), then setup (x,y).

Note 2: This setup is very resilient as long as you DON'T FORMAT ANYTHING FROM LINUX OR WINDOWS. I haven't tried formatting anything from Mac; I would guess that it works, but personally I wouldn't try it. It will probably overwrite your Vista bootloader, although that can usually be repaired with the install disc, as long as your MBR DOESN'T GET OVERWRITTEN. This is hard to verify since the repair process is so automated these days. Note that you MAY reinstall Windows and repartition the Windows partition AS LONG AS IT COMES BEFORE THE MAC PARTITION ON THE DISK. For reinstalling/upgrading Linux or Mac, I recommend doing a "sudo rm -r /*" from a command prompt from a Linux boot disk, or the Mac Installer DVD. FORMATTING YOUR BOOT DISK WITH THIS SETUP SHOULD BE UNNECESSARY AND IS GENERALLY A BAD IDEA.

Sorry for all the CAPS but I learned these lessons the hard way...(not on a production system, though, thank God)...but Google stuff you don't understand and then PM me if you have more questions. Also check out sites.google.com/site/ultimatetablet

Sorry to double-post...I'm too tired to edit.

Add'l info:

All you'll need to boot retail (if you have a Core or i7 processor) is dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext. If you have another processor, you'll need a kernel too.

Note that 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 may require a DSDT over-ride. They definitely require Disabler. They also bork one of Nan-Chun's earlier PC Card kext, but he has a new one so don't worry. Get PS2 kexts if you need them. SnoLeo may only boot with a proper GFX string for your graphics card.

You can use Parallels to run your Win and Lin installs from within Mac. Note that I only did this two summers ago and have not tested since. It required temporarily setting the respective partitions as active with fdisk. Lin didn't have 3D accel at the time, but I understand that's been remedied. 64-bit support for guest OSes is probably limited; I haven't tried it. Also, installing my fingerprint reader driver in Vista prevented it from booting. I wouldn't be surprised if the hard drive accelerometer driver does the same thing.

I never tried booting the Mac partition from VMWare or VirtualBox on Vista. That would just be too crazy. Or Mac from VMWare or VirtualBox on Ubuntu. I don't remember too well, but I think VMWare Fusion on Mac also did the trick for booting the other real partitions. It was in beta two summers ago! I hope I'll never have the time to test all this out...I don't think I dare try it on my production machine since the changes may secretly not be reversible. Also, 10.5.6 and up may require the Vanderpool Intel-VT flag, which would mean you'd need a Core 2 or better instead of just a Core. I barely squeak by with my tablet's C2D Merom T7200 2Ghz.