Theoretically if...

rogabean

5 posts in this topic

OK so here's a crazy mod I am considering.. and I am curious how other modders would approach this.

I'm thinking of gutting the B&W G3 completely and converting it by any means required to make it house a microBTX motherboard. However the ports on the board must all be externally accessible.

If this means tearing the back out and rebuilding onto it.. ok.

If this means gutting it and mounting the board on the inner wall.. ok.

But how would you approach this?

I intend to refinishing the whole case as well... a plexiglass/aluminum solution on the back would not be out of the question.

• 1 month later...

I would use a commell miniITX board for core duo, and then solder off all the ports, use slim profile ram, and a lithium polymer batter that can be moulded to the shape needed. Moreover, a mini-pci card, and graphics already come with the kit, when at home a real graphics card and monitor can be hooked up.

• 1 month later...

and for what all of this???

if you need cool-like micro hackintosh go with core duo processor + as Amuraivel said commell miniITX board - it's fully compatible, same as imacs and macbooks 945gm chipset, same so-dimm memory. + this Psile case it's really rokcs, and silent !

it will be exellent macmini style hackintosh !

better buy Appel Cinema display + Apple Pro Keyboard and you'll get a REAL HACKINTOSH !! =)

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is an old post of mine, but as an update... I ended up trashing the B&W's case and ebaying off it's internals.

I have still yet to decide on a case. As of now I have the microBTX board half-ass shoved in an ATX case laying on it's side...

However the G4 MDD case is a really good idea. I never noticed that case actually is very similiar to the BTX form factor.

Thanks.