Apple blocking certain youtube videos on iPhone

madwh

29 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure that in most cases it's the video uploader who is in control of "blocking" the video from being displayed on mobile devices, and many times they may not even know it. I know this only because a new video that I just uploaded was not playing on my iphone (same message you all are getting)... I went into the settings on the video, and right there, under the "Syndication" section, it was checked "No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV." I have no clue how this setting was selected, as for every other video that I've uploaded, the default was the opposite. Anyhow, I checked the box for "Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV. Note, the video may not be available on all devices due to copyright or licensing issues" and it was instantly available on my iphone.

Apparently, there are some studios that are intentionally blocking all of their content from being available on mobile devices due to copyright issues (why, I dunno), but I would guess most other videos are in the same boat mine was in - somehow, the syndication setting was erroneously set to "no."

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

To put this to rest (at least for now):

Yes, there is specific blocking of music videos (and other copyrighted content) on the iPhone.

Yes, it is very annoying.

However, this is not being done by Apple on the device end.

It is being done by Youtube, most likely in agreement with the record companies.

How do I know?

I downloaded an extension for Firefox called User Agent Switcher, which lets you choose how your browser will be identified on various websites. So I set it to identify as an iPhone.

And guess what? Videos stopped working. Specifically, I got a screen that looked like this:

post-812477-1307774569_thumb.png

This means that it's not the iPhone itself (or Apple) blocking these videos. It's Youtube, restricting access when the request appears to come from an iPhone.

Also, MiTube has since been pulled from the App store. Are there any decent workarounds for those of us who have chosen not to jailbreak?

I know Vevo has since released a free iPhone app, which works well. However, there are some videos that Vevo doesn't have, such as the Rammstein video in my example. So I'm still left looking for a solution.