How to create a valid ISO image from an OSX DVD?

4 posts in this topic

I have an iMac that came with an Leopard install disc labeled "CPU Drop-in DVD". I have a Windows computer running VMWare and am trying to build an iso that can be mounted and booted by VMWare workstation. VMWare finds the iso OK but does not see the boot section of the image and juast spins while looking for a DHCP server to resolve the boot. Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

I have an iMac that came with an Leopard install disc labeled "CPU Drop-in DVD". I have a Windows computer running VMWare and am trying to build an iso that can be mounted and booted by VMWare workstation. VMWare finds the iso OK but does not see the boot section of the image and juast spins while looking for a DHCP server to resolve the boot. Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

easiest method is from Mac Disk Utility :-

1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Insert disc in drive
  3. Select dvd drive
  4. New Image
  5. Image Format -> DVD/CD Master
  6. Change the extension from CDR to ISO

easiest method is from Mac Disk Utility :-
  1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Insert disc in drive
  3. Select dvd drive
  4. New Image
  5. Image Format -> DVD/CD Master
  6. Change the extension from CDR to ISO

Yes that's how I got to the point where I have an iso image that cannot be booted by VMWare workstation on my PC. Seems like the ISO must be patched so that it can be recognized as a bootable image????

Unless I have missed something here you will not get a standard Mac .iso image to be bootable in vmware it will never pass the hardware check and unless vmware is breaking the Apple EULA it never will either. Now if you were to search on "pcwiz vmware" you just might find an image that has been hacked for use on it.