Any Brainiacs have Asus P5E-VM HDMI working with 10.5.6?

machsurfer

16 posts in this topic

My girl has threatened to dump me if I don't stop messing with the hackintosh and browsing this forum :P ...

I'm new to the hackintosh fun and am amazed at how many smart people are out there. I've probably read half the posts on this board and learned a lot so thanks! :P

I have a working version of the Kalyway 10.5.2 that I'm running right now. I've been trying to get a second hard drive setup with the "Retail DVD vanilla kernel" method... Followed the instructions on various posts including:

- Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.6, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible

- OSX86 Guide for 10.5!, A must-read!

- New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs, Use Mac OS X Retail DVD on hackintoshes! This is real, and free

- [Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better..., Zero-modification Leopard installs.

You get the idea...

I have the Asus P5E-VM HDMI as indicated in the subject and just can't seem to get the bootloader properly installed. I just tried the Chameleon install using the KEXT files from Nomade in this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114834 with no luck.

I'm doing most of the installs while running the 10.5.2 and applying them to the test HD. When I want to test it out, I put the test drive as the only one on the system... The last few times, I get past the BIOS post and then nothing, not even a hint of a bootloader... I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Sweet, at least this way I know that the kext files are available for this board and 10.5.6. Thanks for the reply. I finally got 10.5.5 to boot using a boot disc and a bunch of errors. At least now I can go in the system log and figure out what to change out. Where did you get the kext for the G35 chipset? Did you just carry it forward from a previous install? Thanks.

Sweet, at least this way I know that the kext files are available for this board and 10.5.6. Thanks for the reply. I finally got 10.5.5 to boot using a boot disc and a bunch of errors. At least now I can go in the system log and figure out what to change out. Where did you get the kext for the G35 chipset? Did you just carry it forward from a previous install? Thanks.

Two major thing to avoid most of the problems:

Are you using sata in AHCI mode? (bios)

Where is your dvd reader connected? jmicron (IDE) ou sata?

I do, and used the method in my sig. Here's the deal...

You need to do the EFI piece a bit differently. You need to unmount the drive first (in terminal or in disk utility) and then do the EFI (and maybe even manually).

Finally, when I did the method in my sig I copied the dsmos file from my 10.5.4 and it worked like a charm...in fact on the 10.5.6 install now.

good luck...

/mdg.

MDG,

Funny, we have a very similar setup... Obviously the MB, but I also have the Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 in the Antec P180 case... Quite economical for what this machine can do!

Thanks for the reply, I will try this out on my test drive... A few questions regarding the v4.4 method specific to the P5E-VM:

1. When you applied the postpatch.sh that came in the pack, did you change anything?

a. Did the AppleHDA.kext that came with in the zip work for your audio? Perhaps you fixed this with EFI studio in step 6 of the guide?

b. The natit.kext that comes with the zip says that it is for the ATI 3870. I am using a GeForce 6600 GT 512. Did you change that to something for your specific

video card or did that one work for you?

c. Did the realtek ethernet driver work for you or did you substitute the AttansicL1ethernet.kext instead? Again, did you fix this with EFI studio in step 6 of the guide?

d. Lastly in regards to the postpatch.sh, it says that it has EFI strings for the P35-DS3P v2.1 and the P5E has the G35 chipset... Did you change anything there?

2. And lastly, you said you have to unmount the disc for the EFI. Are you talking about the bootloader install and if so, how did the bootloader know where to install?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but these are the things that I couldn't figure out the first time I tried this method... Appreciate any insight.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!

I have the exact same questions! I've been trying to install 10.5.6 on my P5e-VM HDMI PC for a while now, but had no luck so far.. Did you succeed after all, macsurfer? After following this method I always get this "grey screen of death". :S:S I tried the modified AppleHDA kext for the P5E-VM HDMI, but...

Any input would be much appreciated! :wacko:

TY

MDG,

Funny, we have a very similar setup... Obviously the MB, but I also have the Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 in the Antec P180 case... Quite economical for what this machine can do!

Thanks for the reply, I will try this out on my test drive... A few questions regarding the v4.4 method specific to the P5E-VM:

1. When you applied the postpatch.sh that came in the pack, did you change anything?

a. Did the AppleHDA.kext that came with in the zip work for your audio? Perhaps you fixed this with EFI studio in step 6 of the guide?

b. The natit.kext that comes with the zip says that it is for the ATI 3870. I am using a GeForce 6600 GT 512. Did you change that to something for your specific

video card or did that one work for you?

c. Did the realtek ethernet driver work for you or did you substitute the AttansicL1ethernet.kext instead? Again, did you fix this with EFI studio in step 6 of the guide?

d. Lastly in regards to the postpatch.sh, it says that it has EFI strings for the P35-DS3P v2.1 and the P5E has the G35 chipset... Did you change anything there?

2. And lastly, you said you have to unmount the disc for the EFI. Are you talking about the bootloader install and if so, how did the bootloader know where to install?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but these are the things that I couldn't figure out the first time I tried this method... Appreciate any insight.

Cheers!

Pantelis,

I hate to say that I gave up, but I sort of did with a workaround... I ended up putting the P5e into my Home Theatre PC and buying the EP45-DS3L motherboard for the Mac. It has worked flawlessly and I have 10.5.6 up and running with the vanilla kernel. The only downside is that it doesn't have firewire built in like the P5E does. I think they mostly support the same processors and newegg has the EP45 for under $100 if it is in your budget. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Cheers!

Hello there!

I have the exact same questions! I've been trying to install 10.5.6 on my P5e-VM HDMI PC for a while now, but had no luck so far.. Did you succeed after all, macsurfer? After following this method I always get this "grey screen of death". :S:S I tried the modified AppleHDA kext for the P5E-VM HDMI, but...

Any input would be much appreciated! :)

TY

Machsurfer, thanks for the input, glad to hear you got it working!

Good news for me too: I did manage to set up 10.5.6 on my P5e-vm hdmi!! The "Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.6, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio.." method did the trick, I used only the kexts provided by the 4.4 update, did not decline at all from the guide (I skipped steps 6 and 7, it is up to your hardware), and it worked! After booting in the 10.5.6, I installed the extra kexts needed for my nvidia graphics, the p5e network interface (Attansic L1 Ethernet 10.5.6 kexts) etc... Everything works like a charm now, so I post this in case it helps someone!

Pantelis,

I hate to say that I gave up, but I sort of did with a workaround... I ended up putting the P5e into my Home Theatre PC and buying the EP45-DS3L motherboard for the Mac. It has worked flawlessly and I have 10.5.6 up and running with the vanilla kernel. The only downside is that it doesn't have firewire built in like the P5E does. I think they mostly support the same processors and newegg has the EP45 for under $100 if it is in your budget. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

to ppetrid:

Good news for me too: I did manage to set up 10.5.6 on my P5e-vm hdmi!! The "Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.6, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio.." method did the trick, I used only the kexts provided by the 4.4 update, did not decline at all from the guide (I skipped steps 6 and 7, it is up to your hardware), and it worked! After booting in the 10.5.6, I installed the extra kexts needed for my nvidia graphics, the p5e network interface (Attansic L1 Ethernet 10.5.6 kexts) etc... Everything works like a charm now, so I post this in case it helps someone!

what do you mean by 4.4 update, have you a link to this ?

@ppetrid:

Can you share some more information? I am trying to get a "P5E-VM DO" to work and can not get past the boot prompt. What were your bios settings? What did you use for the hex number after the boot prompt? How was your HDD formatted before you booted boot-132 for the first time.