nVidia GPU temperature monitor ?

marionez

10 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
In my case GPU section is just like locked on 0% value...

Hmm, your GPU might simply be unsupported.

How old is your GPU? Does Apple's "OpenGL Driver Monitor" work for you? (it's part of Dev Tool install)

Would you mind sending an email to bugs@atpurpose.com and attach your System's profile, or at least the part of it that shows your GPU info? You can use the atMonitor's "Beta->Submit a bug report" menu as a shortcut.

Is there any way to monitor temperature of my nVidia 9500 GT? I think it could be quite hot :o

I had a similar issue when my 8800GTS kept over heating after about 2-3 hours use. I'm not sure how Leopard video drivers (I'm using nvinject) control the GPU fan, I'm guessing they don't. So I went searching for a utility that I could use to adjust the fan speed up, I wasn't able to find one for Leopard (plenty exist for Windows). I pretty much was about to give up because I couldn't use my iDeneb v1.4 install for more than 2-3 hours before the video would start to artifact and then quit when the card shut down.

I then did a bit of research, this may help others. Many of the Nvidia cards have built-in hardware monitoring of the GPU temperature and fan control. The thresholds that the monitoring circuit uses are stored in the flash on the graphics card. With that in mind, I rebuilt a flash image for my card (EVGA 8800GTS SC) with lowered temperature thresholds and higher fan duty cycle. Then flashed the card with the new flash image. So far so good, the card now runs cooler because the fan runs at a higher rate, and ramps faster as the temperature rises.

If you are interested in exact details I can put them together. In short I used:

NiBiTor (NV BIOS Editor) - Use this to read out your video BIOS, modify the temperature thresholds, and write a new BIOS image file.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-T...OS-Editor.shtml

NvFlash (NV Flash Utility) - Use this to flash update the video BIOS on the graphics card with the new image you create.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/nVFlash.shtml

Again, if there is interest I'd be happy to write up a step by step guide. I was so frustrated that my 8800GTS kept overheating, if other's have the same problem I'd be happy to help out.

I had a similar issue when my 8800GTS kept over heating after about 2-3 hours use. I'm not sure how Leopard video drivers (I'm using nvinject) control the GPU fan, I'm guessing they don't. So I went searching for a utility that I could use to adjust the fan speed up, I wasn't able to find one for Leopard (plenty exist for Windows). I pretty much was about to give up because I couldn't use my iDeneb v1.4 install for more than 2-3 hours before the video would start to artifact and then quit when the card shut down.

I then did a bit of research, this may help others. Many of the Nvidia cards have built-in hardware monitoring of the GPU temperature and fan control. The thresholds that the monitoring circuit uses are stored in the flash on the graphics card. With that in mind, I rebuilt a flash image for my card (EVGA 8800GTS SC) with lowered temperature thresholds and higher fan duty cycle. Then flashed the card with the new flash image. So far so good, the card now runs cooler because the fan runs at a higher rate, and ramps faster as the temperature rises.

If you are interested in exact details I can put them together. In short I used:

NiBiTor (NV BIOS Editor) - Use this to read out your video BIOS, modify the temperature thresholds, and write a new BIOS image file.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-T...OS-Editor.shtml

NvFlash (NV Flash Utility) - Use this to flash update the video BIOS on the graphics card with the new image you create.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/nVFlash.shtml

Again, if there is interest I'd be happy to write up a step by step guide. I was so frustrated that my 8800GTS kept overheating, if other's have the same problem I'd be happy to help out.

yes please can you write it out . I need to do this . My card is overheating in osx