Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

Hm, I tried injecting both graphic cards via strings..but it doesnt seem to work, when its going to show the desktop the screen goes blank..and it hangs there, its froze since the hdd led is not blinking.

I tried also using strings for the 9400m and using injector for the 9200GS...and same result!

I assume you also tried EFI strings for both with PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x0c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) for the 9200m part like I recommended and the same VRAM size of 256MB for both. Perhaps the @0 and @1 keys shouldn't be assigned to the secondary card.

Would be good to compare against the ioreg output and EFI strings of an OSX system that has working SLI.

I know......this guy send me the device-properties of the new mbp, but........they got deleted from pastebin =(! So i cant have it yet...I'll have to wait till he post it again, or someone else make the dump!

edit: I got the MBP5,1 plist...modified pci roots and everything, same result blank screen and frozen.

MBP51.plist.zip

I know......this guy send me the device-properties of the new mbp, but........they got deleted from pastebin =(! So i cant have it yet...I'll have to wait till he post it again, or someone else make the dump!
Dunno what you mean by all that.
edit: I got the MBP5,1 plist...modified pci roots and everything, same result blank screen and frozen.
So a real macbook pro wouldn't have manually configured EFI strings, so I wonder what that plist is from and how correct it is. It doesn't look quite right because the AAPL keys should be dynamically generated by the driver, and don't need hardcoding AFAIK.

This thread is really confusing.

For us laymen, can someone quickly break down what is working and what is not on the Studio XPS 13? Specifically, are there any kexts for the video card yet?

I am thinking of buying one, but can't figure out if OSX is fully supported yet.

I have VIDEO/WLAN and 1/2 audio working.

BCC9, i Just noticed something interesting....lol if i tap the touch-buttons for volume at some point in boot, Audio will work....lol.....

btw, had you tried compiling the dsdt.aml file?

Cheers

This thread is really confusing.

For us laymen, can someone quickly break down what is working and what is not on the Studio XPS 13? Specifically, are there any kexts for the video card yet?

I am thinking of buying one, but can't figure out if OSX is fully supported yet.

Working: video with qe/ci, audio with the built-in speakers, suspend

Not working: touchpad as anything more than dumb mouse or upon resume, keyboard modifier key layout (command/option), sli for the 9500m, built in mic or aux-in mic.

You don't need a hacked video kext, just my IOPCIFamily.kext.

I have VIDEO/WLAN and 1/2 audio working.

BCC9, i Just noticed something interesting....lol if i tap the touch-buttons for volume at some point in boot, Audio will work....lol.....

I haven't been having any trouble with basic audio so long as I have AppleHDA.kext auto-load at boot time. I just tried manually loading the kext after boot time instead, and I'm able to reproduce the audio failure that way because AppleHDAController fails to load (due to dependency problems, unless I manually deal with those).

I'm using an audio EFI string not HDAEnabler so perhaps that's improving my audio situation over what everyone else is doing. I'll post my audio EFI string if folks want.

btw, had you tried compiling the dsdt.aml file?
I have looked at the DSDT for any clues, and yes compiled it, but I don't know of any reason to change it at this point. Any reason to modify it?

Nah, its just I tried to compiled it..and recieved a lot of errors....But its done now, i have it working (forced it).

Also im still looking how to get 9500M working fully. No news though.

Will appriciate those audio strings, but oddly audio seems to be working now...

Cheers!

Working: video with qe/ci, audio with the built-in speakers, suspend

Not working: touchpad as anything more than dumb mouse or upon resume, keyboard modifier key layout (command/option), sli for the 9500m, built in mic or aux-in mic.

You don't need a hacked video kext, just my IOPCIFamily.kext.

So a Studio XPS 13 with NVIDIA 9400M G is fully working now?

I'm looking to get this configuration: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...p-studio-xps-13

Is this one a good one to get?

So a Studio XPS 13 with NVIDIA 9400M G is fully working now?

I'm looking to get this configuration: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...p-studio-xps-13

Is this one a good one to get?

I wouldn't say "fully working" as I just listed a few things that don't work. You can add CPU power management and battery monitoring to the not working list as well (CPU stays at max multiplier and doesn't throttle down to lower multipliers when idle). I also wouldn't plan on "fully supported" as you're depending upon unsupported reverse engineering efforts that barely work (look at the IDT audio kexts for a case study in that).

Yes, the 9400M G component seems to work fully.

I wouldn't bother with a 9500M as the linux driver doesn't support SLI for it, nobody has figured out the OSX driver config for it, and it adds heat and power issues. The 9400M is enough to hardware accelerate DVD and even HD video.

It's interesting that Dell seems to be back to using the broadcom 1510 not the atheros 1515 for 802.11 now.

I have a 1515 but I haven't tried installing an atheros driver under OSX for it yet.

I wouldn't say "fully working" as I just listed a few things that don't work. You can add CPU power management and battery monitoring to the not working list as well (CPU stays at max multiplier and doesn't throttle down to lower multipliers when idle). I also wouldn't plan on "fully supported" as you're depending upon unsupported reverse engineering efforts that barely work (look at the IDT audio kexts for a case study in that).

Yes, the 9400M G component seems to work fully.

I wouldn't bother with a 9500M as the linux driver doesn't support SLI for it, nobody has figured out the OSX driver config for it, and it adds heat and power issues. The 9400M is enough to hardware accelerate DVD and even HD video.

It's interesting that Dell seems to be back to using the broadcom 1510 not the atheros 1515 for 802.11 now.

I have a 1515 but I haven't tried installing an atheros driver under OSX for it yet.

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering getting the studio xps 13 or possibly the xps m1530 with configuration here: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...ils~xpsnb_m1530

Would the XPS M1530 have more complete compatibility than the studio xps 13 or would OSX support more features on the Studio XPS 13?

Well what can I say, if i were you i would buy 1340......

1) Smaller

2) Better specs same price (compared to a 1530 or 1330)

3) Hardware is almost a MBP (with 9500m, though its not needed...choose 9400m and you'll be just fine)

Edit..

BTW webcam works OOTB, Wifi (if 1510) OOTB, bluetooth doesnt work)

Would the XPS M1530 have more complete compatibility than the studio xps 13 or would OSX support more features on the Studio XPS 13?
The 1530 is last year's graphics, cpu, chipset, and a different chipset family (intel vs nvidia). Different class of laptop too - no longer an ultraportable. I haven't looked into that one for OSX as I would rule it out on form factor&performance. Probably easier to set up with OSX, but I haven't searched this forum on that model in particular.

BTW webcam works OOTB,
Yes, forgot that one. Works so long as you only care about silent video.

The 1530 is last year's graphics, cpu, chipset, and a different chipset family (intel vs nvidia). Different class of laptop too - no longer an ultraportable. I haven't looked into that one for OSX as I would rule it out on form factor&performance. Probably easier to set up with OSX, but I haven't searched this forum on that model in particular.

Yes, forgot that one. Works so long as you only care about silent video.

I'm so tempted to get the Studio XPS 13, but the stupid screen is only WXGA....argh...I really want an WUXGA monitor with a laptop that will support OSX. Now I even found out that Dell is no longer selling WUXGA monitors in the M1530 line nor in the Studio XPS 13 line. They are selling it in the Studio XPS 16 line, but that laptop has an ATI video card that is not supported in OSX yet....arghh....the search continues.

Interestingly enough, I have bought the macbook unibody 2.4, the Dell Studio XPS 1340, and the Dell m1530 all in my possession, and you know what I'm typing this on? Yep, the macbook. And I hate it because I bought the Dells hoping I could get away with it but the experience is just not the same I am sad to say. The Dells are made nicely, very nicely, just not a block of aluminum nice. The Dell m1530 I have with the uxga screen and the resolution is just too high too comfortably use. The Dell 1340 is almost there in terms of niceness, but it gets much hotter than the macbook even while not doing anything much and while having Windows set to aggressive power management. I am also worried from what I have heard online about the heat vent in the back making the screen discolor. Even so, if the battery management worked on the Dell 1340 I would keep it and sell the macbook, but alas it does not (yet). As a result I am selling the Dells. If anyone's interested shoot me a pm.

I'm so tempted to get the Studio XPS 13, but the stupid screen is only WXGA....argh...I really want an WUXGA monitor with a laptop that will support OSX. Now I even found out that Dell is no longer selling WUXGA monitors in the M1530 line nor in the Studio XPS 13 line. They are selling it in the Studio XPS 16 line, but that laptop has an ATI video card that is not supported in OSX yet....arghh....the search continues.
You do realize that the 13" diagonal screen means just 11" wide. At 1280x786, that's 113dpi. I don't know how good your eyesight is, but that dpi is higher than most desktops; higher dpi than my 24" 1920x1200 for which nobody complains about the resolution being too low.

I choose ultraportability over a larger screen. If I want a larger screen I'll use my 24".

Oh well we're just repeating arguments from notebookreview.com at this point. Are we off topic enough yet? To each their own.

I just tried superhai's genericcpupowermanagement.kext (from ridgeline's dell distribution), and it works fine for dynamically throttling the cpu. Finally the system fan can turn off when running OSX without load :D

I'm taking CPU power management off of my not working list.

bcc9 and how is temp? I mean, i could put the kext but..i guess only the cpu speed will change. I think ill stick with my fan hard-mod. As i said before i prefer a little noise over overheating!!

on the ohter hand..still working on the 9500m D: lol......

Cheers

Nano

edit: my audio isnt working again.....sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt...

bcc9 and how is temp?
How do I check that under OSX? In any case I bet it must be < 55C for the fan to be completely turned off when idle.

edit: my audio isnt working again.....sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt...
Recommend you try my combined plist that includes an audio EFI string and use that instead of HDAEnabler. See if that makes any difference. My speakers always work with my audio EFI string.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/
PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	 <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	 <dict>
			 <key>@0,compatible</key>
			 <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
			 <key>@0,device_type</key>
			 <string>display</string>
			 <key>@0,name</key>
			 <string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
			 <key>@1,compatible</key>
			 <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
			 <key>@1,device_type</key>
			 <string>display</string>
			 <key>@1,name</key>
			 <string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
			 <key>NVCAP</key>
			 <data>
			 BAAAAAAAAwAEAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
			 </data>
			 <key>NVPM</key>
			 <data>
			 AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
			 </data>
			 <key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
			 <string>0x10000000</string>
			 <key>device_type</key>
			 <string>NVDA,Parent</string>
			 <key>model</key>
			 <string>NVIDIA Geforce 9400M</string>
			 <key>name</key>
			 <string>display</string>
			 <key>rom-revision</key>
			 <string>bcc9</string>
	 </dict>
	 <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x8,0x0)</key>
	 <dict>
			 <key>PinConfigurations</key>
			 <string></string>
			 <key>built-in</key>
			 <string>0x00</string>
			 <key>layout-id</key>
			 <string>0x0000000c</string>
			 <key>revision-id</key>
			 <string>0x000000b1</string>
			 <key>subsystem-id</key>
			 <string>0x00000271</string>
			 <key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
			 <string>0x00001028</string>
			 <key>vendor-id</key>
			 <string>0x000010de</string>
	 </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

HI,

Iv got my new Dell studio 13 notebook :rolleyes: & im quite looking forward to installing OSx on it.. Have been following this thread & all the discussion on it has been very very helpful..

Im new to Osx86 & so hav been doing a lotta reading n googling to come to speed..

A Big Thanks to all of you for ur efforts in researching on & fixing the issues one by one.. Lets hope in a few days they are all ironed out.. :blowup:

Im planning to use the xXx distro 10.5.6 Univ ver2. Culd sum1 help me out by sharing what are the packages/kexts to be checked during the install...& if there are any pitfalls to watch out for to get a smooth working install..

Thnx

bcc i totally forgot! lol......Never posted back!

Your string {censored}ed up my system D:...........cant even load to single user ......can you post the string in numbers? Maybe i did something wrong!

Cheers

bcc i totally forgot! lol......Never posted back!

Your string {censored}ed up my system D:...........cant even load to single user ......can you post the string in numbers? Maybe i did something wrong!

What? You should be able to hit f8 from the bootloader and type config=somethingelse.plist to boot from an alternate file if you clobbered your com.apple.Boot.plist. I'm guessing you didn't let osx86 tools install the plist for you? Here's a recipe :
  1. Save attached file as something.plist
  2. Run OSX86 Tools
  3. Select Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag
  4. Select Import Hex/Plist
  5. Select Import File
  6. Select the plist file, click choose
  7. Select import string to boot editor
  8. select apply changes to com.apple.boot.plist

combined.plist.txt

I've been looking to get a new laptop. I was thinking of getting a netbook and trying to run OS X on a dell mini 9 or Lenovo S10, but then found this thread.

I then realized that I would probably need a good enough laptop to replace my macbook pro (core duo 2.16) for some light video editing and occasional light gaming.

I was looking at the Macbook, but the lack of firewire is a negative. The Dell Studio XPS 13 is exactly what I am looking for. A Macbook Pro with a 13.3 display. Right on the cusp of being an ultra portable.

It seems like many of you have done an amazing job getting OS X to work on this machine. I was wondering if I can ask a few questions,

I was wondering if the firewire port is working?

Also, has anyone been able to test the express card? I would like to add a FW800 card to maybe run some external drives for backup and offloading.

How is WiFi and bluetooth?

great job everyone on getting OS X to work on this machine.

thanks in advance