Studio XPS 13

digital8

222 posts in this topic

Nokiac,

So I read&played with the 1.0.19&newer alsa drivers. The 0x90a70170 pinconfig value you have is hardcoded into the driver and is used if the hardware is identified to have both an analog&digital mic. My lspci -vn shows:

00:08.0 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0ac0] (rev b1)
 Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0271]
 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
 Memory at f0880000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
 Capabilities: <access denied>
 Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
 Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

And so the 1.0.19 alsa driver matches on the PCI subsystem device ID of 0271, which matches model dell-m6-dmic, which is digital mic only. And so I don't get the pinconfig value you do. You must have different hardware or a different version of this driver, or I'm reading something wrong. What does your lspci -vn show?

I have a question.......Still dont recieved my laptop like 15 more days QQ anyway....about the graphic cards..how does the dual graphic (when you choose 9500m) work?....Do you just install kexts for the 9200GS....or..how does hybrid sli works?
With my modified IOPCIFamily kext, your 9400m device should get accelerated properly. Not sure about the 9200 part. As far as I know nobody has tried the 9500m config yet, or if they have, they didn't report back.

With my modified IOPCIFamily kext, your 9400m device should get accelerated properly. Not sure about the 9200 part. As far as I know nobody has tried the 9500m config yet, or if they have, they didn't report back.

bcc9

your IOPCIFamily.kext combined with EFI strings works great here (9500m) CI and QE supported, dual monitor supported (laptop display and Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP connected on the displayport) thank you

, thank you thank you :(

Now following your audio threads...

bcc9,

I just added your xps1340_audio.zip kext's (using kexthelper), then rebooting. I get audio to show up as an output now, but I get no sound at all through the speakers or headphones. I checked the obvious like mute and volume level, but nothing. Am I missing anything else besides just loading the new Kext's?

I went through your Audio posts, but maybe I missed something.

Thanks

@dalma

I had the same problem i saw that the pincofig wasnt the fx0... one so i changed it and then the pinConfig was changed by the the Enabler to the right one...i guess xD

Hey thanks, which file do I need to change?

@bcc9

I forgot to mention,

I have used "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6" in the modprobe.conf file. This value for model was what is mentioned in the alsa documentation. It says use this model value if you have a 92HD73 codec with both analog and digital mic.

EDIT

Heres my output from lspci -vn

00:08.0 0403: 10de:0ac0 (rev b1)

Subsystem: 1028:0271

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17

Memory at f0880000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: <access denied>

Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

So yea the hardware is the same obviously, you need to force the model=dell-m6 option because the HAL quirk for that is still not working as the hardware is pretty recent.

Hey thanks, which file do I need to change?

the HDAEnabler buuut after i did a restart my sound isnt working again =(

...a bit strange because i see the hardware AND iTunes equlizer(or how it calls) show me the highs and lows while i playing the musik

I'm totally at a loss here, my XPS Studio 13 has only the 9400m video adapter, I tried installing the extension and adding the EFI strings from your previous post and I end up with a non-bootable system, I get no errors on verbose mode, I simply get the last message about starting the Login Window and the system stays there forever.

I can recover if I remove the EFI strings from the com.apple.Boot.plist file, but then offcourse I get no QE/CI

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention,

I have used "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6" in the modprobe.conf file. This value for model was what is mentioned in the alsa documentation. It says use this model value if you have a 92HD73 codec with both analog and digital mic.

Figures. Wish you'd mentioned that before I spent so long trying to figure out why I could find no alsa driver version that matched the 1340 codecs the way you reported. I had actually tried overriding the model the other day with all 3 dell-m6 choices and still wasn't getting any sound from the built in mic. However with model-m6-dmic the recording utilities would error out or hang, but with dell-m6 no such failure.

I just tested again and found the external mic-in jack works with the model override. Horray - I had missed that the first time around. For reference I have:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
  options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=dell-m6

In my /etc/modprobe.d/sound under linux. The probe_mask prevents errors from the HDMI audio codec which I'm not sure whether or not matter.

Will try this under OSX now and see if I can get a working mic-in jack. I assume you don't have the built-in mics working under linux.

you need to force the model=dell-m6
I'd say that's a bug in the alsa driver. Since it already looks at the PCI sub-id 0271, the match should be fixed to set the model capabilities correctly, and thus match actual hardware. Perhaps the 0x0271 entry should be updated to
	   SND_PCI_QUIRK(PCI_VENDOR_ID_DELL, 0x0271,
							   "Dell Studio 1340", STAC_DELL_M6_BOTH),

I assume someone's on this already :(

bcc9,

I just added your xps1340_audio.zip kext's (using kexthelper), then rebooting. I get audio to show up as an output now, but I get no sound at all through the speakers or headphones. I checked the obvious like mute and volume level, but nothing. Am I missing anything else besides just loading the new Kext's?

I went through your Audio posts, but maybe I missed something.

Thanks

The vanilla HDAEnabler.kext and my modified AppleHDA.kext are all I had to install to get working audio. With those two, under system preferences->sound->output I get two entries:

Headphones, and Internal Speakers. When "Internal Speakers" is selected the speakers work (as well as the two headphone jacks except they don't mute the speaker). When "Headphones" is selected, nothing works for me.

Do you see both of those output devices? I assume you're not getting an errors in /var/log/system.log concerning sound.

I'm totally at a loss here, my XPS Studio 13 has only the 9400m video adapter, I tried installing the extension and adding the EFI strings from your previous post and I end up with a non-bootable system, I get no errors on verbose mode, I simply get the last message about starting the Login Window and the system stays there forever.

I can recover if I remove the EFI strings from the com.apple.Boot.plist file, but then offcourse I get no QE/CI

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Can you break that down a bit? Are you saying you are unable to modify your com.apple.Boot.plist at all without making your system fail to boot? Or does booting only fail if you're also using my modified IOPCIFamily (version 1.1)? Boots OK with modified IOPCIFamily aand no EFI strings, right?

If you're using my com.apple.Boot.plist instead of building your own with osx86tools, it's possible the PCI slot #s don't match up. You could debug that with "gfxutil -f display" or lspci. My com.apple.Boot.plist is using "PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" as the key to identify where on the PCI bus the 9400m card is.

your IOPCIFamily.kext combined with EFI strings works great here (9500m) CI and QE supported, dual monitor supported (laptop display and Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP connected on the displayport) thank you
That's great, you're welcome. Does SLI work?

Can you break that down a bit? Are you saying you are unable to modify your com.apple.Boot.plist at all without making your system fail to boot? Or does booting only fail if you're also using my modified IOPCIFamily (version 1.1)? Boots OK with modified IOPCIFamily aand no EFI strings, right?

If you're using my com.apple.Boot.plist instead of building your own with osx86tools, it's possible the PCI slot #s don't match up. You could debug that with "gfxutil -f display" or lspci. My com.apple.Boot.plist is using "PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" as the key to identify where on the PCI bus the 9400m card is.

Yes, the machine boots ok with the updated IOPCEFamily and no EFI strings, I had tried before to add the EFI strings on my own using osx86tools but resulted in the same freeze, and now I tried with yours and get the same result. my system has only on display adapter, I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Thanks again,,

I had tried before to add the EFI strings on my own using osx86tools but resulted in the same freeze
If your system is having problems with EFI strings, maybe you have an old boot loader that doesn't handle them? Try a trivial EFI string for starters and/or simplify the plist that is being installed until you figure out what key/value pair is triggering a problem.

Will try this under OSX now and see if I can get a working mic-in jack. I assume you don't have the built-in mics working under linux.

Yes the built in mic is working under Linux. I use it for skype everyday! I never use a mic connected to the mic-in jack.

Yes the built in mic is working under Linux. I use it for skype everyday! I never use a mic connected to the mic-in jack.
I wonder how you configured that part. It doesn't work for me. alsamixer only shows 1 mic, and that only inputs sound when I plug in a mic.

The vanilla HDAEnabler.kext and my modified AppleHDA.kext are all I had to install to get working audio. With those two, under system preferences->sound->output I get two entries:

Headphones, and Internal Speakers. When "Internal Speakers" is selected the speakers work (as well as the two headphone jacks except they don't mute the speaker). When "Headphones" is selected, nothing works for me.

Do you see both of those output devices? I assume you're not getting an errors in /var/log/system.log concerning sound.

Hiya can u pls point on the driver/zip u have downloaded?! thx

the HDAEnabler buuut after i did a restart my sound isnt working again =(

...a bit strange because i see the hardware AND iTunes equlizer(or how it calls) show me the highs and lows while i playing the musik

For me its kind of been the same, I've rebooted half a dozen times and so far out of those 6 times, I have gotten audio twice, other times no audio.

Yes I see 2 entries under system preferences >> sound >> output. No errors that I can see in the logs.

I wonder how you configured that part. It doesn't work for me. alsamixer only shows 1 mic, and that only inputs sound when I plug in a mic.

I did not do anything special. Just installed the latest GIT version of alsa-driver , edited modprobe.conf and reloaded the snd-hda-intel module. Also I use Kmix and there you have to right click in the mixer window and configure it to show all channels/controls. Then it shows a control called "digital input Source" . There if I select "Digital Mic 1" the inbuilt mic works and if I select "Analog Inputs" the connected mic at the jack works.

Hiya can u pls point on the driver/zip u have downloaded?! thx
The audio drivers I uploaded are just a few posts back in this very thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1111601

For me its kind of been the same, I've rebooted half a dozen times and so far out of those 6 times, I have gotten audio twice, other times no audio.
I don't know why that would be. For me the speaker output has worked every time. Perhaps we'd have better luck with the 10.5.5 audio driver if someone could figure out how to get it to load without error.

I use Kmix and there you have to right click in the mixer window and configure it to show all channels/controls. Then it shows a control called "digital input Source" . There if I select "Digital Mic 1" the inbuilt mic works and if I select "Analog Inputs" the connected mic at the jack works.
Well I can't get anything out of the built in mic no matter what I try. I have fedora 10 desktop and so no kde multimedia tools by default. alsamixer -c 0 does give me 2 capture device choices but still only sound from the mic-in jack.

Under OSX I tried to configure node 0x0b as a mic but no luck yet getting a pathmap working for it.

The built in mic would be a lot more handy but I don't even know what node id alsa is using on your machine to get it working.

The audio drivers I uploaded are just a few posts back in this very thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1111601

I don't know why that would be. For me the speaker output has worked every time. Perhaps we'd have better luck with the 10.5.5 audio driver if someone could figure out how to get it to load without error.

Well I can't get anything out of the built in mic no matter what I try. I have fedora 10 desktop and so no kde multimedia tools by default. alsamixer -c 0 does give me 2 capture device choices but still only sound from the mic-in jack.

Under OSX I tried to configure node 0x0b as a mic but no luck yet getting a pathmap working for it.

The built in mic would be a lot more handy but I don't even know what node id alsa is using on your machine to get it working.

How do we find out the node id? Is it from the codec dump??

Edit: I notice that Node 0x13 seems to be the Digital Inbuilt Mic . Is it right ? I am new at reading and making sense of the codec dumps..!

How do we find out the node id? Is it from the codec dump??
Yes, all the node ids are reported in the codec dump.

Or you can just look at the source; from patch_sigmatel.c, node 0x0b is the analog mic and node 0x13 is the digital mic. In the dell 1535/1735 version of AppleHDA, I can see that it tries using the 0x13 mic with the chain: 0x1b 0x21 0x13

For some reason that doesn't seem to be working in the version of applehda I made.

Would be great to figure out what chain the alsa driver is building for the digital mic when it's actually working.

For analog mic, the dell 1535/1735 didn't have an entry matching 0x0b, so I guessed the chain should be: 0x27 0x24 0x0b but that doesn't work for me...

Ok sounds cool, I ll look into the driver sources. And since I am a noob at this, one more stupid question, where do we modify the pin config in the kexts?!?

Edit:

I still have my Vostro 1400 with me and someone posted a kext with working internal dmic, so I can compare the codec dump from the Vostr0 and the vostro kext to see whats going on :)

Ok sounds cool, I ll look into the driver sources. And since I am a noob at this, one more stupid question, where do we modify the pin config in the kexts?!?
In the AppleHDA Info.plist(s). Exactly where depends upon driver versions unfortunately. For 10.5.3, the top level Info.plist has the Layouts and PathMap arrays but the AppleHDAController has the ConfigData key-value pair. The HDA/IDT/pinconfig stickies explain it more fully than I have. Still I've only found sketchy descriptions presumably because the plists are a moving target and nobody really knows the full semantics.

It might be worth playing with AppleHDAPatcher, though it seems to be working off of an even older version of AppleHDA than 10.5.3 so I'd only use it as a semi-automatic guide.

@pmcnano

me and i think all other poster as well...i guess

but atm nobody cares about the 9500 support ne 9400 is actually enough ...I'm using Photoshop on my maschine and it runs perfect ;D ...runs like a macbook pro xD...a bit

Dude, i would aim on getting the video cards like in the MBP, should be possible, same principles..I dont know how it works on mbp....but I guess theres a way to switch between cards.....

You should aim on that..