iTagProperly - The All Music Guide iTunes Tag Retriever

Snollygoster

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Based on my music categorization needs I found out after a lot of research that Genres are not a detailed information for describing a particular artist. We can either have the set to the most common ones (Rock, Electronic, etc) or have many many detailed ones. Either way we can not produce smart playlists containing just the music styles we need.

If you check www.allmusic.com you can see that under each artist there is a list of Styles (music styles) and a list of moods.

What I figured is that we could populate the Grouping tag with the Style information and the Comment tag with the Moods information. Imagine the possibilites for Smart Playlist creation by having you track info set like this.

This way I wrote an application called iTagProperly that gets the selected Artist from iTunes (at the moment you can select as many tracks as you like from one Artist) and then lookup the styles and moods at allmusic. After the information is retrieved you can retag all of the selected tracks with the new information.

In case there are more than one results for the query a field named URL is filled with your search query and by hitting enter in that field the possible results web page comes up. If you right click on the artist that you were looking for and copy the link in the URL field you can then successfuly retrieve the information needed and retag you tracks.

Please give it a try, its still in primitive stage but it does a lot of stuff.

I am open to suggestions and ideas, and of course bugs found.

Let me know what you think (PS: the file is of course a Universal Binary).

The file is attached to this forum, here is an alternate link just in case.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17777865/iTagPr...0.1_UB.zip.html

Thank you,

Snolly

iTagProperly_v0.1_UB.zip

-really- like the idea: should the genre/styles/moods boxes auto-populate? I get the artist webpage loaded in the lower part, but the top boxes don't fill themselves in.

good prog, lots of potential.

-really- like the idea: should the genre/styles/moods boxes auto-populate? I get the artist webpage loaded in the lower part, but the top boxes don't fill themselves in.

good prog, lots of potential.

This is how it works. If your artist returns a page with direct results (for example go to allmusic and search for Pink Floyd - this will take you directly to the Pink Floyd page) then yes the boxes are automatically filled.

If the artist returns a page with possible results then the URL field is filled in. By hitting enter in that field you get the page to load. Copy the URL that points to the Artist Page and paste it in the url field. Then get the results by using source : url

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...