How To Disable A Special Kext?

Riesenzwerg

8 posts in this topic

Okay, i got a problem: On boot i get a "iopccardbridge:start failed". Alright, I tried deleting iosspcardfamily.kext from System/Libary/Extensions, which didnt work: The boot process just froze instead of igving me an error.

So what I want to do is: I want do *disable* the loading of iopccardfamily.kext.

Anybody out there who knows how to do this just by deleting or editing files?

Okay, i got a problem: On boot i get a "iopccardbridge:start failed". Alright, I tried deleting iosspcardfamily.kext from System/Libary/Extensions, which didnt work: The boot process just froze instead of igving me an error.

So what I want to do is: I want do *disable* the loading of iopccardfamily.kext.

Anybody out there who knows how to do this just by deleting or editing files?

Ummm...I guess you could move it using the mv command from the extensions folder, or just rename it so that it won't load. Like:

sudo mv /path to extensions/iopccardfamily.kext /path to extenstions/iopccardfamily.back

If that doesn't work then move it to another folder OUT of the extensions using the same command.

Just my .02

joneSi

Ummm...I guess you could move it using the mv command from the extensions folder, or just rename it so that it won't load.  Like:

sudo mv /path to extensions/iopccardfamily.kext /path to extenstions/iopccardfamily.back

If that doesn't work then move it to another folder OUT of the extensions using the same  command. 

Just my .02

joneSi

I doubt that will work, because it's still just removing it from the proper location.

I had the same sort of thing, except that it was an my AppleACPIFamily.kext

There must be a configuration file somewhere that tells the boot process which kernel extensions to use... once we find that file, it'll be a case of commenting-out the appropriate kexts.

There must be a configuration file somewhere that tells the boot process which kernel extensions to use... once we find that file, it'll be a case of commenting-out the appropriate kexts.

And that, Sir, is exactly what I'm looking for!! I've found this here:

# Control passes to /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX, the boot loader. BootX loads the kernel and also draws the OS badges, if any.

# BootX tries to load a previously cached list of device drivers (created/updated by /usr/sbin/kextcache). Such a cache is of the type mkext and contains the info dictionaries and binary files for multiple kernel extensions. Note that if the mkext cache is corrupt or missing, BootX would look in /System/Library/Extensions for extensions that are needed in the current scenario (as determined by the value of the OSBundleRequired property in the Info.plist file of the extension's bundle.

I'll try.

I can't test it myself at the moment because my notebook gets his dis image back on.

First, I guess its very usefull to delete the cache.

Second, I had an idea: What if you just take any kext (which works), copy and paste it, named as the one that does not work. Shouldn't that work?

I can't test it myself at the moment because my notebook gets his dis image back on.

First, I guess its very usefull to delete the cache.

Second, I had an idea: What if you just take any kext (which works), copy and paste it, named as the one that does not work. Shouldn't that work?

Yeah, the worst that would happen is that the boot sequence would load the same extension twice... and that should just produce a minor error message, and keep loading without flaw... I would think.

• 5 months later...