iATKos v5i - IBM/Lenovo x61 tablet

acoma

59 posts in this topic

<br />AHCI doesn't work with stock XP, though I think there are some third party drivers that will work with it... but that's a lot more hassle to get working and I hate messing at that low a level with XP. It breaks too easily...<br />

Why would anyone not want to use the proper Intel matrix drivers for their Intel SATA chipset though.

You can install XP with AHCI off in the bios, install the intel drivers, then enable AHCI.

On another note, it looks like this post may fix the wacom functionality issue, I havn't had the chance to try it yet though - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...com&st=400#

I just posted the following to the x3100 thread since it doesn't sound like anyone here is having the same horizontal sync problem I'm seeing.

BTW, I noticed someone's log in was "Almost Rice" which led to the thought... Are we ricing out our laptops? :-)

Acoma, would it make sense to move your x61t install into one of the wikis? I'd be happy to do the conversion (with attribution, of course).

twinotter

Thinkpad x61t, with x3100, also 4GB RAM, Turbo Mem, Atheros WiFi, Bluetooth

x3100 Device ID: 2a02 rev: 0c

iAtkos v5i, Dual booting with XP.

I installed iAtkos v5 using this post: acoma's install

The only change was using Intel SATA instead of the AHCI version. I used its Graphics Update and x3100 driver.

The machine booted and ran fine a couple times. Even now, it seems like 1 boot out of 10 will work. The rest of the time I get the horizontal sync error I've seen in other posts. The machine boots through the grey Mac screen, then switches to solid blue, then goes black for a moment. Then it either comes back working or (much more often) it comes back with blue bars that cover the screen and are continuously changing. It looks like a sync error (someone didn't set up the x3100?) but may also be called tearing.

None of the other links I've looked at describe the system that I'm working with and I don't understand the interaction between different kexts well enough to know what will work. Any ideas of what to do?

By the way, I also asked this question at the tail of the acoma thread too, but it doesn't seem like people there are running into this problem.

Thanks!

Update:

I got graphics drivers functional. I tried a number of different drivers talked about variously on this message board, but what really worked was the original drivers. I deleted the AppleIntelGMA950* files from /System/Library/Extensions/, rebooted and the system came up fine. I tried doing a warm boot from XP and also a cold boot from the system completely powered off and both worked fine.

The audio came up without problems for me, however, when I downloaded the audio drivers listed in the first post, they came down with .rar.zip endings. Uncompressing them didn't work until I just deleted the .zip entry. I suspect the mime-types are messed up. It was funny to have to reboot, delete a file, then reboot again. But it worked fine.

My tablet came up as well. When it first started, it was completely misaligned. I used the Mapping button in TabletMagic and it worked beautifully. I'll have to find a paint program to try it with... anyone have any recommendations? I tried Ink and am mildly disappointed with it's slow speed. Anyone know anything to improve this?

Thanks for the great thread!!

twinotter,

I've been working on this for a few days. It is so annoying seeing those bars.

Could you please clarify how you fix it?

What do you mean by "the original driver"?

nextAaron

Update:

I got graphics drivers functional. I tried a number of different drivers talked about variously on this message board, but what really worked was the original drivers. I deleted the AppleIntelGMA950* files from /System/Library/Extensions/, rebooted and the system came up fine. I tried doing a warm boot from XP and also a cold boot from the system completely powered off and both worked fine.

The audio came up without problems for me, however, when I downloaded the audio drivers listed in the first post, they came down with .rar.zip endings. Uncompressing them didn't work until I just deleted the .zip entry. I suspect the mime-types are messed up. It was funny to have to reboot, delete a file, then reboot again. But it worked fine.

My tablet came up as well. When it first started, it was completely misaligned. I used the Mapping button in TabletMagic and it worked beautifully. I'll have to find a paint program to try it with... anyone have any recommendations? I tried Ink and am mildly disappointed with it's slow speed. Anyone know anything to improve this?

Update:

Please explain in detail how you got audio, graphics and tablet working.

For Tablet functionality you could try ArtRage or Photoshop ;)

Thanks !

I've been working on this for a few days. It is so annoying seeing those bars.

Could you please clarify how you fix it?

What do you mean by "the original driver"?

I actually spoke a little prematurely. After three beautiful boots, suddenly the sync problem was back. However, things have stabilized and the x3100 is working now. Here's what I did.

Install via acoma's system as above.

Boot into single use mode:

• use -s on the parameter line

Delete all x3100 drivers so you can use VESA mode:

• mount -uw /

• rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

• rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegrated*

• rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

• reboot

Come up into Vesa mode:

• use "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60" at the boot prompt. Use the quotes.

Use Apple Update to install 10.5.6:

• this may require getting network running...

When I came back, I've had no real problems so far... this is after about four days of use! Of course, I've had to reinstall all the drivers that I had installed under 10.5.5...

Please explain in detail how you got audio, graphics and tablet working.

For Tablet functionality you could try ArtRage or Photoshop :)

I made the audio and tablet work by following acoma's instructions above. See my post above for how I got the graphics working (knock on wood).

Thanks for the ideas for drawing applications. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to install Gimp and see how well it works...

Okay, this is mildly hilarious. Literally right after replying to the messages above, I rebooted. Sure enough, I had the sync problem again. Blech.

I'm in x3100 OS X now. But my sequence to get there was warm boot out of XP (sync problem), cold boot out of the screwed up OS X (still had sync problem), cold boot but then used "-v" at the command line. It worked on that start-up.

It really seems like an initialization problem though... who knows what is really happening. Blech. It would be interesting to know if the people who have it working reliably have bios settings that differ at all...

lol, the funny thing is I still have not actually got my tablet working.

Did you use the thinkpadenabler.kext or not ? (I have tried both) and my latest tests were with tabletmagic 2 b16. I've also tried it using a manually edited Apple16X50Serial.kext and one where it was edited with the 'enable digitizer' option in tabletmagic.

The only thing I havn't tried again since the new tabletmagic build (b16) is messing with the serial port bios options, I normally leave those disabled as I do not have a docking station.

Scratch the above, I just rebooted and it's working, something I had changed last night must have fixed it, I just had not rebooted again.

I need to recalibrate it but it works. I will update the first post with better instructions and maybe some settings screen grabs to make it easy later.

Wow. Good news.

Can you finally hunt down the necessary steps ? Or can you reproduce your succes ?

Glad it works !

Please show me how you managed it.

Please be as precise as you can as there is MUCH confusion about Tabletdrivers.

This post is about clearing things up once and for all right ?

Please also post your succes in the TabletMagic thread.

THX

PS. Any news on Cardreader and PCMCIA ?

Could you try SD Cardreader with this link and post add to your tutorial if successful ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7574&st=240

Post #255

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
I'd installed that weeks ago and never got round to trying it out, it works just fine.

I don't have any PCMCIA gear to test, sorry.

Hello Acoma,

Could you specify what must be edited to the SDHC kext to make it work on the X61?

I am runing iatkos i5 updated through software updates to 10.5.6. In the process the system lost the ability to mount dmgs (already resolved) but also lost bluetooth and fingerprint reader (both disapeared). Do you know how could I re-enable them? Would reinstaling the old kexts from a 10.5.5 backup work? how to do it (I have no idea about the kexts I should recover). Some people seems to have successfuly upgraded to 10.5.6 without the bluetooth and fingerprint issues, others not, I don't see what could make the difference.

cheers,

Ruben

I'd installed that weeks ago and never got round to trying it out, it works just fine.

I don't have any PCMCIA gear to test, sorry.

Hello Acoma,

Could you specify what must be edited to the SDHC kext to make it work on the X61?

I am runing iatkos i5 updated through software updates to 10.5.6. In the process the system lost the ability to mount dmgs (already resolved) but also lost bluetooth and fingerprint reader (both disapeared). Do you know how could I re-enable them? Would reinstaling the old kexts from a 10.5.5 backup work? how to do it (I have no idea about the kexts I should recover). Some people seems to have successfuly upgraded to 10.5.6 without the bluetooth and fingerprint issues, others not, I don't see what could make the difference.

cheers,

Ruben

Sorry, I never got round to trying the fingerprint reader, I didn't need it, I do not have any bluetooth devices so I didn't try that either, and I didn't edit the SDHC driver at all, I installed the one linked and it just worked straight away after reboot in 10.5.6.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

i habe installed my X61 with the Retail DVD. Nearly everything works. On a DMG for the Dell Mini i found a way for autothrottling the cpu. It is SUPERHAI´s GenericCPUmanager.

But this damn brightness. The EDID entry of the internal LCD is not readable/usable. Switching to 800x600 or 640x480 causes blue screens. I tried SwitchResX, but it didnt helped.

I would like to ask someone of you fellows, can you read out the EDID Entry of the LCD (X61 1024x768 max) in Windows XP?

See you then...

Hi acoma.

Long time no post :unsure:

Still fiddling around here.

Have some additions for you.

As I never got Audio working, I searched the forum.

With the AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext.zip from boneyfish in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1115272

post #162

and these instructions

To start, remove all of the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Some of these kexts may not be present if you have never attempted to use audio before. After you remove these kexts, delete Extentions.mkext in /System/Library. Then, restart the PC.

After your computer has rebooted, use Kext Helper to install boneyfish's AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext file listed a couple of posts above (#162). Reboot once more, and once the computer has loaded fully you should have sound coming from your speakers!

I finally got sound !

--------

Next is Battery Meter

With AppleACPIBatteryManager from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=36993

unrar and install AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

this works fine.

--------

Next thing to try is fingerprint from here

http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/mac/

Software Protector Suite Updated, now works with Leopard too.

Upek realeased previous version before Leopard was released and a note on their site said thar version 1.00 will work with Leopard, now it works.

If you enrolled your finger with the previous version possibly the software will alert you that your winger was already enrolled but you can erase all previous enrollments.

1.- Go to http://www.upek.com/solutions/mac/default.asp and register to download the application preview.

2.- Install it and select the options to login with fingerprint scan or password

3.- Reboot

4.- Login does not work with fingerprint scan because it does not have any of your fingerprints registered

5.- Run the Protector Suite Assistant and register your fingerprints follow the tutorial if you never did it before.

6.- Logout

7.- Login with your Finger

I was searching for applications that support fingerprint readers on Mac, my surprise was that the company that made the software included in the Dell XPS M1330 is announcing the preview application for the mac, and also they make a USB fingerprint scanner that (as I suspected) uses the same biometric coporocessor (Thomson), so the rest was very easy.

Haven't tried this yet.

-----------------

Still got problems with:

ethernet - Cut that is working now

installed from file here

http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

Somehow have the opinion, that you have to boot once while connected to lan to get it working. Then you can plug and unplug, no problems. (correct me if I'm wrong)

-------------------------------

Tablet is still a nogo :)

(urgh, tried your steps but had no luck)

Have a hard time here to get the "property list editor". Could you point me in the right direction please ?

Where can I get this proggy ?

Maybe it would be a good thing to hardlink the kext's here ? Do you agree acoma ?

@grandflash

From retail ? You mean iAtkos right ? Have a 1400 display here sorry ...

Cheers

Thanks acoma, great guide for iatkos v5i

Initially, I couldn't get audio working at all - then I also ran across Boneyfish's post as mentioned above by insmacjo - the kext and instructions immediately fixed the problem.

I do sometimes get a graphics problem (when booting up) where instead of the desktop I get the screen divided into 2 vertical sections - the left three-quarters blue and right quarter white. Seems similar (but not identical) to the problem twinotter has. Does anyone know why this happens? (I'm still running 10.5.5)

My X61T only came with a sierra mobile card, so for WiFi I ordered a lenovo atheros card and then edited IO8211Family.kext

TabletMagic works fine - I must have installed this app on 10 different tablets by now and have never had any problems with it.

@insmacjo

To get the wacom digitiser working you just need to do 2 things: edit Apple16x50serial.kext and install Tablet Magic - it doesn't matter in which order. I mean 3 things - I almost forgot that for the X61t alone you also need the tablet enabler kext which outZider miraculously produced.

To edit the serial kext, just drag it from the extensions folder to the desktop, edit the relevant info.plist with WACF004 using TextEdit, close/save and use kext helper to install it back to the extensions folder. Check that WACF004 is the hardware id of your wacom digitiser (eg using device manager in xp/vista).

Which of the 3 screen options for the X61t do you have - basic XGA (the one I have), XGA+touch or SXGA?? I believe people had problems with the touch version (WACF008 ?) although I think that's been solved now??

When you start the Tablet Magic app the first time it's quite normal for the calibration to be out - go to the Mapping tab, the Tablet area on the left hand side, click 'less' then 'more' and usually it automatically adjusts. Very rarely (eg Acer C302) I've had to get X and Y maximum numbers under the Testing tab and then enter these into the Digitiser Range boxes under Tablet PC tab.

Anyways, it's nice to have a tablet where all the basic things work... :(

Whoppeee !

Tablet is working.

Big thanks to acoma and pegasys.

Somehow never got it working. Don't know why exactly.

However as I really had a hard time to get this going I post my steps.

Below are the (fool proof) necessary steps and files for a X61t with WACF004 digitizer.

Sorry if these steps are double or triple posts :thumbsup_anim:

1. Install ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext with kexthelper (easy install) then reboot.

2. Install the modified Apple16X50Serial.kext from below with kexthelper (easy install)

(This one has PNP0501 and WACF004 entries. You could also do these modification by yourself as described above) then reboot.

3. Install TabletMagic (get it here: http://thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/ )

Version TabletMagic2b16.dmg works

4. Start TabletMagic from System Preferences. You should see that TabletMagic detects Tablet: ISD V4.0 (TabletPC) and on the right side that it "enabled" is ticked.

On the Setup page everything is geyed out (this is ok). On the TabletPC page "Don't Query" is ticked and the digitizer range is 24570 x 18430. If this is not the case go to the "Mapping page and click the "all" button on both sides. Then you can test your pen on the "Testing" page. On the "Extras" page "Launch at Startup" should be ticked.

And finally don't forget to donate to Scott for his hard work and longlasting will to get YOUR digitizer working !

Thanks to everyone here.

Files below work for Lenovo X61t 1400x1050 (Wacom WACF004)

ThinkPadTabletEnabler.tar.gz

Apple16X50Serial.kext.modified_for_WACF004.zip

Hi there! Here's my report.

My X61 is working :) iAtkos v5i installed 2 months ago, no reinstall needed working like charm!!! :D As for now, the only things which AREN'T working for me:

- audio input / output

- hibernating (do you also come with Sleep image garbage etc. when starting?)

- Ultrabase docking station's speakers (while docked)

SD card working with kext provided somewhere on those forums ( needed 2 restarts to stop halting after eject ). Quartz extreme, and so all the graphic matters working properly. Win XP on Parallels, Spaces (Ctrl + 1,2,3, etc.) everything like on Macbooks. There's also one fine thing :D test with AJA disc testing utility showed that stock WD 80GB on X61 is slightly faster than stock one on MacBooks Pro :P .

I'm going however to change my HDD for a greater one, Dual Boot purposes ( I would be happy to see the Bluetooth working - you just probably need to activate it earlier in Win XP afaik )

The only thing I'd like to mention on that occasion is PCMCIA Pc Card Slot. I do confirm it's working after installing IOPCCardFamily.kext together with IOPCIFamily.kext, both patched by Chun-Nan. Unfortunately those two make ethernet port unavailable! If anyone could watch over them and try to figure out in which part do they disable it, I'd be grateful.

Anyway, there's no way to be upset of our ThinkBooks, is there?

Hopefully yours :P

I decided to start from scratch since I wanted to test drive windows 7

Triple Boot: I installed 1st Windows 7 ( look like a bad copycat of OSX)

Then Installed OSX 10.5.6 using iDeneb V 1.4 then Installed Kubuntu64

I used Ideneb V 1.4 OSX 10.5.6 ( I'm lovin it)

default setting only

-- Checked the Atheros Fix

I have atheros wifi card so I check the Atheros Fix on install

-- Checked the Battery Fix

Nothing Else

- Audio Driver

"" no need to play with the Azillia/Turbo delete reinstall trick""

I installed the AD1984 codec

I used audio driver from --> http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=74

restart then audio is working (audio out only)

- Network Card Intel 82566MM

Dowload Kext and used Kext Helper to install

--> http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

no need to restart detect right away

- SD card reader see firts post

Dowload Kext and used Kext Helper to install

--> IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

restart then it works

--------

The x61 was over heating

I installed temperature Monitor

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

and now it stay at a cool 50C to 55C

When installing Temperature monitor it install some driver and these fixed my over heating

Weird but my ThinkBook is cool now

NOT WORKING but use to work under 10.5.5

------------------------------------------------------

- Bluetooth doesn't show in About This Mac system profiler

""True, the wireless switch is connected through there. This usually means that the bluetooth was shut off in windows before shut down, which sets a boot flag. Boot into Windows, activate bluetooth, reboot into OS X, turn on the wireless switch, and bluetooth will work. Double check in System Profiler under USB devices."

- Fingerprint reader

but use to work under 10.5.5

Fingerprint reader get driver and sofware from -->

http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/

NEVER WORKED and Still NOT WORKING

----------------------------------------------

- Screen contrast

- Modem

- Audio jack in/out

- Built in mic

MAY or MAY not work

-------------------------

PCMCIA I didn't try it yet but will give it a shot later on

---------------------------------------

LINKS

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145282

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87574

http://ultragadget.com/features/how-to-mak...s-x-and-ubuntu/

I think I've found a fix for the graphics problems that I was having. :D

(This was the problem where, quite often on booting into iatkos v5, I'd get a blue and white screen, would reboot and get the same screen again, would reboot and get the same screen again, on the 4th or 5th attempt the graphics would initialize properly and I would actually get to the desktop).

Whilst browsing the InfiniteMac forum, I came across SaCleoCheater's post:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/intel-gma-x...x-10-5-6-t2527/

he's compiled a fix for GMA X3100 (a nicely packaged installer), which claims to fix the blue and black screen issues that some people get with the X3100. I've never had a blue screen (rather blue and white) but did get a black screen after installing ideneb v1.3 (doesn't happen with v1.4).

After installing this, 24 hrs later and about 20 reboots later I still haven't encountered a single instance of the blue/white screen, so am almost convinced the problem has been fixed.

(Just for the record, this was on an install of iatkos v5, with all the selections recommended by acoma (plus X3100 efi string) and which had been updated to 10.5.6 using the update .dmg from Apple).

For screen brightness, I'm using the freeware app Brightness Control.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10429

• 2 weeks later...

@pegasys

well, i tried the gmax3100 in your post. everything is working as expected. using

the 10.5.6 vanilla gmax kext´s the screen brightness is set to max by "alkor" (console message).

with posted kext´s the message is not displayed anymore, and the screen brightness is set to

max after loading the login window. mmmh, i will try it again without the natit.kext.

First off, great how-to!

I am missing a few things that aren't addressed in this thread. I figure I either a) missed the steps all together (on install) or :) am not understanding some basic configuration tweaks post install.

I got sound working perfectly by following the OP instructions.

I had to play around with the graphics stuff to get composting working

A couple of things that are not working:

1) sleep (resumes to a black screen)

2) scrolling on the touchpad

3) some functionality of keys is missing (ie, page up/page down)

I searched and read through several threads, but it's a bit difficult to tell what's new information and what's old.

sorry for sounding so needy, but nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated :(