How to find posts after mid July 2008?

15 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I wonder why the search function here doesn't show posts after mid July 2008 (installation date of new search engine?). When I search for something with the options "Search posts from..." set to "Newer" (default) and "Result Type" set to "Show results as posts", I got posts starting at mid July 2008, getting older down the list. What about all newer posts? It seems they didn't get indexed properly ...

Hope you can help. Regards,

Christian

bump and having the same problem. Didn't notice this thread at first, so here's my original post from above (now below I suppose):

It would appear that the search engine hasn't indexed any posts from the date it was updated, at least as far as I can tell. If I were to search all forums with terms like "live dvd" or "boot efi", without the quotes of course, the newest results are from the 16th of July 2008. Interestingly, that's right around the time the new search was put into place, so I suspect the engine to index pages for search hasn't ran since then. Could someone please check on this?

Gonna PM suhail since he seems to the search person.

Hey,

First of all thanks Chibishin for PM'ing me, I'm haven't been active for the past week because of exam revision.

Anyhow regarding your search issue, I do not control any part of the server management (Eg. Indexes, Cron Jobs, Management) although I have passed your query to the people at Fubra who will ensure your query gets resolved.

I will be keeping my eye on this topic and I'll update this topic accordingly to the information I get from the people who handle this. This is a bit odd because the implementation of the New Search should have not affected the actual Cron Job being ran.

It actually seems the Show Results as Posts is broken and it's not the only thing that's broken (Seems like you can't choose any options to limit the search :lol:), I will have a look at it tonight since it's a software issue. (After I finish this ever lasting Maths work :))

Using site: with google is all well and good, but doesn't solve the problem of searching within specific threads. It doesn't address the root problem, and not to mention that most noobs are probably not going to know to use site: with google.

for the recommended search engines there is no need of using "site:" - there are made only for hackintosh search. it can´t substitute the function of searching inside the post, but with a little bit of skill you will also find what you are looking for.

I suppose you could use inurl and the showtopic=id as well, but again, it doesn't address the root problem. Why bother having a search function if you're not going to make it work properly?

Suhail has already said he'd take a look at it, try not to berate staff members that are doing their best to provide us with a free service on their volunteer time.

No more unconstructive criticism.

Suhail has already said he'd take a look at it, try not to berate staff members that are doing their best to provide us with a free service on their volunteer time.

No more unconstructive criticism.

You misunderstand, I thanked Suhail for offering to take a look into it. I'm criticizing/berating this guy who thinks the answer to the problem is just to go basically use google and not to fix the problem. Are you saying you agree with this assessment of his?