Fully working legacy driver for ALC883 address 0 (Notebook)

coconup

106 posts in this topic

to use dsdt to enable hda you just have to copy the code in the first post under your HDEF device in your decompiled dsdt and then compile it to .aml, which usually goes in the root folder. use fassl patcher to do everything

btw whether you inject hda through dsdt or hdaenabler has nothing to do with the sound assertions, they are different methods that do the very same thing :P

and to all the people asking for help regarding other cards, use other topics or follow the king's guide in the genius bar

@cococup

Yeah I did get every device working. I found we both share the same Nod18 Nod19 info so I just used your Verbs data of these two items and it worked. But I still got sound assertions like this. I remember you once had this experience so I need your help to figur it out.

Actually there 4 sound assertions now.

Apr  6 03:36:17 austin-chans-hasee kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1175 goto Exit
Apr  6 03:36:17 austin-chans-hasee kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 266 goto handler
Apr  6 03:36:17 austin-chans-hasee kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1175 goto Exit
Apr  6 03:36:17 austin-chans-hasee kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 266 goto handler

Donno what to edit yet. Do u have any idea? Here is my Verbs.

<01471c40 01471d10 01471e2b 01471f01 01571c50 01571d01 01571e13 01571f90 01971c10 01971d01 01971ea0 01971f90 01871c20 01871d30 01871e8b 01871f01 01e71c60 01e71d11 01e71e4b 01e71f01>

Essential part of the Codec Dump

Node 0x14 [Pin Complex]Pincap 0x083e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
 Pin Default 0x0121101f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Rear
Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0xf
 Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP

Node 0x15 [Pin Complex]Pincap 0x083e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
 Pin Default 0x99130110: [Fixed] Speaker at Int ATAPI
Conn = ATAPI, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT

Node 0x18 [Pin Complex]Pincap 0x08173e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x01a19830: [Jack] Mic at Ext Rear
Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink
DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80

Node 0x19 [Pin Complex]Pincap 0x08173e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x99a3093f: [Fixed] Mic at Int ATAPI
Conn = ATAPI, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0xf
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80

Node 0x1e [Pin Complex]Pincap 0x0810: OUT
 Pin Default 0x01451120: [Jack] SPDIF Out at Ext Rear
Conn = Optical, Color = Black
DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0x0
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x00:

What to mod now, dude? :(

Hi, cococup.

B.T.W my laptop cannot sleep; does urs working? I tick the option restart automatically after a power failure but still not working. How did you enable this function. It`s important function of laptop. I wanna know about it. Can you share me the trick? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I`d added these kexts into my EFI partition.

OpenHaltRestart Disabler AppleDecrypt ApplePS2Controller ACPIPS2Nub

post-216278-1238937117_thumb.png

but.. your verbs are pretty much the same as mine, have you tried my kext? btw I think you should edit the sound processing in the layout or the Amp values in the pathmap to get rid of those (2) sound assertions.... look at my kext and try to copy and paste :)

Hi, cococup.

B.T.W my laptop cannot sleep; does urs working? I tick the option restart automatically after a power failure but still not working. How did you enable this function. It`s important function of laptop. I wanna know about it. Can you share me the trick? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I`d added these kexts into my EFI partition.

OpenHaltRestart Disabler AppleDecrypt ApplePS2Controller ACPIPS2Nub

well first of all I would try with slice's usb kexts and voodoousbehci by superhai, if it still doesn't work you probably have to go through dsdt and change something. btw it works on my laptop but I have both those kexts and a patched dsdt

but.. your verbs are pretty much the same as mine, have you tried my kext? btw I think you should edit the sound processing in the layout or the Amp values in the pathmap to get rid of those (2) sound assertions.... look at my kext and try to copy and paste :P

well first of all I would try with slice's usb kexts and voodoousbehci by superhai, if it still doesn't work you probably have to go through dsdt and change something. btw it works on my laptop but I have both those kexts and a patched dsdt

@cococup

Thank u for ur reply. I`m not sure how to patch the dsdt yet. How did u do it? Can you post the link and give me a quick explanation of what command to use to get a patched DSDT.aml? I wonder whether I have to use a linux distribution CD to accomplish that or just patch alone. Pls reply a.s.a.p.

And here is my sleep problem.

in my case the machine perfectly tries to go to sleep, but it wakes up immediately, so no sleep. maybe its just a delay problem. i cannot change in bios powermanagement a delay ( some configs offer that).

Here comes my system log about sound assertions.

Apr  6 18:02:10 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1175 goto Exit
Apr  6 18:02:10 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 266 goto handler
Apr  6 18:02:10 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAPath.cpp" at line 1175 goto Exit
Apr  6 18:02:10 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != pathSet->getWidgetAmplifierGainRange ( &zeroValue, &minValue, &maxValue, &minDB, &maxDB, kPATH_CONTROL_SPATIAL_CHANNELID_Master )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 266 goto handler

I`ve delete the string of DspGainStage but the error still shows up. Any idea,man?

@cococup

Thank u for ur reply. I`m not sure how to patch the dsdt yet. How did u do it? Can you post the link and give me a quick explanation of what command to use to get a patched DSDT.aml? I wonder whether I have to use a linux distribution CD to accomplish that or just patch alone. Pls reply a.s.a.p.

holy christ, there are almost a thousand posts about dsdt and how to patch it... why should I explain you how to do when you just have to click twice on your mouse to get there?

in my case the machine perfectly tries to go to sleep, but it wakes up immediately, so no sleep. maybe its just a delay problem. i cannot change in bios powermanagement a delay ( some configs offer that).

that's why I told you to use voodoousbehci from superhai. if it still doesn't work, delete your usb ports from dsdt.

Here comes my system log about sound assertions.

I`ve delete the string of DspGainStage but the error still shows up. Any idea,man?

you don't have to delete them, or probably the problem isn't there if you still get the same sound assertions. try to copy and paste different values.. I dunno what those sound assertions mean, I solved mine by trying different combinations and it took a while ;)

• 3 weeks later...

hi!!! i also have this soundcard working but not the 5.1 sistem i have 3 outputs jacks only mic in , speakers and line out , but on windows i configured them to connect the black orange and green jacks of the 5.1 sistem , i know how to do it in mac too, via midi settings , but i cannot get to show me there 3 chanels or more theres only left and right,i downloaded the kexts and dsts but honestly i dont know where to begin!! i know how to install kexts but could you tell me in which order or some steps to install this driver?????

thanks¡¡¡

everything perfect now ;)

Hi coconup :)

i trying to get LINE IN working with good sound quality but it seams that is working but with MIC parameters and sound quality is poor. LINE IN has all params same like MIC. (tricky)

if someone have working LINE IN with right sound quality please post it. I tried to config right paths for LINE IN but each time nothing happend. i already have no idea what to do now... please check kext that i use and here is also my dump of my codecs. .

ALC883.kext.zip

codec_dump.txt

please guys share with your suggestions or params used for LINE IN different as MIC does..

yes I know the sound quality isn't the best.. to improve it you should look at the sound processing values (layout section). open the original applehda and try to copy and paste the whole softwaredsp section from different layouts of the alc885 codecs.. I tried a few and some of them also caused the system to crash.. if you find something better pls let me know :hysterical:

yes I know the sound quality isn't the best.. to improve it you should look at the sound processing values (layout section). open the original applehda and try to copy and paste the whole softwaredsp section from different layouts of the alc885 codecs.. I tried a few and some of them also caused the system to crash.. if you find something better pls let me know :P

that's the challenge ;) maybe i will try. i tried also set corrent paths for LINE IN based on codec dump and graphics scheme, but seams, that only one combination works like it works (with poor sound quality) and when i compare with others people that made legacy kext or other for 883 seams that mine they have path set logical like they should be with codec dumps.. i don't get it ...why my looks different then others ...

i will keep it tryin' and don't give up ;)

coconup,

i've checked retail applehda kext and i didn't find any softwaredsp section with LINEIN all that i found were values of MuteGPIO i found 838926348 838926362 838926357 and only 838926362 is working as it is. some of them haven't any entries for LINEIN...

no improvemnt at the moment..

update:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

with this kext LINE IN is working perfectly almost sound quality is the best then can be, maybe it will help somehow.

i found it on Master Chief Linux Pin Config Guide

D.

Hi, dude. I've get all device working. But I noticed the Input has a very annoying echo. How to lower the echo? Is there a similar solution like the noise reduction function to add? Anyone succeed, please post and reply. Thanks a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Coconup,

did you notice problem after 10.5.7 update ? i got some problems with retail AppleHAD from 10.5.7

May 13 19:12:15 MacBookPro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1428 goto Exit

May 13 19:12:15 MacBookPro WindowServer[61]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

May 13 19:12:16 MacBookPro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 130 goto Exit

May 13 19:12:16 MacBookPro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1428 goto Exit

May 13 19:12:16 MacBookPro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 130 goto Exit

May 13 19:12:16 MacBookPro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1428 goto Exit

i try restore retail AppleHDA from 10.5.6 and the same problems shows up :D

any advice ?

Alright, now everything's working and displayed correctly. No sound assertions at all under 10.5.6. You must put the kext in extra/extensions.mkext and patch your dsdt or inject the codec verbs in hdaenabler.

I changed the verbs to make every jack connection shown as combo, like in real macbooks. This didn't actually affect any functionality. If you prefer to have external stuff shown as 1/8 inch Jack, just change every 'B' with '1' in the verbs and in the pin configuration.

What's inside:

Internal Speakers and Headphones with autoswitch between them

Internal Mic recognized and working with noise reduction

Line In working with noise reduction as well

Autoswitch between Internal Mic and Line In

Digital Out working

No sound assertions at all

post-269722-1238162765_thumb.png

post-269722-1238162835_thumb.png

post-269722-1238162908_thumb.png

post-269722-1237997358_thumb.png

post-269722-1237997365_thumb.png

Kext: ALC883.zip

HDAEnabler: HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Verbs:

01471C40 01471D01 01471E10 01471F90 01571C50 01571D40 01571E2B 01571F01 01971C10 01971D01 01971EA0 01971F90 01871C20 01871D30 01871E8B 01871F01 01E71C60 01E71DE1 01E71E4B 01E71F01

DSDT:

Device (HDEF)
		  {
			  Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			  OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
			  Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
			  {
				  DCKA,   1, 
						  Offset (0x01), 
				  DCKM,   1, 
					  ,   6, 
				  DCKS,   1, 
						  Offset (0x08), 
					  ,   15, 
				  PMES,   1
			  }	

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			  {
				  Store (Package (0x08)
				  {
					  "codec-id",
					  Buffer (0x04)
					  {
					  0x83, 0x08, 0xec, 0x10
					  },

"layout-id",
					  Buffer (0x04)
					  {
						  0x73, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
					  },

"device-type",
					  Buffer (0x11)
					  {
						  "ALC883"
					  },

"PinConfigurations",
					  Buffer (0x14)
					  {
						  /* 0000 */ 0x40, 0x01, 0x10, 0x90, 0x50, 0x40, 0x2b, 0x01, 
						  /* 0008 */ 0x10, 0x01, 0xa0, 0x90, 0x20, 0x30, 0x8b, 0x01, 
						  /* 0010 */ 0x60, 0xe1, 0x4b, 0x01
					  } 

}, Local0)
				  DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				  Return (Local0)
				  }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			  {
				  0x0D, 
				  0x04
			  })
		  }

Hello!

My audio stoped working after 10.5.7 update, only the speaker out is working and autoswitch to when i plugg in headphones but no audio. I used your dsdt.aml file in extra folder and then evrythings working as before but it broke my sleep function. I tried the old applehda.kext from 10.5.6 but it dident help.

So Coconup do you have any idea what to do?

I had no problems updating to 10.5.7. just one sound assertion came up but I solved it in one minute because there's just a new entry that's been added to 10.5.7 applehda.. I uploaded the new kext in the first post but if you are experiencing major problems this won't probably solve them. I suggest you to switch back to 10.5.6 original applehda.kext in s/l/e or try to patch it from what used to work for you looking at the original 10.5.7 applehda

@daniel: I find very strange that injecting hda in your dsdt breaks your sleep.. look at the console and see what pops up upon waking, it's probably more related to usb

ps: 10.5.7 apparently solved my 'no reboot after sleep' issue, that I was having since 10.5.2

I had no problems updating to 10.5.7. just one sound assertion came up but I solved it in one minute because there's just a new entry that's been added to 10.5.7 applehda.. I uploaded the new kext in the first post but if you are experiencing major problems this won't probably solve them. I suggest you to switch back to 10.5.6 original applehda.kext in s/l/e or try to patch it from what used to work for you looking at the original 10.5.7 applehda

@daniel: I find very strange that injecting hda in your dsdt breaks your sleep.. look at the console and see what pops up upon waking, it's probably more related to usb

ps: 10.5.7 apparently solved my 'no reboot after sleep' issue, that I was having since 10.5.2

coconup

i got still same Log entires regarding this problem..(post above) no metter if i use 10.5.6 AppleHDA with Extra folder legacy kext of U or others.. with 10.5.7 same problem .. i wondering why ? why it happens with retail 10.5.6 HDA installed in s/l/e ?

with new kext for .7 also (both retail HDA kexts)

i cleared cache everything what needed to refresh it ... installed with kexthelper .. nothing helps me

I really don't know, as I said the new kext adds only one entry to the old one that solves the only new sound assertion that I had after the update.. I don't have your errors so I don't know how to help you, was everything working before the update?

I really don't know, as I said the new kext adds only one entry to the old one that solves the only new sound assertion that I had after the update.. I don't have your errors so I don't know how to help you, was everything working before the update?

Coconup,

i spend about 5 hours this night to find out what is all about and i found that my problem was HDAenabler that have configured wrong LayoutID ( i didn't check it before couse it was working with my kext before loaded from s/l/e ... after update i decide to use legacy kext loaded from e/e and that was my problem ...i try to use different HDAenabler and at last i got right one. so i re-configure all values (PINS and Paths) and now only one thing left :( and you maybe will help me with this to remove

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

how to repair it ? i use 10.5.6 kext with legacy driver tweaked lightly by myself straight for Acer Aspire 9420 Legacy_HDA_for_9420_Aspire.zip

Coconup,

i spend about 5 hours this night to find out what is all about and i found that my problem was HDAenabler that have configured wrong LayoutID ( i didn't check it before couse it was working with my kext before loaded from s/l/e ... after update i decide to use legacy kext loaded from e/e and that was my problem ...i try to use different HDAenabler and at last i got right one. so i re-configure all values (PINS and Paths) and now only one thing left :) and you maybe will help me with this to remove

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

how to repair it ? i use 10.5.6 kext with legacy driver tweaked lightly by myself straight for Acer Aspire 9420 Legacy_HDA_for_9420_Aspire.zip

yeah I solved that one by changing ExtMic to LineIn in layouts :whistle:

@coconup

Is your Sound's Input OK after 10.5.7 update?

After update, my microphone port is lost.

well I didn't really check but autoswitch still works and I have no sound assertions, however I will report back tomorrow when I can try with an external mic

yeah I solved that one by changing ExtMic to LineIn in layouts :)

well I didn't really check but autoswitch still works and I have no sound assertions, however I will report back tomorrow when I can try with an external mic

Thanks for reply.

I see. My Microphone in Input of Sound is shown External microphone. New AppleHDA kills it.

Is there any way to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
Coconup,

i spend about 5 hours this night to find out what is all about and i found that my problem was HDAenabler that have configured wrong LayoutID ( i didn't check it before couse it was working with my kext before loaded from s/l/e ... after update i decide to use legacy kext loaded from e/e and that was my problem ...i try to use different HDAenabler and at last i got right one. so i re-configure all values (PINS and Paths)

Can someone please explain what this means? Why would you need a different LayoutID in HDAEnabler from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7? In the 10.5.6 HDAEnabler I didn't define any PINS or paths. I was using stickpin's LegacyHDAController/PlatformDriver previously on my ALC888 with good results, and now 10.5.7 has hosed everything. Even when I drop in the AppleHDA from 10.5.6 and the same old kexts that worked before in chameleon, nothing but silence and these guys:

5/31/09 7:27:11 AM kernel Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in 
"/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit 
5/31/09 7:27:11 AM kernel Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in 
"/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit 

I'm missing something obvious. I can almost see it. What do you guys think?

10.5.6>upgrade то 10.5.7 from online

Asus p5b MX ALC 883

Jun 2 07:34:27 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Jun 2 07:34:27 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Jun 2 07:34:45 venzos kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit

Jun 2 07:34:45 venzos kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

Jun 2 07:34:45 venzos kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1327 goto Exit

Jun 2 07:34:45 venzos kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 127 goto Exit

Jun 2 07:34:45 venzos kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm using a P5K mobo, ALC883 chipset, but don't really understand how to install it properly.

My sound works, but is sometimes chopped ...

I'm only willing to get stereo output and front output support for the moment, what sould I do ?

Thanks for your help :)

Edit :

Forget it, I used a taruga driver from another topic speaking of P5K-Pro, seems to work fine for me :)

• 2 weeks later...