Biostar MCP6P-M2 motherboard

4 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
I don't see this particular Biostar motherboard listed on the HCL: Biostar MCP6P-M2. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I'm looking to get this awesome system for $199 and dual-boot Windows/MacOS: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...u=B450-2340%20C

I bought the same barebones kit for $149. It was an awesome deal. I was able to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on it first try. Its my only successful attempt ever at getting OSX to boot on any computer. The downside is my network card and sound were not dectected. Could be an easy fix, who knows, I'm not very familiar with OSX.

So yes you can get OSX on that system but you'll have to figure out how to get the sound and network card working. If anyone can help me with that, please tell me.

I Have the Biostar MCP6P-M2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 4GB Ram

How:

Installed Windows XP PRO (SP2)

Then

Installed Leo4All-10.5.2 Universal AMD/INTEL[sSE2/SSE3]

Then

Installed Ubuntu 8.04.1

Then modified grub to have muti-boot screen

Works:

2048mb PC2-5300 (333MHz)"PDP Systems"

2048mb PC2-5300 (333MHz)"PDP Systems"

500Gb (Sata) Western Digital HD

250Gb (IDE) Seagate HD

Dropin Cards:

VisonTek 9250 128bit (PCI)

Acer NIC 10/100 (PCI)

Will Not Work:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 "Crash on boot"

ALC662 5.1 channels audio out High Definition Audio "No Sound"

Realtek RTL 8201CL 10/100

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same motherboard and it works GREAT! Audio is supported with the use of AppleAzaliaAudio package (comes in Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb 10.5.4, and iPC 10.5.6). Nforce ethernet is a little strange, as the forcedeth driver doesn't work with this board. You have to use NforceLAN (located here). Version 0.62.12n works fine here. The onboard GeForce 6150SE has no known possible way of working with QE/CI support. If you don't want to spend much money for a video card, I would get an ASUS 7200GS. It's no longer available on newegg, but the Gigabyte version of that board should work fine.

I've been using iPC 10.5.6 on this board with a Galaxy 9500GT and it works marvelously. The best part is, iPC includes the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, which enables SSE3 and has the cool on-the-fly opcode patcher, so you don't have to worry about updates and Apple programs killing the machine.