[Guide] Intel D945GCNL / Retail 10.5

noise

18 posts in this topic

D945GCNL Guide by Noise

[imagen1lk3.th.jpg

Here is a little guide to get osx running on the Intel D945GCNL board. Everything works great including Sleep, Shutdown, Restart; What does not work? Audio Input but Output works pefectly.. Im using Azalia for HD audio output, i havent found a working method to get the ALC883 chip on this board to run properly. If anyone wants to share some knowledge on how to get it to work correctly please post instructions in this topic.

Ingredients

1 Leopard Installation DVD (The one bundled with real macs WORKS! There is a myth that this DVD will not work, i'll talk about this later in this guide.)

2 D945GCNL_Pack_V1

http://rapidshare.com/files/173238670/D945...ack_V1.zip.html

3 Flash drive (or any storage solution you want to use)

4 A freaking blank CD

Credits

Thanks to iSynapse and his D945GCLF2 installation pack. His boot cd comes with the minimal kexts needed to boot the retaill installation DVD on the D945GCNL (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138881)

The OSX86 Community, PCWIZ for the OSx86Tools, and all the people behind all the kext-hacking in this pack.

NEW MIRROR :

D945GCNL_Pack_V1.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?hynnwjjwzym

This zip archive includes the following files

D945GCLF2_boot_132.iso by iSynapse

Chameleon-1.0.11-installer.dmg Chameleon's Team kick ass bootloader

Kext Installer Folder Audio installation packages

Kexts Folder All the required kexts

Tools Folder OSX86Tools & Kext Helper b7 to make everything easier :)

OMG LIAR, you can't use the Leopard installer bundled with real macs!

There is a workaround for this, when the installation tells you that you cant use that disc on your hot h/m-acintosh just click on utilities and select "Restore System from Backup" this will open another window, close it and now the installer lets you continue with the installation. :)

Installation

Ok, so go grab a cup of coffee and lets get started.

Booting the DVD

1 Download the D945GCNL zip pack listed above and extract it on a usb flash drive (or whatever you want to use), we will use all these files later.

2 Burn iSynapse's D945GCLF2_boot_132.iso, This will make a bootable CD.

3 Turn on your D945GCNL mobo-based computer with the bootable CD we just burned..

4 Wait for it to boot the modified Darwin Bootloader, it will show you something like this:

01selecdiscoga4.jpg

5 Now eject your bootable CD and insert your retail installation DVD; Wait a bit until it loads and press enter, if it doesnt load press enter twice until it shows the following prompt:

02selecf8sd8.jpg

6 Press any key :)

8 It should start loading the Dvd.. it might take a couple of minutes, be patient.

GUID and Installation

9 The installer should load but dont do anything yet we need to format the drive first

10 Go to the utilities menu (top menu bar) and Select "Disk Utility"

11 Select your drive and then click to the Partition Tab

12 Click on "Volume Scheme" and select 1 Partition, now click on the options button and select "GUID Partition Scheme"

13 Give your HD a nice name and select (Mac OS Extended) Journaled as format

14 Click Apply and close Disk Utility this will take you back to the installer

15 Install OSX; Next, next, installing, reboot. (If rebooting frezes tha' computer, shut it down the bad way, do not panic, this is normal..)

Rebooting And Installing the Bootloader and Kexts

16 Reboot but take out the Leopard installation DVD and insert your boot cd again

17 When the modified darwin bootloader boots press enter

18 In the next prompt write "80" this will show up our HD, after that press enter again and leopard should boot

19 Complete all the installation Shiznit, etc.

20 You made it to the desktop! now lets get the party started..

21 Fire up my installation zip pack again and extract it on the desktop (or wherever you want to extract it)

22 Open the Chamelleon Installer and guess what? Install Chameleon!

23 Now open the OSX86Tools App, click on EFI and install the Chameleon EFI again; this will make your boot partition active.

- This step might sound really akward but for newbies might be an easy solution to solve boot problems

24 Install Kexts you can use OSX86tools or the Kext Helper app which i also included on the zip file. Select all the kexts inside the kexts folder and then clear extensions cache using the OSX86Tools application.

25 Now install the ALC883Audio.mpkg package (Located in the Kext Installers folder) but do not restart yet, close the installer and now launch the AzaliaAudio package (Located in the same folder) and reboot.

26 Cross your fingers

27 Everything should be working now, open Disk Utility, repair permissions, post a yay message in this topic.

I hope someone find this little guide useful, i will create a plugin for the upcoming osx86 installer by PCWIZ to make this even easier.. But for now you can start messing with tha' big apple.

If you have any problems, feel free to post in this thread :)

Thank you!

This thread helped me not because I have the D945GCNL, but actually because I really didn't know what to do when it got to the boot screen. Your image that reads:

"Enter two-digit hexidecimal boot-device [9f]: 9f "

really helped me, I didn't realize that the code at the end of that line was the boot device (DVD drive) and I had no idea what to press to get it to boot. I feel a little silly, but thanks for putting up the image and having the line already typed in. It was very helpful (for a noob).

Hey, glad it helped you out. I didnt took those photos, they are from Hecabes guide they are quite useful for starters.

I have also found an easy way to update to 10.5.5 after the retail installation, im gonna update this thread soon...

OK I followed the guide and all seemed ok until the last reboot. I get the desktop then the dreaded message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power......".

I can still boot using the CD and selecting 80, not shure whats up?

My Retail is 10.5.4

Ok I re-ran the install several times and found the following.

The basic install from the Boot CD works great.

On the first startup all seems to work with the following exceptions:

Ok I ran the install program several times and came up with the following:

Boot the Cd put in the Leopard retail and everything ok and system comes up properly.

The system seems to be ok with the following exceptions:

- No sound

- The restart function will hang the pc, shut down works ok.

The stock drivers for the video and Ethernet work great without loading any extra drivers.

By following the instructions given the pc will boot to the desktop and give you the dreaded hold down the power buttom error scree. When you start with the CD the system seems ok but Ethernet is not working.

2nd attempt follow instructions including sound card but do not load the kexts provided, I opened up the boot iso and extraced the kexts used there and applied them. Now the pc boots correctly. Restart still bad so I loaded the OpenHaltRestart.kext and the restart works ok.

It seems that for me one or more of the kext's provided crashes my system. Looking at the error log I found the following "The process has forked and you can not use this CoreFoundation functionalty safely."

Later today I am going to resarch the kexts provided and attempt to find out what they are for. If anyone has information on this it would speed my quest.

It looks like the last issue has to do with puting the screen to sleep, probably why some of the other kext files for the video????

Yeah, if you actually follow the guide exactly as mentioned: you need to boot again with the boot cd and install chameleon, set the active boot partition with OSX86Tools by installing chameleon EFI again and install all the kexts I provided in the zip file attached. This way you won't have the kernel panic you are having on boot.

Your kernel panic is happening because you are not installing the kext disablers. So first, follow the guide exactly as i writed it and I can guarantee you'll be up and running in a couple of minutes.

BTW: Sleep might not work, and that might be happening because of the GMA950 drivers, im sorry about that. Im actually using a XFX Geforce 8500 GT and i didnt had the chance to test the bundled gma950 card on the d945gcnl board. Alt drivers: http://code.google.com/p/darwin950/ (Give these a try?)

• 1 month later...

Ok, everything went smooth apart from a few things:

1) Network doesn't seem to work. Going to mess around with it now to try and fix it and will report back.

2) Graphics will only show 1024x768. Quartz is enabled. Tried newer drivers from the link above but still not working. Thankfully I am getting a GFX card tomorrow..

UPDATE:

Network still not working.

Graphics now accepting high resolution but no quartz.

Only seeing 3.2GB ram (32BIT?)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running 10.5.5 with 4GB of 800MHz RAM, Detected as 667MHz and I do not care.

I had to update my BIOS to get it to support more than 2GB of RAM. its a shame the max RAM is 4GB.

This board will support RAM Frequency upto 667MHz, so memory frequency above that level will be ignored and will work in 667MHz. Regarding the amount of RAM, the Intel web page says it will support upto 2GB, but I've tested this board with 3GB of RAM (1x2GB + 1x1GB), reported successfully by System Profiler. Still no clues about 4GB RAM. Does your system profiler report it as 4GB or just 3.x? Does your BIOS report 4GB (4096 MB) correctly? Could you please post screenshots of your System Profiler (memory pane), "About this Mac" and Activity Monitor (System Memory tab)?

BTW, what is your cpu temperature when running OS X?

Mine is a E4600 2.4 GHz 800MHz FSB with 2MB Cache reporting 52 C and 54 C for 1st and 2nd cores. Is this normal? I'm running 10.5.6 (BOOT-132 Retail 10.5 + 10.5.6 ComboUpdate + dsdt patch - no disabler.kext and thus keeping AppleIntelCPUPowerManangement.kext)

Thanks & Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I re-ran the install several times and found the following.

The basic install from the Boot CD works great.

On the first startup all seems to work with the following exceptions:

Ok I ran the install program several times and came up with the following:

Boot the Cd put in the Leopard retail and everything ok and system comes up properly.

The system seems to be ok with the following exceptions:

- No sound

- The restart function will hang the pc, shut down works ok.

The stock drivers for the video and Ethernet work great without loading any extra drivers.

By following the instructions given the pc will boot to the desktop and give you the dreaded hold down the power buttom error scree. When you start with the CD the system seems ok but Ethernet is not working.

2nd attempt follow instructions including sound card but do not load the kexts provided, I opened up the boot iso and extraced the kexts used there and applied them. Now the pc boots correctly. Restart still bad so I loaded the OpenHaltRestart.kext and the restart works ok.

It seems that for me one or more of the kext's provided crashes my system. Looking at the error log I found the following "The process has forked and you can not use this CoreFoundation functionalty safely."

Later today I am going to resarch the kexts provided and attempt to find out what they are for. If anyone has information on this it would speed my quest.

It looks like the last issue has to do with puting the screen to sleep, probably why some of the other kext files for the video????

hi guys problem with alc883 has been removed and i have uploaded that file in my site you can download it from ther

the link is

http://sites.google.com/site/rajeshmagics/

• 1 year later...