New to Logic on the Mac!

MultiacMan

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to ask these questions, but here goes - help gratefully received in pointing me in the right direction!

I've used Logic Audio Platinum on PC for many years, and use a rack-mounted PC for live music performance. I was somewhat miffed when Apple left PC users high and dry some years ago...

After agonising over the decision to be made, I bought Cubase, but somehow have never managed to summon up the courage to actually load it up. I have finally ordered a MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz with the 7200 rpm drive, and am about to get Logic Studio.

My questions are twofold:

1. Is the emagic Unitor 8 mk II OK with this setup, or should I be looking to upgrade this?

2. What audio interfaces should I consider in terms of affordability and quality? I need a minimum of four channels in and six out.

Hope this rambling post makes sense. Thanks in anticipation.

sorry i dont know the unitor 8.

you can use every firewire interface.

i'm using a focusrite und a friend uses fireface to record.

maybe this will help you a bit

The unitor 8 did have some problems in the past only if you had more than one cascaded. If you had like two or three, only the first one would have it's ports recognised. I think this had a fix at Apple's Support website.

In what concerns about a good soundcard, I think you should try and search for some midrange M-Audio's.

L.

1. Is the emagic Unitor 8 mk II OK with this setup

It is ok but its a 19'' rack so its not very portable

2. What audio interfaces should I consider in terms of affordability and quality?

RME do a good audio interface RME Fireface 400 or 800, 400 is better for laptop, 800 is 19'' rack again

I use a Motu 828mkII with Logic and it runs great. Its a little more muscle than you need maybe but its got decent pre-amps and handy mic/line inputs right up front. Will rack nicely with your Unitor too.

You might find that LOgic 8 has a steep-ish learning curve for you. If so, I recommend the MacProVideo tutorials which, if you're industrious enough you can find torrents of.

1. Is the emagic Unitor 8 mk II OK with this setup

It is ok but its a 19'' rack so its not very portable

2. What audio interfaces should I consider in terms of affordability and quality?

RME do a good audio interface RME Fireface 400 or 800, 400 is better for laptop, 800 is 19'' rack again

Also an extremely good choice as well as the MOTU 828mkII.

Although, despite not having the same "name legacy" that most MOTU's have, the Edirol UA-1000 wich also has the 19' format.(the only bad thing about it might have for you is the fact it is an interface that uses usb 2.0).

Their price won't be so high (arround 500 USD) on websites like ebay, amazon, etc.

L.