My system not reboot!

138 posts in this topic

I haven't two partitions, the systems are installed in two hard drives, one one IDE0 and the other in the IDE1, i would like of restore from DVD disk, no is possible? If is possible as i can it do this?

I haven't two partitions, the systems are installed in two hard drives, one one IDE0 and the other in the IDE1, i would like of restore from DVD disk, no is possible? If is possible as i can it do this?

I wanted to know which is which. The DVD shows you have one hard drive with two partitions. Once I find out which disk and partition Mac OS is on I will be able to tell you how to restore the kernel.

The instructions in this forum worked for me. My Athlon64 reboots fine now :D

Try this:

1. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

2. Type the following:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel
cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_noacpi

3. Download this: 0xED.

4. Install it and run it.

5. Click File -> open by path.

6. Enter the path: /Volumes/<your root disk here>/<your username here>/Desktop/mach_kernel

7. You will see the kernel in hex.

8. Click in the box labelled offset. Type 8D2B8

9. The cursor will move to the correct line.

10. Find the letters EB FE 90 90

11. Replace them with B0 FE E6 64.

12. Save and exit

13. Go back to the terminal

14. Type:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /
<type your password>

Now type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The boot plist file will open. Find the section <string></string> and insert Platform=ACPI so the line looks like this:

<string>Platform=ACPI</string>

Save and exit by pushing Ctrl+X then Y.

15. Now shutdown your computer. When you have restarted it, the shutdown and restart options should both work.

This only works on the 10.4.4 kernel supplied with Myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 disk, and Jas' 10.4.6 (I think!). Bottom line check what you're replacing before you do it. If it doesn't match, don't do it!!

Hex editing your kernel without being sure what you are doing is a sure recipe for disaster. If your language is a barrier to understanding the above, I suggest you leave it alone and put up with the problem. If you are still keen, use a fresh install or at least ensure you have backed up your system.

If things do break, try booting from the mach_kernel_noacpi in your Desktop, or copy the kernel back from your boot DVD.

Good luck!!

Thanks tokyovigilante for the guide! It worked great except for one area... the restart function just turns off my computer... any thoughts? I knew a few other people have been having this issue and it was resolved by putting:

in the com.apple.Boot.plist file, but that has not worked for me. Here is my com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am using 10.4.5, the osx86_10.4.5_amd-intel_sse2-3 release:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.4.1

Boot Volume: Apple Mac OS X86

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

- Jason

I wanted to know which is which. The DVD shows you have one hard drive with two partitions. Once I find out which disk and partition Mac OS is on I will be able to tell you how to restore the kernel.

Oh my God, excuse me i really have two partitions, in my hard drive an with label "Macintosh HD" and other with the label "Macintosh Programs", i had forgetful of this. Well but as i can it find which is the "Macintosh HD", i can it mount the partition with the same commands of the linux.

mount /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Therefore, i find the the disk1 is the main partition.

Oh my God, excuse me i really have two partitions, in my hard drive an with label "Macintosh HD" and other with the label "Macintosh Programs", i had forgetful of this. Well but as i can it find which is the "Macintosh HD", i can it mount the partition with the same commands of the linux.

mount /dev/disk1 /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Therefore, i find the the disk1 is the main partition.

Right. I don't think talking you through the kernel restore is fruitful. I think the best course of action is one of two things:

1. Pick whatever partition your data is NOT on. Reinstall OS X to that partition. You will be able to access your data on the other partition.

2. Take you hard drive out. Put it in an external enclosure. Find a friend who has a Mac. Plug in your hard drive to their computer. You will be able to access your data.

I suggest option two as it is safest.

Well i'm tired of it try resolve this problem, i go new it do the reports and re-install all my system, unfortunately this will be my solution. Thank you tokyovigilante for all help.

• 2 weeks later...

Simply editing the kernel worked for me. I didn't have to add Platform=ACPI in the com.apple.boot.plist on my new AMD/Abit system. Thanks much for all the advice! On my older Intel motherboard, restarting worked without needing any modification (as did the audio, and the LAN, and the...) :P

Hi! :(

I want to share something:

I use a Wireless (min PCI-E Athero AR5006X chipset) on my SONY SZ Laptop,can shoutdown only and can't restart/sleep.after I modify Mash_kernel & add "platform=ACPI",the restart/sleep still don't work.I try 2 hours and find this:I must disbale airport first before restart/Sleep,If I do this, the restart works,but sleep still doesn't work.

If remove Wireless Card From Laptop,restart will be work without any config,but sleep still doesn't work,I need both airport & sleep.....

Disable airport before each restart is very touble.....so open your system preferences->network->airport->options..check"Disconnect from wireless networks when i log out". then restart works great.in my cause,both"Platform=ACPI" and Mash_kernel modify are not needed.

Hope this info could help someone.Sorry about my badly english. :P

BTW,SONY SZ has Double VGA adapter design,I install & use OS X on Stamina(Intel GMA 950) mode,don't use Speed(nVidia Geforce FX GO 7400) mode.

• 2 weeks later...

omni's solution had been placed at Tips And Tricks Wiki - Fixing the restart function.

According to belgrano, for 10.4.3 kernel, the offset is 0x8CB27. Source, omni. And now there're two versions of the offset to the 10.4.4/5/6 - Darwin 8.4.1. One is offset 0x8D2BB and the other is offset 0x8D2B8. So make sure the source code to be EB FE 90 90 before replacing them with B0 FE E6 64.

• 1 month later...
this was on the old win2osx.net forum...mach_kernel 10.4.4 , offset 0x8D2BB, put the following bytes: B0 FE E6 64
It's in "Tricks and Techniques" the old forum's Wiki. (Admin, is there an "InsanelyMac" wiki?)

Anyway it adds two instructions: "mov al,0FEh out 64h,al" that reset the PS/2 controller. To make this really reliable, if you have a PS/2 mouse, about 10 instructions are needed. It is much better with a USB setup, also my new PS/2 fix improves things a bit, too.

At worse it hangs and you hit Reset anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
And now there're two versions of the offset to the 10.4.4/5/6 - Darwin 8.4.1. One is offset 0x8D2BB and the other is offset 0x8D2B8. So make sure the source code to be EB FE 90 90 before replacing them with B0 FE E6 64.

This means if we are running 10.4.4+, we need to make the changes at offset 0x8D2BB ANDat offset 0x8D2B8? I could not find anyone else on the forum who has done this.

Guys, sorry for my HexWorkShop (Win32 environment). It was just example; you may use any hexeditor you like, in any environment you like.

Below is shot of HexEditor (www.ex-cinder.com/hexeditor.html) under OSX

kernelhexeditmacos9gx.th.png

At left side - kernel before editing, at right side - after.

This worked perfect for me also.

Cheers for the workaround guys (whoever found out the original hack)

P.S this i am using jas 10.4.7 from the demon.

The instructions in this forum worked for me. My Athlon64 reboots fine now :)

Try this:

1. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

2. Type the following:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel
cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_noacpi

3. Download this: 0xED.

4. Install it and run it.

5. Click File -> open by path.

6. Enter the path: /Volumes/<your root disk here>/<your username here>/Desktop/mach_kernel

7. You will see the kernel in hex.

8. Click in the box labelled offset. Type 8D2B8

9. The cursor will move to the correct line.

10. Find the letters EB FE 90 90

11. Replace them with B0 FE E6 64.

12. Save and exit

13. Go back to the terminal

14. Type:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /
<type your password>

Now type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The boot plist file will open. Find the section <string></string> and insert Platform=ACPI so the line looks like this:

Save and exit by pushing Ctrl+X then Y.

15. Now shutdown your computer. When you have restarted it, the shutdown and restart options should both work.

This only works on the 10.4.4 kernel supplied with Myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 disk, and Jas' 10.4.6 (I think!). Bottom line check what you're replacing before you do it. If it doesn't match, don't do it!!

Hex editing your kernel without being sure what you are doing is a sure recipe for disaster. If your language is a barrier to understanding the above, I suggest you leave it alone and put up with the problem. If you are still keen, use a fresh install or at least ensure you have backed up your system.

If things do break, try booting from the mach_kernel_noacpi in your Desktop, or copy the kernel back from your boot DVD.

Good luck!!

I did it by your way

But it still could only reboot but not shutdown.

Help!!

This means if we are running 10.4.4+, we need to make the changes at offset 0x8D2BB ANDat offset 0x8D2B8? I could not find anyone else on the forum who has done this.

You will find them either at offset 0x8D2BB OR at offset 0x8D2B8, not both. The key is to find the right place to put the right instruction. One command should be enough to trigger the hardware reset. Working fine for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...