Shuttle SG31G2 Install

arthur1

19 posts in this topic

This is a quick overview on how to install OSX on a Shuttle SG31G2. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out all the items that I needed, so I'm reproducing it here to help other folks with similar hardware (Intel ICH7 & NVidia). I posted more of my reasoning here but I've condensed things for the important information here.

Hardware:

• Mobo: Shuttle SG31G2
  • Video: NVidia 8600 GT 256mb
  • Wireless: an old Netgear PCI I had hanging around (lspci: Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller)

What I used:

I used this as my primary guide and this to help with some issues. Most of what I've done at this point was trial and error, but I've got a stable system that does pretty much everything I need.

I removed my video card for the install as it seemed to created difficulty for the installer. This may or may not be necessary in hind sight. Since my motherboard has built in Intel GMA, this was not a problem. If you are just using the on board video, skip the NVidia parts here.

Step 1: Install

• Boot from the boot 1-2-3 disk
  • Swap to the retail Leopard disk
  • Format drive as GUID, OS X journaled
  • Install OS X
  • Reboot

Step 2: Boot partition

• Follow Munky's instructions for creating the EFI partition. This was the most important part for me as I wanted everything to boot cleanly. It will also allow for storing all the kexts outside of your extensions folder, making updates much cleaner.
  • Once you have the EFI partition mounted, mount your boot 1-2-3 disk, then mount the intrid.iso which is on the boot 1-2-3 disk. Now copy the kexts from the intrid.iso into your /Volumes/EFI/Extensions folder. This should give you a bootable EFI partition.
  • create an com.apple.Boot.plist (copy over /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Volumes/EFI/)

If you want to auto boot, you need to add a string to the kernel flags item in the com.apple.Boot.plist file. You can use the disk label or the uuid of the disk. Popular wisdom seems to suggest using uuid for the disk, you can get the uuid by:

diskutil info /Volumes/DISK_NAME

. It is easy to use osx86tools to then add this string to the com.apple.Boot.plist- you should have something that looks like: boot-uuid=C8A8588E-133F-3958-9AF5-727399F78C2D in the kernel flags area in osx86tools.

• Reboot
  • Update system to 10.5.5
  • Reboot

Step 3: Customize

• Backup your extensions folder. Use the osx86tools Backup Extensions option to keep a clean set of extensions. This is really helpful if you have to do lots of testing with kexts. It will also be helpful for figuring out how to keep your system clean.
  • Install video drivers. In my case, the NVidia install was simple and fast. I also used os86tools to add an EFI string with my card information to the com.apple.Boot.plist. Note that you'll have to merge this into your com.apple.Boot.plist on your EFI partition. Do this for two reasons- one, apparently this makes the hardware detection cleaner and two, when you do a system update from apple, your customizations will not be wiped out. Update I would just use the EFI Studio or osx86 EFI string approach. I've stripped out my nvidia kext changes and it works well with my 8600GT.
  • Shutdown
  • Install NVidia card
  • Reboot
  • Audio: I downloaded the hardware drivers with osx86tools for my onboard audio card. Used kext helper to install them. I then used the AppleHDAPatcher with the right driver information for my card to patch the kexts I just installed. After I did this, I used diff to look at the changes between my clean install and the patches. I took the patched files, moved them to the EFI partition, and restored the originals.
  • Audio: I removed the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from /Volumes/EFI which prevented my audio patches from working. Once this was removed, I had audio, could even select output between line out, headphone, and digital out in Audio Midi Setup.
  • Ethernet: I used the driver from osx86tools with no luck, so I tried editing the Yukon.kext with the information provided here which also did not work- because, from what I can tell, the extension that Apple is now using is: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist, (discovered here). Followed the same steps, but on this file instead of the Yukon2.plist. I also added ethernet to my com.apple.Boot.plist which allowed the network to come up immediately when I saved the plist file.
  • Power management. Machine did not seem to shut down cleanly. I used this kext http://store.psystar.com/opensource/openhaltrestart to get proper shutdowns.
  • Time Machine: For what ever reason, Time Machine is sensitive to your network configuration. I messed around with a bunch of stuff before I used this IONetworkingFamily.kext. I reapplied my changes for the AppleYukon.kext (ethernet) after I had installed this. UPDATE: This kext was causing stranges crashes an ultimately rendered my machine unable to boot. I booted into single user mode, removed the IONetworkingFamily.kext and replaced it with my backup. Things are running fine now with the exception of time machine.

Next Steps:

• I need to do a real diff between my original backup of my Extensions folder and move all the modified kexts into my /Volumes/EFI partition.

Some thoughts:

• This was more complicated then it was cracked up to be- largely because each machine is different and the files needed for the motherboard and associated hardware are tricky to track down. One has to read many a forum post to find out what files and what techniques are needed to get things working.
  • While everything seems to work right, and xbench is reporting decent scores, there are moments where I wonder if things are working "right"- for example, mounting one of my other machines takes quite a bit of time. I'm unclear if this is my other machines or the toastertosh.
  • I really like osx86 and EFI studio's ability to insert EFI strings. I wish the interfaces to both of them was cleaner. I also like osx86s ability to download drivers- something like apt-get (ahem). Of course with the impending Chameleon, I have no idea what this means for this guide- hopefully all our hardware can be described in EFI and we won't have to worry about any of this. Let's hope.

arthur1: I have a similar setup with an SG31G2 and I am having a problems with the network. Could you tell me what exactly you did with this comment? I did modified the Yukon2 but still no luck.

I also added ethernet to my com.apple.Boot.plist

Thanks!

Hi a489-

If you look at this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4446&st=40# post, you'll see which file you need to modify. The modification instructions are the same as listed here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=245032

It is a bit cumbersome to do- I'm trying to see if I can make it work via EFI. It does however work from the EFI partition.

arthur1: I have a similar setup with an SG31G2 and I am having a problems with the network. Could you tell me what exactly you did with this comment? I did modified the Yukon2 but still no luck.

Thanks!

Hi there, i have a successfully install on the same Machine Shuttle XPC SG31G2.

You don´t need modify anything if you use my postet Kext and Kexthelper from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=137933

It should work!

Martin from Germany

Thanks guys I now have ethernet working and my 8800GT via an EFI string via the com.apple.Boot.plist from my EFI partitions.

Do you guys have problems with sleep, shutdown and restart? I can't seem to wake it from sleep. What other kext are you using for your setup (SG31G2)?

Thanks.

Martin- Do you have Time Machine working with this setup? I haven't managed to get it to work yet

Hi Arthur1,

i´ve try´d TimeMachine last Weekend but it didn´t work! It say´s "Drive not Found"???

But the external USB Drive is present in Finder and also on Desktop...don´t know how to fix it. I have changed the partition to Guid, MBR...nothing happens.

Thanks guys I now have ethernet working and my 8800GT via an EFI string via the com.apple.Boot.plist from my EFI partitions.

Do you guys have problems with sleep, shutdown and restart? I can't seem to wake it from sleep. What other kext are you using for your setup (SG31G2)?

Thanks.

No Problems here!

I used "standart" install. the only one i must use is dsmos.kext and i install manualy ethernet, Sound (ALC888) and Graphic after iAtkos 5i install.

Woops, forgot that in my guide. I used this: http://store.psystar.com/opensource/openhaltrestart Works well for me.

Arthur1 - Shutdown and Restart work great with the above file, but I can't wake from sleep. The fan on the video card goes but nothing on the screen. Any ideas? What are the extensions that you have in the EFI/Extension folder.

I have tried the DSDT patcher but still no luck.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Never mind, it was a bios setting that was causing the problem (VGA resume S3 needed to be disabled) Wake works now.

Have you guys managed to get AFP & Bonjour (itunes sharing) services working with your appleyukon kext?

My machine appears on the network. Connection seems somewhat slow, but AFP has always seemed slow. I've used itunes without issue- both sharing between computers and using airport express. Audio patch seems critical for airport express though (does not work for me without it).

I have a vanilla install working great on the SG31G2 including GB ethernet and Time Machine. No latency while mounting network volumes. I used the Royco fix to get ethernet working, which I'll summarize for convenience here:

The "Royco" fix for Marvell 88E8056 Gigabit ethernet:

LAN: This is only for rev. 2.0, rev. 3.3, or any revision that uses Yukon controller 8056. For those that have 8053 (rev 1.0), LAN works without modification. This how-to was written by Royco. If you find it helpful, be sure to thank him! =)

- Open the terminal from /Applications/Utilities and type the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)

(to: <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>) <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)

(to: <string>0x436411AB</string>) <-- change "62" to "64"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper$</string>)

(to: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper$</string>) <-- change "53" to "56"

Ctrl O <--- Thats letter O

Enter

Ctrl X

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot.

After rebooting your LAN might not be working yet and showing up as disconnected. Do the following.

- Go to System Preferences, Click on the network icon.

- On the left pane select your ethernet, on the right pane where it says "Configure" select "off".

- Click apply.

- Now back to "Configure" select "Using DHCP". Click apply.

- Your LAN should be working by now.

Also, TM works great for me and has no problems after patching the IONetworking kext to fix the UUID error as described here

This fix will set IOBuiltin = true for all network devices.

• 7 months later...

Dear Arthur, I know it's a long time since anyone posted something here, but I bought a Shuttle SG31G2 just because I had previously found your post here ;) Your help is requested...!

Mate, even by following your steps, I am having a hard time setting up the mobo as per your instructions...

I start up with (latest, from this forum) BOOT-1-3-2 and then I enter my original, retail Leopard 10.5.0. On the next reboot, even with the BOOT-1-3-2 CD-R (SATA) I never got anything going (stuck at mac white screen), so I assumed you wanted us to use the retail Leopard 10.5.4 disc. I got it via some download site, burned the disc, and still can't get to installing it from this vanilla/original disc.

Following the reboot after the first install, were you able to get inside Leopard again? I mean before applying EFI partition creation/modification.

I use this Shuttle as it is with 4GB RAM and a QuadCore 2.83GHz CPU. I keep the same Intel main graphics adapter, the Intel audio and Marvell ethernet one too.

P.S. When I did a -v during boot, the error "FireWire GUID 0xffffffffffffffff not valid!" which was being repeated quite a lot...

P.S. I hope this will work because despite having 2 macs already, I want a fast machine and I really don't want to install Windows 7 RTM instead...!

Thank you!