Compaq R3000z Good To Go...even Wireless...

Tripleg

26 posts in this topic

All right, so I have a Compaq R3000Z with the AMD64 3000+ CPU that is dual booting OSx86 and Windows XP. The image was installed with Ubuntu and patched with v0.4 of Maxxuss's fantastic work.

Of course there is no hardware acceleration with the GeForce4 440 Go card, but the stock Broadcom wireless card works using the method at the link reproduced below:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index...topic=1263&st=0

It's pretty damn fast right now. XBench score of 48-51 with only 512 of RAM and the crappy stock HD. Damn, I wish I knew more about graphics drivers, I feel useless in regards to the final key...

• 3 weeks later...

Another R3000z success here...!

Compaq R3340US, AMD64 Clawhammer SSE2 3200+, 512MB, 80GB.

Mounted Deadmoo image over a primary partition (after win primary) using win dd application and dual booting with WinXP using Win boot loader. Have to manually select darwin partition in menu during boot

Video: VESA3.0. Had to remove the nVidia extensions with VMWare first in order to boot. No accel and 1024x728 as well.

Sound: Totally! Even the side vol controls with Graphic confirmation on screen.

Wifi: Used above patch and recognized as AirPort. Working 100%

Bluetooth: Using USB Linksys BT dongle with Siemens S55 phone, GPRS internet works 100% (had to search s55 modem string on the net and edit apn settings).

Card reader: not working

Modem: not working

Internal Ethernet: apparently works, haven't tested well.

Mouse: Touchpad and external USB

Keyboard: internal and external usb.

Current issues:

1. If booting on battery, sometimes PS2 extension gets disabled (but usb keyb/mouse still work)

2. A few times doesn't shutdown and have to force it holding power button (loses some changes done in session)

3. Loses PS2 extension when plugging cards in reader or unrecognized usb devices. Reboot fixes it.

4. Video :blink:

5. Eats battery fast. Probably lack of video accel consumes more cpu juice.

• 4 months later...

Hey Tripleg,

I figured out what the problem was for my case.

First in windows i used CPU-Z to see what my clock speed frequency was and it displayed 800 MHz, I knew that could not be right as an AMD 64 3000+ is clocked at 1.8 gigz.

Went into power options in windows and changed from Laptop/portable to Always On.

Immediatly the frequency went up to 1.8 gigz

OSX boots up super fast now. Give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

mka101,

Glad to see you are still looking at this. I have had a busy work week, so haven't been able to play with it in a while. Yeah, I had done that earlier, so no dice...

Are you saying that you managed to get a normal X-Bench score after doing that?

I am getting frustrated with build 8f1111. I think I might go back to 8f1099, that was much faster for me (less SSE3 instruction usage).

Cheers!

man lol so weird

My ethernet wasn't working either even though it was detected.

I disabled it in windows and that is why it wouldn't work in OSX either. So apparently whatever you do in windows effects OSX (EG. disabling hardware etc.).

Not sure if that is for all types of computers, but it certainly happens on Compaq Laptops

Also i applied the Battery fix thing to the power mangement kext because something dealing with ACPI was not right. After replacing the kext i have the battery icon and my power mangment options changed so i could choose what modes to run on (Kinda like in windows).

When i changed it to "Normal" it went back to the slowness again and when i chose custom it was fast.

I am still experiencing though the same problem that i had with the CPU stats on xbench. And i still can't do the microbench test. So i don't know what is up with that.

Also to note that i got WIRELESS TO WORK! :-D w00t w00t :D

This is a fully functional computer. The only thing that is screwed up though is the Lan Card. It is detected and is the correct one, but when i plug in the cable i do not get an IP address. Also if i hook that up with wireless the computer freezes :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dual boot R3310CA, with AMD XP-M 300+, 60Gb HD, 512mb ram.....Anyway Has anyone else run into an issue with there keyboard not working and if they touch a key on the key board it makes the touch pad stop working. But if I start the computer with an external usb mouse everything works fine, very wierd.

Is there any tweaks that you guys have done to get your system to work the best that it can? Especially video setting would be good.

Oh yeah I have wireless card working also check this thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...pic=4641&st=140

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Could people that replied here and others that own the Compaq Presario R3000 AMD64 laptop and that have OSX running fine on it post here how and what they installed?

I keep getting an kernel panic error after rëinstalling. If it runs with others, what am I doing wrong then? For the story of my installment of OSX, read this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34425

Another R3000z success here...!

Compaq R3340US, AMD64 Clawhammer SSE2 3200+, 512MB, 80GB.

Mounted Deadmoo image over a primary partition (after win primary) using win dd application and dual booting with WinXP using Win boot loader. Have to manually select darwin partition in menu during boot

Video: VESA3.0. Had to remove the nVidia extensions with VMWare first in order to boot. No accel and 1024x728 as well.

Sound: Totally! Even the side vol controls with Graphic confirmation on screen.

Wifi: Used above patch and recognized as AirPort. Working 100%

Bluetooth: Using USB Linksys BT dongle with Siemens S55 phone, GPRS internet works 100% (had to search s55 modem string on the net and edit apn settings).

Card reader: not working

Modem: not working

Internal Ethernet: apparently works, haven't tested well.

Mouse: Touchpad and external USB

Keyboard: internal and external usb.

Current issues:

1. If booting on battery, sometimes PS2 extension gets disabled (but usb keyb/mouse still work)

2. A few times doesn't shutdown and have to force it holding power button (loses some changes done in session)

3. Loses PS2 extension when plugging cards in reader or unrecognized usb devices. Reboot fixes it.

4. Video :whistle:

5. Eats battery fast. Probably lack of video accel consumes more cpu juice.

Will try to go this way then.

Other option is 10.4.7 Server from JAS.

Anyone works with the Server version and is it having a different installationproces?

• 2 months later...

I have a Compaq R3000Z too, and I have been trying to get OSX working using the latest "JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskut" DVD. and after a good clean install, selecting only the AMD option, and nothing else, I am getting stuck at boot at the DNSResponder can't read user specified local host name......Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this error? ...I tried the -x -f and reinstalled it more than once.

post-86706-1172205188_thumb.jpg

Edited by FreeOSX

Good news, after searching around for hours and trying everything, I found something that got it to successfully boot into OSX. The broadcom, volume control, sound, touch pad, USB mouse, and keyboard all work right out of the box. The video card does not seem to be set right (1024X768 no accell), and the CPU fans is always stuck at full speed (activity monitor shows only a 5% cpu usage), really annoying.

Here is what I did:

1. installed using this DVD: JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskut

2. ran disk utilities and set as one partition.

3. selected only the amd option from the installer.

4. after installer finishes, reboot, but she hangs at setting services.

5. reboot again using -s and run these commands(http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=38518):

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir disabled

mv NV* disabled

kextcache -k ./

reboot

6. OSX now runs on the r3000z

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a presario R3000.

But when I try to install 10.4.7 or 8 the installation is very very slow. It takes ages t install so I never gotto the end.

did anyone had this problem? anyone can help.

Thanks a lot.

smmonla

I do not know,but I have a good resolution.

I am unable to do anything because no keyboard.

I am using 10.4.7

Did u do anything specific for u to able to use keyboard. for info the touchpas work sometimes.

Thanks a lot for u help.

thanks a lot the -f -v option worked.

thanks again.

i check my resolution and get back to you.

I have 1024 768 resolution.

Iam new to mac, but if i found a way to get better reolution i will inorm you.

I have a Presario R3275 (Pentium 4 3.0).

I didn't get 10.4.8 to install (Darwin freezing on booting). I installed 10.4.7 with SSE2 for Intel.

All's OK, except for the audio (SoundMax Integrated Digital 1012-4341).

To get a 1280 x 800 resolution, a used Katana.

Bluetooth is OK.

Ethernet and wireless were OK only in the first login (after a clean install). After this, I lost ethernet and airport. Then I applied PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.1.0 and both connections got life.

For the battery indication, I used PowerManagement patch.

The system is running fast. I have a MacMini Core Duo, and my Presario runs OK, not as like a real Mac machine, but not so bad :rolleyes:

My question is: did anyone get audio in a Presario R3000?

my audio is running, but i did not do anything when i installed Mac os, I automaticaly got my audio.

tell me if i can help you?

could you tell me in details how you got a 1280 x 800 resolution.

thanks a lot

• 2 months later...

My R3000 - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8Ghz managed to boot with JaS 10.4.0.8 SSE2+3 PPF1+2 but I have to use rd=disk0s1 on Boot selection screen everytime.

Keyboard and mouse works rather unpredictably, sometimes work, sometimes just... irresponsive.

Networkcard and wifi's no where to be seen, the NVidia 440 Go is recognised after using Macvidia's driver 1.0.81. But no widescreen and no acceleration.

I'll try out the successful solutions listed here for my problems and update with u soon.

hi,

my r3484ea does boot, but i the processor (amd athlon 64 3400+) keeps stuck at 800MHz, i have teh latest bios... does anyone have an idea?

edit....

just updated my bios to f35 and it went to 2200